Posted By
Chris_Harker
Apr 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I think I seriously messed up somewhere along the line.

I was using the Beta program and, when CS3 full became available, I uninstalled it. Only after I’d uninstalled it and tried installing the full version did I realise I hadn’t deactivated the beta.

So I uninstalled the parts of the full version which were successfully installed (Bridge, Toolkit, Device Central and StockPhotos) and followed the instructions to manually remove CS3 (I also scoured the registry to remove any references to any installed Adobe products, searched my PC for any references to Adobe and ran a few registry scrubbing programs) – I tried to install CS3 full again with the intention of deactivating it then uninstalling it but no success – I received the same errors as before.

I also just ran the new Windows CS3Clean script at Level 2 and it has not resolved the problem.

I’ve even manually searched for "cache.db" files as someone in the Labs forum suggested that could be the file which holds the "activate" info for the beta.

I installed what I could of CS3 beta (Bridge, Toolkit, StockPhotos and Device Central) and tried to see if they had the option to "Deactivate" but I couldn’t find them – is the "Deactivate" option only available from Photoshop?

I’m now stuck with the issue of being unable to install the CS3 full version due to CS3 Beta previous installation and cannot reinstalled CS3 Beta to deactivate because it also detects the CS3 full version installation attempt.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

G
GlenMurphy
Apr 19, 2007
I’m in the same position; none of the KB or forum articles have helped – I’ve run through them multiple times with the same result, though I’m not going to wipe windows, since these are corporate machines, and if CS3 isn’t going to work, I need CS2. This applies to both the Vista and XP machines I’m using.
MM
Marcos_Muszynski
Apr 19, 2007
the same for me.. tried clean regs (with cs3clean for win), del folders, and nothing happens. Anyone can help us?
MM
Marcos_Muszynski
Apr 19, 2007
on admin tools, in control panel.. we can see some events in windows in my pc, this error appears: Adobe Version Cue CS3 (23 times)
SB
Scot_Baggett
Apr 19, 2007
I have the same issues. Have combed all the forum entries and run cs3clean for windows and tried the manual uninstall. This is unacceptable.
CH
Chris_Harker
Apr 19, 2007
I have fixed my problem

It seems the install of CS3 beta AND CS3 full will fail if you block the Bonjour Service from connecting to the internet.

I blocked it because it looked highly suspicious and then, out of desperation, I tried installing CS3 full with my firewall/AV switched off and voila!

It worked.
G
GlenMurphy
Apr 19, 2007
Balls. I’m in a corporate environment where my Windows firewall is controlled by a group policy. However I am allowed exceptions and it was already configured to allow Bonjour through. No luck.
RB
Rod_Barker
Apr 19, 2007
Im in the same boat and cannot install CS3 , seems lots of people are in this position all over the web , even on roll backs before any CS3 was installed still gets a failed install , not very well thought out by Adobe I feel !

Rod
A
abcuser
Apr 19, 2007
Disabling my firewall did not fix the problem for me. I just bit the bullet and reinstalled WinXP to another drive. This installer is really sucky!
SB
Scot_Baggett
Apr 19, 2007
I’m absolutely not going to reinstall my OS for this. I’ve got too much stuff to lose a day of productivity for that. 🙁
RB
Rod_Barker
Apr 20, 2007
I got it to install again after latest Clean utility .

first install this
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301>

then run this
<http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html>

Rod
SB
Scot_Baggett
Apr 20, 2007
I tried that already. Nothing.
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Apr 27, 2007
Totally strange – but success at last!

did all the things I have read about on the ‘net:-

Deactivate CS3 beta
Uninstall ALL Adobe products in the end
Ran cleanscript more than once
Uninstalled Bonjour
Removed Firefox
Allowed the setup.exe through the DEP
Copied the DVD contents onto the C:\ drive to run from there etc. etc.

But to no avail. Installer flashed up the progress bar pane, then just disappeared

Today I decided to roll back to my backup image, so after changing the startup sequence in the BIOS to ‘see’ the DVD first, I started up Vista with the DVD. As I was unsure about proceeding, I quit the installation process before doing anything, starting Windows normally. Almost as a reflex action I tried the CS3 install and – voila! off it went.

If this helps somebody then I would be extra happy (although tired and frustrated that Adobe doesn’t seem to have dealt with this problem).

Anthony.
KK
Keith_Keirstead
Apr 29, 2007
I have tried everything in this thread and the other threads. I never installed the Beta version so I don’t know what to do now. I have plenty of space and meet all of the requirements to install.
D
DonQ
May 1, 2007
ok folks, I fixed my problem. As I was trying to install ADOBE CS3 WEB PREMIUM I kept getting the same error message as everyone has been receiving. After install, Adobe creates a log file which can be located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers. I searched for the key word ERROR and found an error. It failed because it could not uninstall the flash plugin. I tried to uninstall the flash plugin though the add and remove window but it failed.

I then went in the registry in deleted all instances of FLASH.

I can now install CS3 without problem.

Make sure to backup the registry before attempting this. I hope this helps.
S
SteveYates
May 2, 2007
Wow this problem is annoying. It wouldn’t be nearly so bad if the install didn’t take an hour per attempt , or twice that if installing from the hard drive (AMD X2 4200, 2 GB RAM, antivirus disabled). I think the error message DonQ cites (from the 80+ MB log file) is:

Install Flash Player 8 Plugin.msi 3: {91057632-CA70-413C-B628-2D3CDBBB906B} 4: {91057632-CA70-413C-B628-2D3CDBBB906B}; 5: 0 6: 1 7: 1 8: 0
Error 1714.The older version of Adobe Flash Player 9 Plugin cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Obviously 8<9 so something is amiss. As I don’t want to stay up for another two hours to wait for the install to run yet again I will try to post back if uninstalling all Flash programs and plugins doesn’t work for me.

Adobe: next time please display something more useful than only telling us an error occurred.

– Steve Yates
– This message is certified virus-free. There’s no need to check. Really.

~ Taglines by Taglinator – www.srtware.com ~
S
SteveYates
May 2, 2007
Update: after uninstalling Flash 8, various versions of Macromedia Flash Player 8, and Adobe Flash Player 9, and removing several registry entries for Flash and Flash Player, CS3 failed a repair install (took an hour) but this time cited Flash CS3 not Shared Components. I uninstalled Flash CS3 (took 1 second!) and then installed Flash CS3 again (still took an hour), and it installed successfully.

– Steve Yates
– Cop tag: Another game not quite as fun as it sounds.

PG
Phil_Gons
May 4, 2007
I’m trying to install CS3 Web Premium. It succeeds with Acrobat Pro., Shared Components, and maybe Contribute; everything else fails. This has happened 4 times now. I uninstalled all Flash stuff, but am still having the same result. Oddly enough, the log file doesn’t have any errors in it. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with Microsoft Office 2007. If you used the beta, you couldn’t install the release version without formating the drive. These two companies have really dropped the ball! This is going to make people either not want to beta test or not want to upgrade after the beta test!

Phil Gons
I
Icarussk
May 5, 2007
I also have problems installing any CS3 program not just PhotoShop. Everytime I try to install it I get Component Install Failed. I have not been in CS3 beta program. Only beta I had was Lightroom. I tried everything I could find about this, registry clean, CS3 clean, disabling antivirus, firewall. Only option I didn’t try is reinstalling WinXp or Format of disk, which I simply won’t do!!! It would take several days for me to install and configure everything again. Does anyone have any success with this? Thanks.
JP
Jacob_Pitcher
May 9, 2007
I get the same error about not being able to uninstall the older version of the flash plugin. I’ve had this happen on two machines now and I fear that when CS3 is deployed to the entire campus we’ll have widespread occurrences of this problem. The following is an excerpt from the CS3 log file:

"Error 1714.The older version of Adobe Flash Player 9 Plugin cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

I’ve uninstalled the stand-alone copy of Acrobat 8 Professional that was installed on my system, run the cleanup script with both options, and also uninstalled the flash 9 player manually. The version of flash player installed on both machines was 9028.

The error returned in the event log when I ran a manual uninstall of the flash 9 activex control was the following:

Product: Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX — Error 1904.Module C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9b.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?
JP
Jacob_Pitcher
May 9, 2007
I’ve discovered that the problem does in fact lie with an older version of flash being installed. I’ve installed Design Premium on several test machines now. It failed on two of the three systems. Both of the failures occured when installing the flash 9 plugin. On one system I went through the registry and ripped out every registry entry dealing with the flash player I could find. I then uninstalled Windows XP Hotfix KB923789 which is an update for flash player 6. When installing CS3 Design Premium on that machine I see no errors in the event log about installing flash player 9, and I receive no license error message when starting the applications. On the second test machine I removed the offending hotfix and I am now installing again to narrow it down to either registry entries or the hotfix. The strange thing is that a third machine I installed CS3 Design Premium on HAD the hotfix, but installed successfully.
S
SteveYates
May 9, 2007
Jacob,

If you look closely I think the line right above the error you posted is probably what I saw, above:

Install Flash Player 8 Plugin.msi …

So I think the problem is that the Flash Player 8 install can’t deal with Flash Player 9 (referring to it as "older," etc.). If so, that’s obviously something Adobe didn’t test well.

Did you try removing all Flash entries from the registry as I suggested?

– Steve Yates
– ITS, Inc.
– Beta: Latin for "still doesn’t work."

JP
Jacob_Pitcher
May 9, 2007
Steve,

Yes, you are correct about the line above the error message I posted. As stated above I did go through a machine and rip out all entries dealing with flash and flash player as well as removed hotfix 923789 after which CS3 installed successfully. I removed only windows xp hotfix 923789 on another machine and attempted the install, however I am sorry so say that merely removing the hotfix did not work. My next step is to go through the registry as you suggested, however I do not look forward to deploying this kind of a fix to potentially hundreds of users in our enterprise. There has to be some better way…
JP
Jacob_Pitcher
May 9, 2007
— PROBLEM SOLVED —
— PROBLEM SUMMARY —

Once creative suite 3 was installed, any application from the suite would display a dialog complaining that "Licensing for this product has stopped working". The log file located in c:\program files\common files\adobe\installers contained an error in regards to Flash Player 9 ("Error 1714.The older version of Adobe Flash Player 9 Plugin cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.") The application log within the Windows event viewer also displayed an error pertaining to the inability to remove a previous version of the flash player from the system (Product: Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX — Error 1904.Module C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9b.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.).

Our enterprise is a long-time user (and abuser) of the Novell ZENworks snAppShot Utility in distributing applications via Novell Application Launcher. It is because of this unfortunate behavior that we must support many old application snAppShots. I was fortunate to have recently re-built my system and installed the Novell snAppShot for Flash 8 (the creator, not the player). This snAppShot contained Flash Player 8, and when installed via the snAppShot application object and not through its source MSI, it is unable to be uninstalled from that source MSI. As the Creative Suite 3 installer cannot be expected to deal with uninstalling applications that have been re-packaged, it was unable to remove the snAppShot version of Flash Player 8.

— PROBLEM SOLUTION —

I enabled the uninstall function on the application object for Flash 8 and was able to forcefully uninstall Flash 8 (as well as the player it included). After uninstalling the application object, the CS3 install completed successfully.
BW
Billy_Watts
May 10, 2007
I was basically having most of the above problems (failed component install, with a bit of "Licensing stopped working" error messages thrown in). After doing all of the Adobe recommended steps, I, Like DonQ, tracked the problem down to not being able to uninstall the previous version of the flash player, which in my case was the debugger flash player 9 activex. I was getting windows errors 1721 both in the log file and when I attempted to uninstall it through add/remove programs. I downloaded the flash player uninstaller from Adobe, which seemed to remove the files but not the registry entries. I had to search the registry for flash until I found the flash player 9 activex entry and removed it. After that, the install worked. Hope it helps…
JA
juan_aviles
May 12, 2007
hey crhis, did you ever solve this problem? cuz i have the exact one, everytime i try ti install it, after the installation it says that there were 2 components erros, cs3 and shared components…ireally dont know what to do, PLEASE someone help me
T
tnynyn
May 14, 2007
I had the same problem, failed to install components. Took me a while to figure it out, but I can say I’ve successfully installed it. Here are the steps:

Uninstall ALL Adobe products (Acrobat Reader, Flash Player, Macromedia, etc…)

Run the Adobe CS3 Cleaner script

OR manually:
Delete ALL Adobe folders and Flash Player related files (Run a search for ADOBE and FLASH related files/folder, but be careful as some "flash" files are system files for flash drives, ie INF files)

VERY IMPORTANT to check to make sure these folders are deleted (\Program Files\Adobe AND \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe)

Install CS3 again.

Let me know if that helps anyone.

-Tony N
AF
Adam_Foale
Jun 20, 2007
And the worst thing is, if you read the install logs, is that the entire app (be it DW CS3 or whatever fails) does not install because the installer cannot update the "Open with…" file extension detail in the registry. That’s it! (in my case anyway)

Are we back in 1994 again? I mean really, having to edit and manually purge the registry before doing an install?!? Looks like the only way to get the CS3 suite to install first up is on a clean install of Windows. What a crock!

Adobe has dropped the ball yet again… So disappointing.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 20, 2007
the entire app … does not install because the installer cannot update the "Open with…" file extension detail in the registry.

I guess if they had included a file associations options dialog in the install procedure this could have been avoided, as well as the automatic installation of a lot of stuff like Version Cue, Bonjour and other stuff a lot of people don’t want.

And as for forcibly taking over the Windows dialog when an external medium is connected…
J
JT21
Apr 15, 2008
A few days ago, I opened my Adobe Photoshop CS3 Web Premium and it told me I cannot use it anymore. Same with Adobe Fireworks. I was told by the error message to uninstall or reinstall, which I did. But after uninstalling and installing CS3, only Adobe Acrobat was successful. All other components failed.

I’m sorry but I really don’t understand the thing about Flash mentioned earlier. Can someone please help me out?
D
douglassBenjammin
Jul 30, 2008
For anyone who has a customized windows installation, via nLite or similar, I would suggest making sure that "help & support" and "service pack messages" are not removed from the source… I just rebuilt my XP Pro unattended disc and made sure to keep these components (I normally removed them) but after not being able to install CS3 no matter what, I figured I’d try it… and well… it worked!!!
J
JL5199
Aug 8, 2008

1. I ran revo uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com) and unstalled everything adobe (EXCEPT adobe type manager)

2. followed instruction here: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 401401&sliceId=2>

3. Installed and ran Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)

4. ran CS3Clean Script (http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html)

5. rebooted

6. installed anew and it worked seemslessly
SB
Sofus_Busch-Jensen
Oct 1, 2008
* ** This is a solution ***

Hi all!

I have had many problems with the installation of Adboe CS3 full package. Yesterday I managed to find the problem, correct it, and install the full package without any problems!

The problem: Some of the components but not all installed ok. After installation completed the report stated that some components failed. Why did some components complete okay, while others did not?

I looked thru the net. Simular problems many places – different solutions: Adobe CleanScript, Macromedia uninstallation, Flash play uninstallation, starting windows with only a minimum of services running etc.

All very well – but did not solve my problem. Finally I got an idea:

Cleaning the registry. First program did this with grace:

< http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner .htm>

Next up: Repairing the errors within the registry.

This task was done with PC Tools Registry Mechanic

<http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/>

Registry mechanic found some 126 problems. Fixed all but 15.

Did another search and ended up with the same 15 problems. 0 was ignored – but the 15 still remained. Strange!?!

Then it was time to "Do it the hard way"-work.

I opened up the registry. Used Registry Workshop:
<http://www.torchsoft.com/>

And found the key which Registry Mechanic failed to repair / delete. Found it and tried to rename it. No go! Tried to delete it – no go!

The followed more googling: I did not have the needed promission to access the keys!

So the solution: Make sure that the account from which you try to install CS3 has the needed permission to edit the registry!

Look inside the registry and locate the Adobe keys. Right-click the key, choose

Maybe this tool can be helpful in the task: SetACL

<http://www.helge.mynetcologne.de/setacl/>

This KB informs about the the task of setting the permissions:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310426>

Looking closer at the registry keys gave an explaination:

NO PERMISSIONS where set for the Administrator account (from which I tried to install).

I had to manually set the permission level within the registry. About 60-70 keys where modified giving full control.

After all this editting the installation was re-started and this time it completed with absolutely no error… And all programs worked… I was so glad – and of course decided to share this good news with you.

The installation failed but no clear log file with useful information was generated. This was very frustrating!

Hope this will be helpful to others struggling with the installation of CS3.

Best wishes,
Busch-Jensen
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2008
NO PERMISSIONS where set for the Administrator account (from which I tried to install).

wow. good find.

The installation failed but no clear log file with useful information was generated. This was very frustrating!

that stinks. it’s not hard for a program to tell when a registy key write fails. how hard would it be to write: "HLKM/SOFTWARE/ADOBE/KEY modify failed. Aborting installation"?

good find busch-jensen!
SB
Sofus_Busch-Jensen
Oct 1, 2008
dave milbut – Thank you very much! I will try to get in touch with the staff at Adobe Support for a comment on my solution. I earlier on tried to get help from them but the only response unfortunately was that I should send in my log-file. This file shows no sign of any troubles with writing kays to the registry.

I am seriousely looking to help as many people as possible with my findings because I would like to avoid people needing to spend the same large amount of time struggling with the installation as I did. 🙂

Sincerely,
Busch-Jensen
GS
Giridhar_Seel
Oct 3, 2008
when i started to install adobe flash cs3 professional it works for some times like doing installation,but after some time it rises a command that
"please install the adobe flash cs3 installation process"something like that so whatz the real problem and solution……
plz answer me.
MS
MF_Sinclair
Dec 14, 2008
I saved a long time to purchase a licensed student copy of Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium for $600. I have a pristine hi powered 9 month old Dell machine and a pristine carefully maintained Vista Home Premium operating system. No experimental software has ever come close to this box.

When Photoshop one day would not open a file I thought first to uninstall and then re-install the product. 10 hours into it I am still at ground zero and what a waste of my life because Adobe support for this is non-existent.

IS THIS IT? THIS IS THE SUPPORT? I think Adobe should have a commercial that says, save for your $600 student Web Premium package and then TALK TO THE HAND when you waste a day or two of your life looking for answers into why it does NOT work. I’m going to have to rebuild the entire machine because of this. I hope millions of people learn that a company that does not reach out to honest users that paid huge amounts for licensed software… to help resolve a problem this common, Adobe you stink.
MS
MF_Sinclair
Dec 14, 2008
I saved a long time to purchase a licensed student copy of Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium for $600. I have a pristine hi powered 9 month old Dell machine and a pristine carefully maintained Vista Home Premium operating system. No experimental software has ever come close to this box.

When Photoshop one day would not open a file I thought first to uninstall and then re-install the product. 10 hours into it I am still at ground zero and what a waste of my life because Adobe support for this is non-existent.

IS THIS IT? THIS IS THE SUPPORT? I think Adobe should have a commercial that says, save for your $600 student Web Premium package and then TALK TO THE HAND when you waste a day or two of your life looking for answers into why it does NOT work. I’m going to have to rebuild the entire machine because of this. I hope millions of people learn that a company that does not reach out to honest users that paid huge amounts for licensed software… to help resolve a problem this common, Adobe grow up a little and help this group out.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 14, 2008
When Photoshop one day would not open a file I thought first to uninstall and then re-install the product.

That’s rather a drastic course of action. Did you try a different file? Did you look at the FAQs and reset PS preferences?

Have you now got it installed again? Do you still get the same problem? If so perhaps you could describe your system and give details of what happens!

It’s hard to sympathise with such a vague rant and even harder to help. 🙁
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 14, 2008
there’s no such thing as a pristine 9 month old machine unless you took it out of the box yesterday.
DC
Danielle_Correll
Dec 27, 2008
Vista — Solution for many receiving the “component install failed” error

Hi all this may or may not work for you, however this is what I had done and what helped me and got this to work.

First of all, scream in a pillow – We all understand.

MOST Importantly be sure that you are an admin user before doing any of this. Also be sure to back up your registry and/or drives before proceeding with any fix, just a CYA (cover your A$$) thing. You can back up your registry easily using the eusing free registry cleaner.

1/ uninstall instances of adobe, flash, macromedia programs and components from the add/remove programs

2/while you are at it might as well remove any other programs that are not needed

3/After any uninstallations continue on by running the windows installer cleanup (if you click on it to run it and receive an error “permission denied” then you didn’t run it as an admin. Do run as an admin open the file that the windows installer cleanup program is in, right-click and run as an admin. Remove any instances of Adobe and Macromedia.

4/after that is complete move on by using a registry cleaner — Try Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. You can find this on cnet.com under the downloads. Clean up the invalid file or folders and move on.

5/ Reboot and run both the registry cleaner and the windows installer cleanup again.

6/ Reboot and then run the CS3 Clean up script.

7/ Reboot

8/ Attempt to reinstall your CS3 Product…. AND SUCCEED!

9/ Do Cartwheels around the house and take a nice sigh of relief as you are not crazy it is a program issue.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections