E
Posted By
exingo
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After using the channel mixer and clicking on the monochrome check box to change the image to gray, I adjust the selection to adjust the tonal range. But after closing the channel mixer, the selected part of the image remains gray. Why doesn’t it change back to the color that it was?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Nov 9, 2003
If you select the Monochrome check box, you are telling Photoshop that you want to create a custom grayscale channel that combines information from the Red, Green, and Blue channels.

When you get done with Channel Mixer, if you select the Monochrome check box, is supposed to be grayscale. 😉

If you use Image|Mode|Grayscale, you will also get a monochrome image, but you do not have any control over how information is combined. Instead, the grayscale image is based just on luminosity.

You usually get a superior result with the Channel Mixer.

I like to take the result from the Channel Mixer and then create a duotone or tritone in order to bring out more details in the shadows and quarter tones.

Cheers,

Mitch
E
exingo
Nov 9, 2003
I thought the Monochrome check box just temporarily changed the selected part of the image to grayscale. So you mean that it does it permanaetely?
BG
barry_gray
Nov 9, 2003
yes
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 10, 2003
No

You can set it up as an adjustment layer and keep your color base unaffacted
GM
Glenn_Mitchell
Nov 10, 2003
You can set it up as an adjustment layer and keep your color base unaffacted

Yes. In fact, this is a popluar technique for making most of an image grayscale and part of it in color.

Cheers,

Mitch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections