CS
Posted By
carl_sutherland
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I needed to do an archive and reinstall of OS X 10.3 recently. Things went well except for iPhoto. I wound up with a bunch of thumbnails and a lot of duplicates in the iPhoto window. I went through and deleted manually the thumbnails-they were easy to recognise by the file size. I ran iPhoto diet but it didn’t do much. Is there any way of deleting the duplicates short of a one by one select and delete the duplicates?

Thanks

Carl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 23, 2004
Carl,

I can’t offer any help apart from suggesting you ask this question on the Apple iPhoto forum as well and I’ve heard that reinstalling the OS X after iPhoto 4 has been installed has created problems for others as well.
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 23, 2004
Mark,

I did about 48 hours ago and nobody has responded. I was hoping you might know something. Maybe Barbara will.

Thanks

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 23, 2004
Hi, Carl. I don’t use iphoto so I can’t help you. If you don’t want to wait for Joe or one of the other iphoto folk here, when you post your topic at apple you might want to address it to Socrates and Old Toad. They’re the iphoto gurus there.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 23, 2004
Gee, Carl, I usually take a quick look through there for PE questions, but I didn’t see your topic. They’ve been working on discussions so you might want to check that it really did post okay.
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 23, 2004
Barbara,

I posted it on the iPhoto forum. Should I post it somewhere else also?

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 23, 2004
Hi, Carl. No, I meant they’re in the iphoto forum. I can’t think of anyplace else there where you’d be more likely to get an answer to that one.
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 23, 2004
Good morning all, I am just starting using iPhoto and am amazed at what it does. I had my own photo filing system on my G4, which I am trying hard to un-learn. Its like driving on the opposite side of the road when you are traveling, my brain reverts.

What is the link for the iPhoto forum?
I would like to read it, as I do have several questions which I am sure are already addressed there. Joe gave me some great instructions which I shall go back to and study thoroughly now that I have iPhoto.
Thanks,
Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 23, 2004
Carl,

No help here I’m afraid. As far as I know you just have to click-delete. Were the duplicates created in the same folder as the original within iPhoto’s Library? I’m curious as to where the duplicates were put. I don’t suppose you tried to reinstall again have you? Maybe the duplicate problem was a one time deal?

Jane, here’s the link <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@@iphoto> to Apple’s iPhoto forum.

Joe
JC
Jane Carter
Apr 23, 2004
Hi Joe, Thanks for that link, I am going to look thru it now. So far I’ve had no problems with iPhoto, just is taking me a bit of time.
I love this OS X and my new Mac, learning everything is fun, but time consuming. And its all coming together now, this is my third week.
Haven’t touched Garage Band yet, however. I need to get the basics down first. Jane
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 23, 2004
Joe,

I’m not sure what you mean by the "same folder". For instance, they all are in the iPhoto folder as far as I can tell. As I study this, I can tell that many (most? all?) of the duplicates are in the same days folder as the originals. There will be a group of images showing the jpg icon and numbered(for instance) 2238.jpg. Then there will be a group showing a tiny thumbnail of the image with number (for instance)IMG_1862.jpg.

I have not tried to do this again.

Thanks

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 23, 2004
Carl, glad to see that Phil and Old Toad were able to help. Did their suggestions work for you?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 23, 2004
Carl,

I was just wondering where these duplicates were located. In iPhoto’s library you’ll find a bunch of folders (as well as other files) that are labeled by year: 1999, 2000, 2001, etc. Your photos are organized within these folders by month and then by day: 05>31 (that’d be May 31st) for instance.

Open iPhoto and looked at an image that had a duplicate, note the date and then navigate to your iPhoto library. Unless you put the library somewhere else, it’ll be in your User folder’s Pictures folder. Open that up and navigate to the year/month/day folder of the image. I’m wondering if there is actually a duplicate of the image in that folder. If the duplicate is indeed in this folder, then you’ll probably need to delete manually (as you were doing) or follow the advice posted in your thread over at Apple. If, however, you only have the original in the folder, that tells me that there is something else going on.

Joe
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 24, 2004
Barbara and Joe,

Phil’s suggestion does not work as does not the option of deleting all the originals using iPhoto Diet as there are some originals that are not duplicated. If I delete the originals I will lose some images.

The duplicates seem to be in the same day folder as the originals.

I have not tried Old Toad’s suggestion as yet. I don’t think I understand it well enough to try it yet.

Thanks

Carl
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 24, 2004
Carl,

I’m very new at Mac OS X, but… Have you tried to run a search, using the Finder’s Find command, and the specify the size of the files as a criteria? Starting the search at the top of the iPhoto folder, it would ensure it only looks in iPhoto and lower folders. Then, I think (this is where I’m not sure), you’d be able to select all the small files, and delete them.

The way I understand this is that the thumbnails are rather small (25Kb and less). Therefore, your images should be larger than that, and you’d have a very thin chance of deleting any precious pictures.

One last step I’d do is to look at the Trash, and see if something had slipped through before emptying it.

Again, somehow "senior" at Mac OS X should look at what I said before proceeding, I may be wrong.

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Apr 24, 2004
That’s a bummer Carl. I was hoping that iPhoto was pulling those duplicate images from some other library/file, or that the problem might be a screwy preference file but it appears as if they were actually created/duplicated during the archive/install. I’ve never heard of this before and don’t have anything else to add. Sorry 🙁

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
Carl, I’m hesitant to chime in here because I don’t use iphoto much and I don’t know the software Old Toad is recommending. He’s a nice guy, so I would go back to the iphoto forum and ask him for step by step directions.
CS
carl_sutherland
Apr 24, 2004
Ray,

You always seem to have good ideas and this seems good also. However, the thumbnails turned out to not be too big a problem for manual deletion. They occurred in a string of a dozen to 50 or more. I could recognise them by their size in the iPhoto window and delete them as batches. That’s been done. Since the full size images are the same size I can not use size to tell original from duplicate. By arranging them by date at least seems to group them together helping me to delete them one by one and leave at least one original.

Joe and Barbara,

Thanks. I will go back to iPhoto and see if I understand well enough to ask a question that will allow me to proceed. Otherwise I’ll continue on an image by image basis.

Carl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections