TP
Posted By
Ted_Paprocki
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Dimage Xi digital camera has a vignetting problem. Darker edges all around but especially evident in upper outer corners of landscapes (darker blue sky than center). I have read that one can correct vignetting by using an image of a gray card, making it a negative and then layering it over the original. Anyone have experience doing this or any other methods of dealing with this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RH
r_harvey
Aug 11, 2004
Somebody will be along soon with a fix…

However, this sort of thing can happen if you use wide angle or telephoto converters, and especially if they are not centered exactly on the lens. Also, filters and lens hoods can cause it.

The worst vignetting happens at shortest focal lengths, so try to zoom in a bit.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 11, 2004
Ted,

What version of Photoshop? if CS, then use the vignetting correction in the RAW-converter.

Remember to correct the corners only; sky gets darker towards the zenith.

When an older version: I did that in 7 by experimenting with a feathered elipse selection, that was inverted, then lightened up a bit with curves.

Always do these editings on a layer; better methods may cross your path in the future and layers are easely discarted.

Rob
HS
Henry_Skinner
Aug 11, 2004
Ted,

make forground color white
layers>new adjustment layer>levels (or any type will do) ok,ok change layer blending mode to screen
image> adjustments> invert
use the eliptical marquee to select the area where viginetting does not occur selection> invert
choose the greadient tool
gradient tool transparency check box checked
choose the transparent to white gradient
check the reverse checkbox
choose the radial gradient style
draw a gradient from the center of the image to a corner change opacity to taste

you can use a soft brush with a low opacity to paint white on the layer rathe than the gradient

HTH
Hank
TP
Ted_Paprocki
Aug 11, 2004
Thanks to all. I will experiment with these ideas.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections