JH
Posted By
John_H_Butler
Aug 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I notice that CS 2 on my computer is a very large size (219 MB) as compared to CS 3(38 MB). i am trying to clean up my computer and want to uninstall CS 2 but with those size differences it looks like CS 3 must use CS 2 a basis.

I have windows XP

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 27, 2008
I don’t know where you get those figures from. Can you explain?
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 27, 2008
Sure in my uninstall dialog under "set program access and defaults" _ " and then in the "Add or Remove" list. Over to the right it lists the size of each file. Is this right?
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
Is this right?

no.

yes you can uninstall cs2 if you want. make sure to say "no" when asked to remove shared files and folders.

note that if you’re a heavy image ready user, there’s no image ready in cs3. some of the functionality has been moved over but for the rest, adobe says buy Fireworks. also adobe gamma is gone so if you use that you’re out of luck and will have to get a replacement.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
I also think there’s some unresolved printer flakiness (after the update) so if you do a lot of printing, you might want to reconsider uninstalling cs2.
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks . Being conservative (not in politics) it looks like I will keep CS 2 for awhile. I guess this mentality of "you can never tell when you might need this" is the reason I have a garage and attic full of stuff.
One question though : How come there is such a difference in the file sizes of CS 2 and CS 3
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
How come there is such a difference in the file sizes of CS 2 and CS 3

i’m not sure what exactly that’s measuring, but it’s not total installed "package" size. look at the folders for yourself in windows explorer. they should be in something like c:\program files\adobe\photoshop\cs2 and \cs3.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 27, 2008
CS2 258MB, CS3 302 MB

But then there’s Bridge and all the other junk in at least 10 different places.
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah it’s more like CS3 570MB and CS2 330 MB. Those numbers make sense. I wonder where Microsoft gets their numbers from? Mox, nix it is nothing to loose sleep over. Thanks, You have been very helpful but have caused me to add to my clutter :<) Seriously i think i will wait to uninstall until I digest and evaluate this info further. You can never tell when you might need it.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
You can never tell when you might need it.

I live by those words! 🙂
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 27, 2008
Hey Josh where did you get your file sizes. I got mine by looking up the file size under properties for the CS2 and CS3 program files, which is what I think Dave meant.
I am running the windows version. Win XP

Yeah, were do Bridge and all the other application files fit in those file size. I’m just barely literate much less computer literate so I am not sure what is going on.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 28, 2008
Who’s Josh? Are you joshing me?

I looked at the application folders in "Program Files" but as I said, that is not all (there are a couple of gigs of Adobe stuff in "Application Data" for example).

John
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 28, 2008
Sorry John I don’t know where I got Josh from. Is there a movie star or musician named Josh Joslin or something that sounds like it? Janice Joplin , maybe. Naw- not even close.

Anyhow I wonder if you compared apples to apples when comparing CS 2 and CS 3 which has the largest file size. It seems like CS 3 should be the largest since it added more features. However improvements in writing the code can actually reduce the file size in certain cases. At least that is what I my son tells me.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 28, 2008
Naw- not even close.

yes, especially since it’s a well known "secret" that john joslin is actually… wait for it…

YOKO ONO!!! 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 28, 2008
Don’t tell everybody!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 28, 2008
nobody reads this site anyway. and it’s not propegated to the news feeds, nor dozens of other sites, nor google groups. so don’t sweat it. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 29, 2008
<gasp> cue ominous music. 😉
JH
John_H_Butler
Aug 29, 2008
Wait till I tell everybody that I have been talking to Yoko Ono :<) (how do you put in smileys)
C
Curvemeister
Aug 29, 2008
This group, and the rest of the adobe server ng’s are archived by google.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections