GW
Posted By
Graham Waiffers
Jun 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am making a colour print ad that has a grey scale photo as the full background, there are a couple of simple text lines, and an .ai logo to insert. The image is of the front facade of a house, all b/w with the door and a planter on the steps in colour. (Photoshop .psd file)

There are two text boxes with simple headings. And the company logo, a full colour .ai.

I want to manipulate the size of the photo to get exactly the bg elements I want in the ad. InDesign is great for that, but I also need to adjust the colour of the .ai file, and that’s a mystery.

It’s easy in Illustrator, but I can’t do anything with the photo, nor can I see what the final ad will look like by seeing a preview of just the artboard area, without bleeds.

Photoshop may be the best for photos. That’s where I created the greyscale image with a few colour highlights, but manipulating the other elements, text and vector is awkward.

What’s the easiest approach? Thanks for any help you may offer. —
Graham Waiffers

The poster formerly known as Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux or Jack Skwaht.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YourBin
Jun 4, 2008
Graham Waiffers schreef:
I am making a colour print ad that has a grey scale photo as the full background, there are a couple of simple text lines, and an .ai logo to insert. The image is of the front facade of a house, all b/w with the door and a planter on the steps in colour. (Photoshop .psd file)
There are two text boxes with simple headings. And the company logo, a full colour .ai.

I want to manipulate the size of the photo to get exactly the bg elements I want in the ad. InDesign is great for that, but I also need to adjust the colour of the .ai file, and that’s a mystery.
It’s easy in Illustrator, but I can’t do anything with the photo, nor can I see what the final ad will look like by seeing a preview of just the artboard area, without bleeds.

Photoshop may be the best for photos. That’s where I created the greyscale image with a few colour highlights, but manipulating the other elements, text and vector is awkward.

What’s the easiest approach? Thanks for any help you may offer.

Greyscale/colour highlights/text/illustrator logo……

Combine my friend, like you said yourself.

1. Make what you want with that photo in Photoshop

2. Make what you want with the logo and, when necessary, extra’s in Illustrator

3. Import all in Indesign, add text and make a (good) PDF for the newspaper or magazine.

But of course I did not understand you?
GW
Graham Waiffers
Jun 4, 2008
YourBin wrote:
Graham Waiffers schreef:

3. Import all in Indesign, add text and make a (good) PDF for the newspaper or magazine.

The mystery (for me) is getting an editable .ai or .eps into my InDesign document. I have done this in the past with another document, but can’t figure out what I did to make that happen. I think I’ve got my prefs correct, but when I try to paste the Illustrator file into the .indd, I get a dialogue that says the command will create a large number of page items and will be placed as an embedded EPS instead. Then, the direct/white arrow tool won’t select the paths and I can’t edit the graphic.

Graham Waiffers

Y
YourBin
Jun 4, 2008
Graham Waiffers schreef:
YourBin wrote:
Graham Waiffers schreef:

The mystery (for me) is getting an editable .ai or .eps into my InDesign document. I have done this in the past with another document, but can’t figure out what I did to make that happen. I think I’ve got my prefs correct, but when I try to paste the Illustrator file into the .indd, I get a dialogue that says the command will create a large number of page items and will be placed as an embedded EPS instead. Then, the direct/white arrow tool won’t select the paths and I can’t edit the graphic.

Try using the Place command in InDesign?
For Apple: Apple-D, Cmnd-D look for your graphic and hit OK.

Also it might help to check the PDF editable box in Illustrator while saving.
GW
Graham Waiffers
Jun 4, 2008

I’ve tried both Place and Copy/Paste with both .ai and .pdf formats, with editible options checked. Still get the dialogue about "…multiple page items degrading performance. Placing as embedded EPS."

Seems there’s something wrong with the Illustrator file. I’ve tried a few others and seem to have identified the problem…or at least where it’s coming from.

Thanks for the effort.

Graham Waiffers

Y
YourBin
Jun 5, 2008
Graham Waiffers schreef:

I’ve tried both Place and Copy/Paste with both .ai and .pdf formats, with editible options checked. Still get the dialogue about "…multiple page items degrading performance. Placing as embedded EPS."
Seems there’s something wrong with the Illustrator file. I’ve tried a few others and seem to have identified the problem…or at least where it’s coming from.

Thanks for the effort.

And what was the solution dear usenet poster?
JB
just bob
Jun 5, 2008
"YourBin" wrote in message
Graham Waiffers schreef:

Thanks for the effort.

I thought he said he determined the problem was a funky file because others worked OK(?)
GW
Graham Waiffers
Jun 6, 2008
just bob wrote:
Graham Waiffers schreef:

Thanks for the effort.

I thought he said he determined the problem was a funky file because others worked OK(?)

Actually, I remain mystified why some placed .ai files will allow Indesign white arrow tool to edit and others turn it into the hand-move tool. Seems copy/pasting produces similar edit-no edit results for reasons which I cannot clearly identify.

However, I did fix the immediate issue, dealing with the logo in the ad copy I’m working on. I can edit the .ai file, but don’t know why one file works and another doesn’t.

Graham Waiffers

Y
YourBin
Jun 6, 2008
Graham Waiffers schreef:
just bob wrote:
Graham Waiffers schreef:

Thanks for the effort.

Actually, I remain mystified why some placed .ai files will allow Indesign white arrow tool to edit and others turn it into the hand-move tool. Seems copy/pasting produces similar edit-no edit results for reasons which I cannot clearly identify.

However, I did fix the immediate issue, dealing with the logo in the ad copy I’m working on. I can edit the .ai file, but don’t know why one file works and another doesn’t.

OK I get you. Let me invite you to send me a non-working AI file and a working AI file.

Best address: pn(dot)huisman(at)tiscali.nl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections