Posted By
Marc_Monaro
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!

I know this may sound weird but now that we are finally making an attempt to upgrade to the CS suite, previous versions of PS 7.0.1, Illustrator 10.0.3 and Indesign 2.0.2 are now crashing in places were they didn’t before. I guess what I would like to know is if CS is only for 10.3? Does the user need to be an Admin to use CS? Does CS install new components in places where previous versions also need to access? Is it recommended to uninstall the previous versions first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
mm

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
You do need to run "Repair Permissions" both before AND after installing new software under OSX.

If that doesn’t solve the problem, trash the Prefs. of the earlier versions.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
If you want to keep version 7 and install CS, you need to set 7 to open in Classic.

Remember to Repair Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) before and after installing any software that requires an installer.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
Actually Ramón, you don’t have to.

But if you want to run 7 in OSX at the same time as CS, you must launch 7 first.

[I have two copies of 7.0.1 on my machine: one set to open in Classic and the other in OSX; and a copy of CS as well.]
B
Buko
May 21, 2004
I’m running all the same software as you with no problems.

so it does work. I even run both versions at the same time.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Ann,

Well, I’ll install a second copy of Photoshop 7.0.1 and see if it launches in Panther. The one I have now does not, that’s why I set it to launch in Classic.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
The trick is to launch 7 before launching CS.
If it still doesn’t work, trash your Prefs.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
As expected, Ann and Buko are right again. All I had to do was uncheck the Open in Classic box and Photoshop 7.0.1 launched in Panther. Subsequently, Photoshop 8 launch without incident also.

Now I’m trying to figure out why I would want to do that in the first place, though. I can see running the older version in Classic if you have legacy plug-ins.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
<< I’m trying to figure out why I would want to do that in the first place >>

I can’t think WHY you would to — I was only saying that you CAN!

:~)
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Thanks, Ann. Now I’ll be able to sleep tonight. 🙂
B
Buko
May 21, 2004
I can’t think WHY you would to — I was only saying that you CAN!

agreed.

only reason for using 7 would be to open an image of money.

Having both versions of ID open thats a different story
MM
Marc_Monaro
May 21, 2004
Hey guys!
Thanks for all the replys! To run PS 7 in Classic isn’t really what we want to do especially when we are trying to phase Classic out completely. I know your probably wondering why use PS 7 when we have CS, but to get into that right now we would need a forum dedicated just to that! SO… What I would like to know is if any of you are running OS X 10.3 and Adobe CS under a non-admin account and if you’ve experienced any problems with that. What about this permissions thing? Do I really have to repair permissions everytime I install something? I’ve never heard of that but I can definitely try it! I’ll also try deleting the prefs files for anything prior to CS just to see what happens. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again!
mm
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
<< Do I really have to repair permissions everytime I install something? >>

YES — but it only takes a couple of minutes.

Your best bet would be to buy Cocktail and run it regularly — it does a number of regular maintenance jobs for you in one quick pass.

My machines all have admin. accounts so I don’t know the answer to that.
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Do I really have to repair permissions everytime I install something? I’ve never heard of that…

Yes, you do, if the software in question uses an installer (as opposed to just copying a folder from a disk image). You’ll find that advice in books and in sundry Mac support forums.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections