AC
Posted By
ayerst carr
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I admit it…I am such a dweeb. I am so new to Photoshop that I might just as well have bought a book on Quantum Physics and The Theory of Everything with the notion of memorizing it by sunset.

Whew.

Now, to my credit, I have figured out what a PSD file is and how they are more or less programed. I understand what they do, why they are so useful and so forth and so on. And I learnt dis all by meself, ah did!

However, I admit to have reached critical mass in terms of my ability to "wing it". At my blog, <http://bluestravels.com>, I have a logo/banner image. In point of fact, there are two, side by side, not just one. The one that has the title of my site was customized for the site. That image was called tavelogue.psd and I exported the header banner portion of the psd file after I customized it.

The left hand Polaroid is giving me fits, however. I was able to customize the caption easily enough, but the actual square picture of the stoplight has definately got me scratching my head.

A) While I can make it disappear by "closing the eye" I don’t know how to replace it

B) I am also trying to figure out how to rotate an image and fit it over top of, or replace altogether, the current image.

I realize this is a lot to ask, but can anyone take a look at the PSD file by letting me email it to you? Or can you tell me what to look for or what to do?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 22, 2006
Open another image (File>Open)
Use the Move tool (First tool on the right hand side of the toolbox 4 arrows connected together) to drag the just opened image into the image of the polaroid.

Use the rectangular marquee to select the area you want to see in the polaroid frame and invert it (Control+Shift+I or Command+Shift+I on a mac)then delete the unwanted portions of of the pix.

To rotate Use Edit>Free transform…to rotate watch the cursor, once you move the cursor outside of the transform box over a corner point you will see it transform to a double headed curved arrow…now you can rotate.
BK
Bryan_Kearney
Nov 22, 2006
to rotate an image select the move tool, select the layer, hold down command(apple) + "T" then either rotate by grabbing a corner or enter an angle in the move tool options at the very top of the program.
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 23, 2006
Guys, I wanna say thank you! You really helped me here. Fortunatley, I had enough sweat equity into PS that I was able to manage with your great tips. Thank you.

Now if I can just get a copy of this software donated to me, I will be set. I cannot afford it. I cannot see how I have done without it all this time. What a powerful program!

Thanks again.
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 23, 2006
I have one other question if you do not mind 🙂

I am using the travelogue.psd file as a template from which to make all my other photos, similar to the one at bluestravels.com (the one with the blue R32, which is called polaroid.jpg)

I created a new jog image from it and tried to name it villageinn.jpg and everytime I clicked the "save" button, a warning window pops up warningme that I am about to replace "Polaroid" because a file named polaroid already exists. Why is this? I am naming the new jpg image after first saving, then saving to web, then choosing the right slice to save, I then select IMAGE, CUSTOM, and SELECTED SLICES; then I name the file villageinn.jjpg and it still tries to overwrite polaroid.jpg and I don’t want to do that.
B
Buko
Nov 23, 2006
Now if I can just get a copy of this software donated to me, I will be set. I cannot afford it.

then how are you using it?
R
Ram
Nov 23, 2006
Trial version?
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah. I downloaded the trial version. It is very good.

I figured out how to save the file properly by the way 🙂 So thank you again.
H
halinsalem
Nov 23, 2006
If you can’t afford the full Photoshop software, you may be able to afford Photo Elements. Photo elements is less than $100 at most stores ($79 at Costco if I remember correctly) and it has many of Photoshop’s features; which means there is a learning curve involved there too. Then, later on you can graduate to the full Photoshop version, which IMHO is the most fantastic software ever put on the market for the general public, but you are right, there is a terrific learning curve involved in Photoshop 8 or 9, but, in the long run, it is worth every minute of time you put into mastering it (you will never master it, but some of these forum members do amazing things with it)
B
Buko
Nov 23, 2006
I believe you can get Photoshop elements bundled with certain cameras and/or scanners.
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 23, 2006
There is no question in my mind but that this is some of the most powerful software on the market. I have only had it for less than a week and I love it. I am on disability at the moment, so even the Power Elements is a long shot, but I am gonna get as much done as I can possibly do in the 4 weeks I have left. 😀

Say, as long as we are here, can I pick your brains once more?

<http://totalphysiqueonline.com> is one of my other sites (cfcure.com is my third). I wanna continue to customize the look and feel of my fitness blog and I have a desire to borrow from the Sistine Chapel.

I want to snag the images of Adam and God off the fresco and them manipulate them. Grabbing the images is teh part I am fiddling with at this point. I decided to try using "magic wand" on a lark, and it seems to sort of do what I want, which is capture edges associated with hues. However, when I copy and then paste the parts that have been selected with the wand, parts of Adam and God get left behind, as if there are wholes in their bodies where flesh should be.

Am I using the right tool? Tolerence is set at 32 I believe.

Is there a procedure or tool better designed for what I want to do in PS?

Thanks
Tim
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 23, 2006
Well, I have a Canon A80- I checked the software and no Photshop Elements ….But, that was a great suggestion.
JF
john_findley
Nov 24, 2006
You need to use the Lasso tool, or check out Masking in the Help menu, to capture Adam & God. Hold down the Shift key to add Lasso’ed selections together.

Delve deeply into the Help section.
AC
ayerst carr
Nov 24, 2006
John thanks.

Trouble is, the help feature is broken. When I launch it on my Apple (PBG4) it crashes. So, the help is not gonna be of much help I am afraid. Anyway, I was able to use the magic wand. It worked. Have a look.

<http://totalphysiqueonline.com/>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections