LH
Posted By
Lawrence_Hensley
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to digital photography. I have an Olympus 3 megapixel camera, Elements, and Album. I’m learning and having a great time improving pictures with seemingly great results. I am loading the photos to a folder in my documents. Then using Album to organize and tag. I like to tag specific pictures for alteration. I then open them in Elements and go to re sizing. I try to size all of them to 8×10. Then edit them. I end up with each photo being saved at around 200 pixels per inch saved
in the photo shop format. psd? Am I doing the proper method? Also I have re sampeling un checked. My goal is to maintain the highest possible resolution after editing.
Thanks in advance!!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 21, 2003
It looks to me like you’ve got the most important parts covered – no resampling and you’re using a non-lossy format (PSD.) The only thing I can’t tell from your post is whether or not you’re saving an original copy somewhere. That’s not a requirement, but most of us do make sure we archive the original camera shot somewhere. As time goes by and skills improve, I know I’ve gone back to the original more than once because I decided I wanted to work on a fresh copy again. (I don’t use Album, so that might be what you’re describing and I just don’t recognize it.)

Some people might advocate editing before resizing. I’ve done it both ways and frankly can’t remember a time when it seemed to make any difference.

Your 200ppi resolution is probably a little lower than the usual target, but you are limited by that 3mp camera (like me.) If you’re happy with what you’re getting, I’d say to keep doing what you’re doing!
J
jhjl1
Nov 21, 2003
Yes you are correct. 200 PPI is considered by many to be the minimum ppi to strive for but many people seem to get good results at a lower PPI. You can do a search for PPI in this (or any other forum) and find some spirited discussion on the matter. Good luck and tread lightly on the subject of PPI.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh πŸ™‚
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
J
jhjl1
Nov 21, 2003
Beth wrote: Some people might advocate editing before resizing. I’ve done it both ways and frankly can’t remember a time when it seemed to make any difference.

James replies: I normally like to edit before resizing but in this case you will be using all but a fraction of your total data to obtain an 8X10 at around 200 PPI that I can’t see where it would matter.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh πŸ™‚
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections