PL
Posted By
Paul_L_UK
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just received this from a magazine mailing list – interesting.

CD-Rs – can you trust them?

Following our in-depth report on CD-Rs losing data within three years in December’s magazine, we have an update on this worrying phenomenon. 46% of all consumer digital photos are now stored on recordable CDs, so th prospect of CD-Rs dropping data after a mere three years in the dark (i.e. optimum storage conditions) is a worrying one indeed. We spoke to disc manufacturer, Hi-Space, about the findings:

"CD producers have done such a good job of persuading the public that CDs were indestructible, ever-lasting and perfect quality, that we’re now having to live up to those claims. And not all CDs are," commented Paul Chantry, UK sales manager for Hi-Space.

"CDs are manufactured to many different quality levels. If you’re really serious about the data you want to save to disk, particularly with digital photos, then you need to go one step further – CD-Rs made of 24 carat gold. This is not just a gimmick or aesthetic exercise, the metal in the CDR is genuine 24 carat gold and is far harder wearing than the silver normally used – so your data is much more secure. The price difference is minimal, and I can’t understand why for the sake of a few pence per disk someone would risk storing their data on an inferior disk."

Food for thought !!

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 21, 2003
24 caret gold?! Gee, I sure don’t remember seeing those on the shelf at Best Buy! 🙂
I
imacgirl
Nov 21, 2003
Paul,

I read something similar about this recently in the Dallas Morning News Tech section. Here’s <http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/index.html> more about it.

Edit: I forgot to include that the newspaper article said DVD’s are the safest storage medium.

Barb
B
BobHill
Nov 21, 2003
Hmmm. A bit has been left out of the review data. The quality of the laser burn of the internal metal (focus particularly) and the self "healing" characteristics of that metal is also of importance. Since unlike magnetic media, the "healing" attributes (closing of the micro dots) is normally due to reaction to heat. The ongoing upgrades to laser burners will add a lot more to the longevity of CD data, I suspect than just using "gold" is not the only item of importance. I’m looking forward to seeing more ‘blue’ laser use, which will even add to the storage space (40 times ‘red’ laser ability).

Bob
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 21, 2003
Barb,

Was that article online? I’m interested in the part about DVD’s.

Joe
I
imacgirl
Nov 21, 2003
Joe,

No, it was in the real newspaper on November 6, 2003, but unfortunately that was all they said about DVD’s, the question was about archiving photos on CD-R’s. Doesn’t help when they make a comment like that and leave you hangin’…I’m burning DVD’s and wonder also. It was in the Personal Technology section in a feature called "The Photo Desk" and their e-mail address is:

Maybe you can e-mail them and see if they can give you more details. I’m not sure if they only print the Q&A in the paper or if they will answer you directly. You may have to subscribe to find your answer, or I could look for you. 😉 Maybe I’ll submit a question about which are the best DVD’s to use, I’m currently using Verbatim DVD-R, but my testing is only a fews months old. 😉

Barb
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 21, 2003
Thanks Barb. I’m definitely going to email them. This whole 3 year CD life span thing has me concerned. I tend to use the cheapest brand CD for burning (you know the ones that are free after rebate at Office Max) so I’d like to know why/how DVD’s have a longer life span. It wouldn’t be any trouble for me to burn all my photo CD archives to DVD but with the added cost I’d like to know the reason(s) why DVDs are better.

I’ll post back if/when I get an answer.

Edit: Their e-mail address is rather humorous, looks like damn photo

Yes it does. 🙂

Joe
I
imacgirl
Nov 21, 2003
Joe,

I’ll keep an eye out for your question and answer in the tech section. I also looked up dallasnews.com (it’s the paper’s address and want to warn you they’re a bit cookie happy, so don’t bother going there), I couldn’t find a listing for the tech section. E-mailing them is the way to go…hope they give you a comprehensive answer. The majority of my stuff is on DVD’s, I burned a few CD-R’s and realized with the amount I shoot DVD’s are my best option. I’m hoping they come down in price soon, with increasing popularity they should.

Barb
MM
Michael Moody
Nov 22, 2003
So, it isn’t just an ugly rumor. I asked a question about this some months ago, and no one replied (I was beginning to think I had asked a dumb question). I guess the safest way for the time being is to backup to a second HDD.

wrote in message
Just received this from a magazine mailing list – interesting.
CD-Rs – can you trust them?

Following our in-depth report on CD-Rs losing data within three years in December’s magazine, we have an update on this worrying phenomenon. 46% of all consumer digital photos are now stored on recordable CDs, so th prospect of CD-Rs dropping data after a mere three years in the dark (i.e. optimum storage conditions) is a worrying one indeed. We spoke to disc manufacturer, Hi-Space, about the findings:

"CD producers have done such a good job of persuading the public that CDs were indestructible, ever-lasting and perfect quality, that we’re now having to live up to those claims. And not all CDs are," commented Paul Chantry, UK sales manager for Hi-Space.

"CDs are manufactured to many different quality levels. If you’re really serious about the data you want to save to disk, particularly with digital photos, then you need to go one step further – CD-Rs made of 24 carat gold. This is not just a gimmick or aesthetic exercise, the metal in the CDR is genuine 24 carat gold and is far harder wearing than the silver normally used – so your data is much more secure. The price difference is minimal, and I can’t understand why for the sake of a few pence per disk someone would risk storing their data on an inferior disk."
Food for thought !!

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections