cropping after using Lens Correction filter: an easy way?

SS
Posted By
Stan_Schwartz
Apr 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After using the Lens Correction filter, the resulting image usually has blank "white" areas where the image has been "pulled" away from its margins.

Cropping at this point is needed to take out the white areas. It’s usually a matter of adjusting the crop rectangle to just trim off those areas, but it takes a bit of time.

Is there any simple way to automate the crop so you crop it to the maximum size it can be? Can this be done somehow with an action?

Thanks, Stan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
Apr 15, 2007
In some cases, you may avoid cropping by selecting "Edge Extension" or "Background Color" for "Edge" option in the "Lense Distortion" dialog.

SimplePhotoshop.com <http://simplephotoshop.com/>
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 15, 2007
Is there any simple way to automate the crop so you crop it to the maximum size it can be? Can this be done somehow with an action?

This is such a simple and straightforward edit, Stan. Even if you could code it into an action or script, it would actually be quicker to just do it by hand.

* Hit C for crop tool
* Drag the crop to the full image area
* Hold Shift+Alt and drag one corner in until you hit the right spot.

Only if you had a huge number to do on a regular basis, would it be worth investigating the possibility of a batch action or script.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 15, 2007
You can scale the image up a bit in the Lens Correction dialog.
SS
Stan_Schwartz
Apr 16, 2007
Chris,

Step 3 in your sequence moves all 4 sides of the crop selection equally. Most of the time, when I use Lens Correction, it’s to correct a vertical perspective. The resultant image is basically "keystoned" (and sort of resembles the shape of home plate in baseball)and I usually don’t want to trim down the top.

Mathias, I have not used "scale" in lens correction. I tried using "scale" and I note that the image size and pixels/inch after doing so are the same–even though some of the picture has been cropped off.

Does scaling give the same results sharpness-wise as using bicubic smoother, which I understand is the best way to enlarge a photo in PS.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections