BD
Posted By
Barron_Deland
Aug 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My company allows people to upload their images to dress up their content. We use Imagemagick to resize, crop, save thumbs, etc. Problem is that a small number of images that we get don’t work. They aren’t read as JPG and are passed as binary content that the browser won’t display. The image themselves are viewable in Photoshop when I download them (these are all the processed results of Imagemagick).

Looking at the files the ones that fail seem to have XML in the files (the xml content varies).

Best I can tell is that these images are generated by "Save as…" rather than "Save for web…".

The problem appears in all the browsers I tested on (IE7, FF, Safari).

Is there a known issue like this? Obviously I’m not 100% on my diagnosis since I don’t have access to the people who created the images. Any advice would be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
J_Maloney
Aug 18, 2008
CMYK images?
BD
Barron_Deland
Aug 18, 2008
The ones I’ve found, yes.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 18, 2008
There you go. Tell your uploaders not to use CMYK.
BD
Barron_Deland
Aug 18, 2008
I have painfully little control over the uploaders. I’m hoping I can process them in Imagemagick to be more usable.

Thanks for the clue on where to look, should make solving the problem a lot easier.
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2008
Why not Save for Web out of Photoshop?
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 19, 2008
Barron, are you using Imagemagick as part of a script? If so you can include a conditional statement that checks the color mode.

"if the file is CMYK then convert to RGB…"

Your butt’s covered.
SF
Steve_Fairbairn
Aug 19, 2008
House rule here: Never save JPGs as CMYK. Never. Not ever.
BD
Barron_Deland
Aug 19, 2008
Resolution is the Imgaemagick IF/THEN for CMYK images. Not trivial since IM is not great out of the box at CMYK -> RGB, but with some profiles I’m getting acceptable (but not perfect) results.

Thanks.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 19, 2008
You may have already seen this in your Google search…

converting rgb->cmyk and cmyk->rgb with imagemagick < http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-users/2005-Ja nuary/014529.html>
L
Lundberg02
Aug 19, 2008
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was the Photoshop forum.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 19, 2008
Lundy, Barron is having trouble with files produced by Photoshop. It would be silly to assume this is the wrong forum to inquire about CMYK JPG files produced by Photoshop.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections