Posted By
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe people:

Is there a legitimate upgrade pathway from Elements to Photoshop CS? I’m not a pro photographer or a commercial artist – just a hobbyist who longs for some of the bells in CS, like a healing brush, curves and the RAW convertor for my 10D photos.

Thanks.

Steve

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 11, 2003
Well, you can get curves for PE as a free download from a couple of different places.

As for the upgrade, if you are willing to buy a microtek scanner:

< http://www.adobe.com/store/products/special.jhtml?id=catMicr otek&sourcecode=112300>
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 11, 2003
Well, you can get curves for PE as a free download from a couple of different places.

As for the upgrade, if you are willing to buy a microtek scanner:

< http://www.adobe.com/store/products/special.jhtml?id=catMicr otek&sourcecode=112300>

I believe it will work without the scanner as long as you have an Elements serial number to enter, but you did ask about legitimate ways. 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 11, 2003
Oops, sorry for the double post.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 11, 2003
Barbara,

I had seen the Microtech thing, hence my query.

Thanks.

Steve
R
Ray
Nov 11, 2003
On the Photoshop Forum, someone said several months ago that he did get a Photoshop from Elements at
an upgrade price, but not the upgrade price currently offer. I’d call Adobe and ask. You could report your finding here.
DH
Derwin_Hales
Nov 11, 2003
I purchased an epson scanner that came with elements 2 and a coupon to upgrade to photoshop 7 for $299. Since I already had a copy of elements 2 and had read about the great features of CS, I called the adobe store to see if I could upgrade to the full version of CS for the same price. When they said yes, I couldn’t resist. It made sense to me that they would charge more than just the photoshop normal upgrade, because I was really getting the full version, not an upgrade.

I would be suprised if you called them and asked for the same type of deal, that they would turn you down, with or without a coupon. After all, once you are hooked on CS, you are more likely to continue to upgrade in the future.

Even though I really like CS, elements still has a place on my PC… Also, this forum is much more of a kinder place with folks who are truly helpful. I’ll frequent the other, but will likely continue to learn more here.
CM
Cory McNutt
Nov 11, 2003
I agree with you Derwin…I have been using PS CS for a couple weeks (and PS7 before that), but I still check here everyday for ideas and to see what everyone is up to. Ray, Barb, Jodi, (and many others) really make this board a nice place to exchange ideas and to learn. The CS board has a few great people on it too but for the most part they don’t seem to want to "bother" with us "little" people! I have also seen where Adobe will offer the upgrade from PE2 for $269-$279.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 11, 2003
Ray & others,

I called Adobe just now, mentioned that I had heard of a coupon upgrade price of $299. He verified my registered products (Elements 1 & 2) and put me on hold. When he returned he gave me an upgrade price of $499. !!! Not exactly what I had in mind. I told him I would pass on that price and hung up.

Steve

Maybe I need a Microtech scanner…

🙁
BB
brent_bertram
Nov 11, 2003
Steve,
Perhaps patience is the key here. A year ago I upgraded to Photoshop 7 for $299 from a registered Elements 1. I think the promotions seem to go in cycles. $499 is not much of a bargain <G> .

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 11, 2003
Might be a good idea to wait a while to buy CS. from what i’ve been reading on the PS forum …seems a wee buggy wuggy. … ‘wee’>>> ( I’m being nice )
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 11, 2003
Working great here, Jodi.

I did the microtek thing–but for other mac users: discovered they don’t have panther drivers yet. 8^(
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 11, 2003
Seems CS for windows is using a very similar system to authenticate as Microsoft adopted for there new operating system. This is a system I do not like so I will not likely be buying CS. Which is a pity as I have been holding off upgrading in anticipation of CS.

g.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 11, 2003
It looks like I’m waiting a LONG while to buy PS CS. I’m also waiting to buy Panther. I don’t need it (CS) $500 worth when I have my Elements!

Steve
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 11, 2003
Grant, that product activation thing is on the mac version, too. Ick.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
Do any of you guys have kids? You can get the entire CS package – Photoshop, GoLive, Illustrator, InDesign, and full Acrobat for $379.95 at the Academic Superstore. I’m thinking of adopting a child who needs to learn how to use this software. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 11, 2003
Beth, is that fair or what ???? I would have to wait 15 years to get that option…then again, the way tuition is going…hum, something will have to change before then.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
K – 12, Jodi! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 11, 2003
say what ??? esplain, no hablo espanol
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
So check your e-mail, Jodi.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 11, 2003
Beth you can take a course at a community college to quality or …. have a wife
that is a graphic artist in a research department in at the university down the road from me. … very evil grin as I call out to Doreen 😉
g.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
Yes, Grant, and don’t think I haven’t been checking that community college catalog! What burns me is that I worked for a school district for 15 years, and there were never any good perks like this until after I left. 🙁

And, Jodi, yes I did send you a message, and I got one from you saying you hadn’t gotten anything. I did a reply to that one, and I also resent the first one, so you should have two coming in from me, plus the first one. Total of 3. ???

Watch out everybody! I think Jodi is getting ready to go on the warpath again about her e-mail!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 11, 2003
Nope, no mail…grrrrrrrrrrrr
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
Beth, i just got all your mail. My server was sleeping on the job ! Thanks 🙂

I’m not happy…freezing rain/sleet today and i didn’t go to the grocery store because of it. I hate this !!!! Pete, I’m coming to florida…move over
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 12, 2003
Yup rain today and they closed the job down for the trades people. While I could have stayed I decided to play hooky and off I went and bought the fixing for Chilli now that is a way to beat he ball blues……

g.

Pete move way over as I am coming down as well.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 12, 2003
Ah … while the Chilli and the rain were the excuse I really wanted to get home to play with my new toy. My Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D arrived and it is a biggie. Now when I get the 17-35mm there will be no more excuses for not taking great photographs.

g.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 12, 2003
Jodi,

Did you say move over or roll over?
PD
Pete_D
Nov 12, 2003
Plenty of sunshine for you also Grant. This is the best 8-10 weeks of the year; Lower humidity, temperatures range from 65 at night to 85 in the daytime. Don’t forget sunscreen.

Pete
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
Pete, whatever works 😉
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 12, 2003
Barbara…you mentioned that you went the Microtek route. How did that work out for you? I have had many problems getting that pathway to work.

Steve
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 12, 2003
Well, I haven’t been able to use the scanner since there isn’t a panther driver for it yet. As far as ordering, I just entered my elements serial number on the order page and that was that.

Frankly, if I hadn’t been needing a new scanner anyway, I would just have bought the CS Suite for full price, since by the time I pay for Photoshop (which I need right now for work), the scanner and the upgrade to the full suite later, it will be about the same amount of money as if I had just bought the suite for the regular price.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 12, 2003
Ah, but you’ll have a scanner!

🙂

Steve
MH
Mark_Hiers
Nov 12, 2003
Grant, that product activation thing is on the mac version, too. Ick.

Nope. Windows only.
R
Ray
Nov 12, 2003
Hum… thanks for the info Steve. I guess Adobe wants Elementers to stick with Elements, after all 😉
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 12, 2003
Mark Hiers: Any hope for a better upgrade deal in the near term? Like the Microtek thing?

SS
M
MarkATS
Nov 12, 2003
Any hope for a better upgrade deal in the near term?

Well, there are still some $299 deals out there from various camera and scanner manufacturers, so it a matter of getting one of those products that have Elements 2 bundled with it and have the special offer code included.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 12, 2003
Well I tried Adobe today and as a result $499 sounds good … my quote is £492.33 I suppose that is about $739.

Seems an awful lot to me 🙁
PB
Penny_Bowhay
Nov 17, 2003
I tried the Adobe Store and they gave me the same $499 quote. So, I guess we’re stuck with that for now.

What can ya do…:-(
SB
Stephen_Balch
Nov 17, 2003
What version of PS Elements are you using to upgrade, PSE1.01 or PSE2? I already have PSE 1.01.

I am a full-time student at university studying Photography Technology and I can get PS CS at the educational discount price but I’m wondering if the upgrade (which is definitely less expensive than the full version, even at educational prices) would work for me or if I should just bite the bullet and get the full version.

Thanks,

Stephen
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 17, 2003
No, Stephen, the full Photoshop upgrade can’t be used with Elements. The "upgrade" price you’re seeing here is just to encourage people to move up to the more sophisticated software from Elements, so Adobe is offering a somewhat reduced price. If you want or need full Photoshop, you’ll have to get the full install. Have you checked out the Academic Superstore? It looked like their price for the full Photoshop CS package was awfully close to the regular educational price for just Photoshop.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections