Simple question (blurred edges destroys ‘transparent’ icon)

PD
Posted By
Pierre_DuTronc
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I want to create a few nicer icons for my PDA. I have a program to put htem into PDA format but must create the icon-picture itself elsewhere, thus in Photoshop 5.5.

The idea is to grab a plain company logo off the internet and then simply add a nice bevel to it in Photoshop and have a transparent background.

But when I do this I always get minimal white edges around the icon which destoy the transparent background effects. Works fine on light background but on darker ones there is almost a halo glow around the icon.

I guess this is an antialiasing issue.

Can I do anything about this?

Is it possible to make the outside of the icon to be sharp while the inside of the icon has bevels and layer effects etc.?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
May 10, 2004
Pierre,

What format are you saving in for your PDA-format application?

With a transparent b/g your bevel will be anti-aliasing to a default white, thus the fringing. You need a suitably coloured matte for the bevel to anti-alias to.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections