Posted By
Auror
Nov 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1. Does it contain vector data?

I always thought it’s a raster-only format. But if you can save your Photoshop project as a TIFF instead of a PSD – preserving all of your layers, effects AND! shapes – that means it does right?

if it does contain vector data, then

2. Does a flattened project saved as Tiff, still does?

I’m asking all of this, becouse I have A4 300dpi project for a newspaper and I was asked to send it either as a EPS or TIFF. I was also asked to convert all the texts to vector (shapes). So the project contains both – raster and vector data. If I save it as a EPS file, Photoshop cannot reopen it again (don’t know why – I’ve even posted this here: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6b22d/2> ).

The only option left is to save the project as TIFF. But if I save it as TIFF do I loose the vector data of the texts (are they rastarized upon saving?) in the project?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CY
curt_young
Nov 13, 2008
TIFF will save layers, but if you are worried save it as a TIFF and PSD and compare to see if you see any difference.
A
Auror
Nov 13, 2008
I don’t see any difference in the project itself when I open it in Photoshop. But that’s not really what I asked about.

My question is this:

If .TIFF format is raster-only, then how is it possible that when you save a photoshop project in this format, you don’t loose your shape layers (vector!)??

I was asked by the printing house to vectorize all the text layers and then save my project as a EPS or a TIFF file. And then send it to them.

I can understand vectorizing text and saving the file as EPS. AFAIK EPS will preserve both vector and raster data of my project. But what difference does it make if I turn my text layers to shapes if I then save it as a flattened TIFF. The the file becomes just a regular raster-only file.

The thing is I can save my project as a ‘Photoshop EPS’ but afterwards I cannot reopen that file in Photoshop. I get this message:

So I’m left with TIFF. But as far as I’ve done my google research on TIFF – I won’t save my vector data for text layers with a TIFF file.
So basicly the quality of the small (7pt) texts on my project will depend only on the high resolution of my image instead of vectors. And that is pretty scarry, to leave it only to pixels.
A
Auror
Nov 13, 2008
whoops, I forgot to paste the message I get when trying to open my ‘Photoshop EPS’:

"Could not complete your request becouse the parser module cannot parse the file."

Illustrator won’t open that file either.

🙁
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 13, 2008
Send a PDF. Most newspaper people still call those EPS.
J
Jim
Nov 13, 2008
wrote in message
1. Does it contain vector data?

I always thought it’s a raster-only format. But if you can save your Photoshop project as a TIFF instead of a PSD – preserving all of your layers, effects AND! shapes – that means it does right?

if it does contain vector data, then

2. Does a flattened project saved as Tiff, still does?

I’m asking all of this, becouse I have A4 300dpi project for a newspaper and I was asked to send it either as a EPS or TIFF. I was also asked to convert all the texts to vector (shapes). So the project contains both – raster and vector data. If I save it as a EPS file, Photoshop cannot reopen it again (don’t know why – I’ve even posted this here: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6b22d/2> ).

The only option left is to save the project as TIFF. But if I save it as TIFF do I loose the vector data of the texts (are they rastarized upon saving?) in the project?
If you really want to know, you can find the TIFF specifications on the internet.
It seems that the answer to 1 is Yes. Cutting paths are vectors. Everything else is rasters.
I didn’t read enough of the specification to find an answer to 2. Jim
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 13, 2008
A lot them still call it camera-ready art. <g>

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2008
Auror – because Photoshop stores the layer data (including shapes) separately. The same goes for PDF.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections