removing file formats from finder ‘open with’ list?

BB
Posted By
B_Brooks
Oct 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When we right click an image file with the mouse and go to ‘open with’ apart from the normal applications (preview, photoshop, etc etc) we have a huge great list of ‘short-cuts’ image convert formats icons with an arrow icon (with the photoshop/image ready icon inside). Is there anyway to remove these shortcuts as we never use them and the list is currently massive!

cheers

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Oct 20, 2006
Have you tried asking on the Apple discussion boards?
BB
B_Brooks
Oct 20, 2006
yes, but nobody had an answer. Tried numerous utilities to repair/rremove the icons but still no luck. I came on here because the shortcut links are Adobe photoshop/image-ready ones – so thought theri might be answer over here?!
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Oct 20, 2006
If all they are are aliases, you can just hunt them down and delete them.
BB
B_Brooks
Oct 21, 2006
They are not aliases (sorry the arrow comment might have confused used but the icon is a downwards ‘hollow’ arrow with for example a feather icon inside). These are actual photoshop/image-ready shortcut icons for preset image changes (a bit like mac’s automater short-cut links to change files quickly without loading automator).

Have other people got these icons or is it just me?!!!
MD
Mark_Douma
Oct 21, 2006
Go to the /Adobe Photoshop CS2/Samples/ folder, and inside, select the "Droplets" folder, control-click on it, and choose "Create Archive". Then trash the original Droplets folder and the .exe files should be removed the Open With list.
BB
B_Brooks
Oct 22, 2006
Mark – you’re a legend!!!

Problem solved. I’ve been scratching my head and trying to figure out where the links were for ages! Doh! Thanks very much.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections