JI
Posted By
Joe_Imhoff
Aug 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was wondering if anyone had any idea about this problem that I’ve been having. For some reason when I create a gradient that goes to zero opacity on either end it gets all scattered.

It was working fine and now I’ve reinstalled it in Windows Vista 64bit. I remember I had this problem the first time I installed it as well but then I turned the update on and it just went away before I really cared too much. Now I’ve put the update on though and it’s starting to bother me.

I even went and updated the graphics card as of recently which is a Nvidia 8600 gt which I’m leaning towards being the cause of the problem, but any ideas would be helpful.

Here is an image of how this gradient is supposed to look created using a black to white http://theebom.com/picturehost/gradient-fine.jpg

Here is how it actually looks using a black to white (0% opacity on the white) http://theebom.com/picturehost/gradient-broken.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
stevent
Aug 8, 2008
Did you check the dissolve mode in the gradient options (options bar) or (it sounds like) in the layers palette?
JI
Joe_Imhoff
Aug 8, 2008
The only thing I changed since I’ve installed it is the scratch disk settings and those have nothing to do with it. I don’t see a gradients options per say, but I have been through all the preferences and I turned on 3d hardware acceleration and flipped all the other switches and moved the sliders, I didn’t notice any change. If there’s another options menu I should be checking let me know (I have CS3 and I think they combined the options and preferences into one menu) And the blend mode in the layer palette is set to normal or to nothing (test is mostly on the background).

And the only problem I’m experiencing with the program is this issue. Everything else works exactly as expected and I haven’t noticed long think times or anything. As far as I can tell it is specifically a gradient with a loss of opacity.
JI
Joe_Imhoff
Aug 8, 2008
Wow, I’m an idiot. I don’t know how that got changed, but you were right, I finally saw where dissolve was turned on in the gradient tool bar. I don’t know how it got switched, since I was taught to use it I’ve never looked back at it. But it did, probably some wrong combination of shortcut keys. Anyways…. (Sigh of relief)

Thanks for your help,
-joe-

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections