SW
Posted By
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am guessing that there is an easy way to convert a tonal image to spot colors. I’ve heard about people/pros doing stuff like this with Channels. Is this possible?

Here is my logo: <http://dininfo.com/logo.htm> that needs to be converted to spot color. I need to print this on an orange shirt. So the only colors that need to print are the white & black.

Again, is this possible?
REALLY appreciate ANY suggestions!

Respectfully,
sw

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Scott: This is easy.

Edited… Had a brain pooter. I’m working on it and will help you shortly.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Here’s < http://graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/ChannelHelp/channels.html> a link to a quick tutorial I did for another user a while back. It will work for yours too.
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
Thanks for the tutorial LRK, but it doesn’t indicate that you can save the white highlight to its own spot color.

sw
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Select the white highlight, paste it into the orange channel and delete it from your orange and black channels. As I see it, you only need two channels, orange and black. When you paste into one you delete from the other. You need to so this in the order that the image is built. At the end you will just select the white areas by clicking on the later to be copied, and do Option-Return. While you have this selection, paste it into the orange channel and delete it from the black channel.

Note: Corrections have been made to above instructions. Sorry Scott… I’ve got too many things going at one time and not thinking this through. 🙂
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
Maybe I’m not on the same page with you…
I need to print this on orange t-shirts. I don’t want to print the orange on orange, so I was hoping I could print the shadow and the highlight that make up the shape (3D look) of the icon.

Possible???
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Oh, okay. You will just be printing the white and black? I think that can work. i’ll work on something and send it to you. It’s easier than explaining. 🙂
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Edited:

Okay… You are using white and black on an orange tee shirt. I’ve got it.

I’ll post what I have and you tell me what you think.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Is this what you want on the orange tee shirt?
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
WHY YES!!! That’s PERFECT!!!
On my screen this looks a little blurry. Is that just my screen?

gratefully,
sw
L
LRK
May 18, 2004

[edited]
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
I’ll help you with it… just a minute.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
My boo boo. I forgot to delete the edges after selecting the original image.

Select your image outline and invert the seletion. Then delete this from both channels. I’ll post a new image shortly.
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
I’m waiting patiently. I’ve read over the tutorial, tried to do it myself, and it STILL doesn’t make sense.

=(
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
I am rusty at this. It’s been a while… How’s this?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 18, 2004
Take the RGB file and do a mode change to multichannel. Throw out the green and blue channel.

Convert to grayscale.

You need to do a LOT of clean up due to the jpg artifacts is this is actually your production file.
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
LRK – THAT’s IT!!!
What do I owe ya?

sw
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Nothing… but you will need to be able to do this. You will need the channels saved as a DCS2 file. Are you going ot try or shall I send you my file?

Also, I used Cool Gray 1 as it’s the closest pantone color to white. Your printer can change the channels.
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
I’d rather use your file. Seeing the file and reading over the tutorial should help me better understand what is going on.

And you’re right, I need to learn this!

Thanks TONS for your help!
sw
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
You’re welcome. Send me an email please and I’ll send you the file.

I’ll delete this in a few minutes.

T
Todie
May 18, 2004
Scott, You should print a negative of your Blue channel (for the White ink) and a positive of the Red (for Black).
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
I am not an expert on printing to fabric… so it would be wise to listen to Todie for the rest…

Also not sure about size but if you are printing it the size it is, the resolution is low. If you will be shrinking it at least 50% it should be okay for a tee shirt.
SW
Scott Warren
May 18, 2004
linda – your email address didn’t work.
here’s mine:
P
Phosphor
May 18, 2004
The Above-And-Beyond-The-Call-Of-Duty Award for the week goes to Linda.

Good job, grrrrl!
G
graffiti
May 18, 2004
That’s one of the great things about Linda. She’s always willing to go out of her way to help.
P
Phosphor
May 18, 2004
Hey Linda!

Pull my, errrmm… an all nighter!

😉
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Thanks! 🙂 I’ve received a lot of help lately with photography so I’m just giving back a little.

I just sent a stuffit file containing the PS work file with all layers and channels, a PS file with just the two channels, and a folder containing printer DCS2 file. I also sent the following note. If anyone has anything to add please do… It’s time for me to fix dinner. 🙂

Scott,

Please make sure your printer tests this DCS2 file first and you see the first shirt from the test run to approve it.

Printer can change the spot channel colors if needed.

Resolution is low but file size is big enough to compensate.

Just for a disclaimer, I absolve myself from any responsibility if you use file as it is. Make sure it is right when you take it to the printer. If there is a problem you have the original #1 file to work from.

Thanks,

Linda
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 18, 2004
Oh, I just love this industry.

I absolve any responsibility and let the next guy eat it…..

The software manufactures do it.

The photographers do it.

The designers do it.

and guess who eats it?
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Scott: Let me know if you didn’t get my email.
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
Oh… and be sure to send this file to Mike. He loves this stuff. <g>
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 18, 2004
lol!

mbad..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections