JH
Posted By
John Harry
May 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Been trying to use CS4 in video mode to edit/ apply effects to some 1080p clips recently recorded with my camcorder. While CS4 seems to handle 720p clips fairly easily, it keeps crashing with 1080p clips. Same thing keep happening in After Effects. Sometimes it says "out of memory" and other times the program just quits. I am on a dual core 2.6 Ghz system with 4 GB memory. My guess is that my system is not optimal for working with the larger 1080p clips. Any way to make it more optimal or adjusting settings in the programs? I’ve already tried memory adjustments with the programs, but it hasn’t stopped the crashing.

Thanks,
John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
keepout
May 31, 2009
On Sun, 31 May 2009 08:54:11 -0400, "John Harry" wrote:

Been trying to use CS4 in video mode to edit/ apply effects to some 1080p clips recently recorded with my camcorder. While CS4 seems to handle 720p clips fairly easily, it keeps crashing with 1080p clips. Same thing keep happening in After Effects. Sometimes it says "out of memory" and other times the program just quits. I am on a dual core 2.6 Ghz system with 4 GB memory. My guess is that my system is not optimal for working with the larger 1080p clips. Any way to make it more optimal or adjusting settings in the programs? I’ve already tried memory adjustments with the programs, but it hasn’t stopped the crashing.

Thanks,
John
you can put 4 gigs on a 32 bit system, but you’ll only be able to use a bit over 2 gigs.
get a little more specific on your setup. Mac – PC etc..

From the little you gave, I’d say ask adobe, after making sure you have all the most recent drivers.
JH
John Harry
May 31, 2009
wrote in message

"you can put 4 gigs on a 32 bit system, but you’ll only be able to use a bit over 2 gigs.
get a little more specific on your setup. Mac – PC etc.."

I’ve noticed this. I guess that’s one of the limitations of a Win XP Home SP3 system. Yes, this is a pc desktop.

"From the little you gave, I’d say ask adobe, after making sure you have all the
most recent drivers."

It isn’t just Adobe that crashes. I also have Sony Vegas which also won’t handle the large 1080 clips.

One thought about maybe getting around the problem is to break up the video into much smaller parts and perhaps edit those separately, then combine them later. This may be a lot of work, and I may have to, but it might avoid upgrading the pc. Still, if there’s any other way, I’m open to suggestions.

John
K
keepout
May 31, 2009
On Sun, 31 May 2009 14:00:07 -0400, "John Harry" wrote:

wrote in message

"you can put 4 gigs on a 32 bit system, but you’ll only be able to use a bit over 2 gigs.
get a little more specific on your setup. Mac – PC etc.."
I’ve noticed this. I guess that’s one of the limitations of a Win XP Home SP3 system. Yes, this is a pc desktop.

"From the little you gave, I’d say ask adobe, after making sure you have all the
most recent drivers."

It isn’t just Adobe that crashes. I also have Sony Vegas which also won’t handle the large 1080 clips.

One thought about maybe getting around the problem is to break up the video into much smaller parts and perhaps edit those separately, then combine them later. This may be a lot of work, and I may have to, but it might avoid upgrading the pc. Still, if there’s any other way, I’m open to suggestions.
John
You’re still missing my point to get more specific. But I now have a bit more information to work with and the drivers is still #1 on my suggestion list, as for the ‘Adobe’ suggestion, you asked in an Adobe forum.

drive space How much.
How much memory and drive space are you allowing PS to use ? PS recommends a swap file on a different drive than the app. If PS tries to write to the drive, it may very well crash if it attempts to use more drive space than is available.
I think there’s an OS setting to alert if the drive space falls below a certain size. It’d be somewhere in the drive settings.

Big files will most definitely make your swap file[s] bigger. And the bigger the file, the bigger [and slower] your swap file’s going to get. with only 2.x gigs available total, if the file you’re using is bigger than 1 gig [my half hour .TRP, ts, TP] files normally exceed 1 gig. If I want to edit them I use Nero. But even Nero fails as it is with my capture of ‘Drive me Crazy’ it wants to take over 4 hours to write the edited version to the drive.

Myself, I just updated Vista to SP2, and updated my video drivers. And I’m hoping that will trim some time off the 4 hour job.
Maybe PS can do the job, but I’ve never tried the video editing. Guess I could see if it can edit this 11 gigs TRP with it… I have 2 terabytes of drive space, so a big swap file is possible. And I learned that everything over 2 gigs is just flash on a 32 bit machine. So I stopped at 2 gigs.

I also use Nero 6. All versions after that were just bloat.
K
keepout
May 31, 2009
On Sun, 31 May 2009 15:57:17 -0400, wrote:

Myself, I just updated Vista to SP2, and updated my video drivers. And I’m hoping that will trim some time off the 4 hour job.
Maybe PS can do the job, but I’ve never tried the video editing. Guess I could see if it can edit this 11 gigs TRP with it… I have 2 terabytes of drive space, so a big swap file is possible. And I learned that everything over 2 gigs is just flash on a 32 bit machine. So I stopped at 2 gigs.

I also use Nero 6. All versions after that were just bloat.

well here’s what I’ve found. PS isn’t really designed for video. It can do MOV, and GIF. That’s not really video. more like animation. Yeah, yeah MOV is video. But the number of editors available for MOV are rare.

I’d say if video mpg, avi, mov, trp, ts, etc.. is your goal. You should look at software dedicated to video editing. PS isn’t..

There’s a FREE program ‘virtualdub’ & virtualdubmod’ you should get them both. But dubmod is the newer version, and does a bit more than the original. There’s NO SUPPORT. There are several web sites, but they haven’t been touched in years. I don’t always use them. But when all else fails, these are the walgreens of apps. No help file. it’s hunt & peck trial & error unless you understand the terms used in the menus.

As for all my updates, that 11 gig file is still going to take 4 hours to compile into an avi without commercials.

Vista HP SP2, 2 gigs ram, dual core 2.8 ghz. 2 tera bytes drive space.

It actually rocks. You might also add XCPU.COM if you intend to do video and multitask.
You can google for all the files I mentioned above. XCPU allows you to free up one of the CPU’s so you aren’t dragged down to waiting for one task to finish. Separate CPU’s is almost mandatory for multitasking and video editing.

ie: Want to turn your machine back into a C= 64 at 16 mhz ? Get ahold of Seti, and don’t assign it to any specific CPU.
You’ll need task manager to break out of seti if you do. It’ll grab 100% of both CPU’s.. And it’ll probably take 5 minutes for task manager to appear, another 5 minutes to locate seti and disable it, and another 5 minutes until alls back to 2.8 ghz..
JH
John Harry
Jun 1, 2009
wrote in message

"well here’s what I’ve found. PS isn’t really designed for video. It can do MOV,
and GIF. That’s not really video. more like animation. Yeah, yeah MOV is video.
But the number of editors available for MOV are rare."

Ever since I read and tried the smart filter conversion approach, I’ve been hooked, although I must say that After Effects does most of the tasks a lot more quickly.

"I’d say if video mpg, avi, mov, trp, ts, etc.. is your goal. You should look at
software dedicated to video editing. PS isn’t.."

Yeah, you’re right. I did a little more reading up on these 1080p files today. One site suggested capturing at 30 fps instead of the 60 maximum my camcorder will do, so I decided to try it. The results when working with PS and After Effects were promising. There may have been one crash, but it was easier to get the programs to process the video to completion. I may stick with 30 fps if this trend continues.

"There’s a FREE program ‘virtualdub’ & virtualdubmod’ you should get them both.
But dubmod is the newer version, and does a bit more than the original. There’s NO SUPPORT. There are several web sites, but they haven’t been touched
in years. I don’t always use them. But when all else fails, these are the walgreens of apps. No help file. it’s hunt & peck trial & error unless you understand the terms used in the menus."

Yes, I have both Virtualdub and mod as well. I found they had great difficulty working with these large video clips, but that was on the older P4 I used to have. I haven’t tried it on this dual core system. After your reminder, I might be tempted to try.

"As for all my updates, that 11 gig file is still going to take 4 hours to compile into an avi without commercials."

I haven’t even thought about trying to approach a video of that size yet. Not until I get the bugs worked out with these smaller <1 GB files first.

"Vista HP SP2, 2 gigs ram, dual core 2.8 ghz. 2 tera bytes drive space. It actually rocks. You might also add XCPU.COM if you intend to do video and multitask.
You can google for all the files I mentioned above. XCPU allows you to free up
one of the CPU’s so you aren’t dragged down to waiting for one task to finish."

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

"Separate CPU’s is almost mandatory for multitasking and video editing."

Couldn’t agree more. I have three separate units here each for different tasks.

John
DJ
david johnson
Jun 1, 2009
isnt that what premiere is for?

On Sun, 31 May 2009 21:44:02 -0400, "John Harry" wrote:

wrote in message

"well here’s what I’ve found. PS isn’t really designed for video. It can do MOV,
and GIF. That’s not really video. more like animation. Yeah, yeah MOV is video.
But the number of editors available for MOV are rare."
Ever since I read and tried the smart filter conversion approach, I’ve been hooked, although I must say that After Effects does most of the tasks a lot more quickly.

"I’d say if video mpg, avi, mov, trp, ts, etc.. is your goal. You should look at
software dedicated to video editing. PS isn’t.."

Yeah, you’re right. I did a little more reading up on these 1080p files today. One site suggested capturing at 30 fps instead of the 60 maximum my camcorder will do, so I decided to try it. The results when working with PS and After Effects were promising. There may have been one crash, but it was easier to get the programs to process the video to completion. I may stick with 30 fps if this trend continues.

"There’s a FREE program ‘virtualdub’ & virtualdubmod’ you should get them both.
But dubmod is the newer version, and does a bit more than the original. There’s NO SUPPORT. There are several web sites, but they haven’t been touched
in years. I don’t always use them. But when all else fails, these are the walgreens of apps. No help file. it’s hunt & peck trial & error unless you understand the terms used in the menus."

Yes, I have both Virtualdub and mod as well. I found they had great difficulty working with these large video clips, but that was on the older P4 I used to have. I haven’t tried it on this dual core system. After your reminder, I might be tempted to try.

"As for all my updates, that 11 gig file is still going to take 4 hours to compile into an avi without commercials."

I haven’t even thought about trying to approach a video of that size yet. Not until I get the bugs worked out with these smaller <1 GB files first.
"Vista HP SP2, 2 gigs ram, dual core 2.8 ghz. 2 tera bytes drive space. It actually rocks. You might also add XCPU.COM if you intend to do video and multitask.
You can google for all the files I mentioned above. XCPU allows you to free up
one of the CPU’s so you aren’t dragged down to waiting for one task to finish."

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

"Separate CPU’s is almost mandatory for multitasking and video editing."
Couldn’t agree more. I have three separate units here each for different tasks.

John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections