MA
Posted By
Mary_Ann_de_Banate
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve searched the forums, the FAQ Archives, and the thread "How to Get Helop Quickly", and I have not seen the response to this type of problem, but I apologize beforehand if this has already been discussed.

Like many, I have encountered an installation problem when trying to install Adobe Photoshop 6.0. I am using the original disk. After entering the serial number, the error is described as:

Component move data had the following error:

Media Name: data
Component: App_Photoshop
File Group: App_PS
File: ACE.dll
Error Number: -106 (refer to online help)

I followed the suggestion from Dave Milbut (dave milbut "Component Move data had the following error 106" 3/23/04 8:28pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/1>) and tried to transfer the files from the disk to my hard drive after clearing my TEMP folder. When I tried to do this, an error screen popped up saying:

Cannot copy data: Invalid MS-DOS function

I tried to transfer the entire content of the disk and received this error. Then, I tried to transfer only the ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 6.0 folder and its contents but receieved the same error.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that right before I tried to install Photoshop, I just installed Microsoft Office 2000? If not, what can I do from here?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 21, 2004
Cannot copy data: Invalid MS-DOS function

either you have a bad install disk or your hard drive has problems. runs chkdsk with the surface check option.

make sure you clean out all temp locations. check your specific temp location by going into My Computer> properties> advanced> enviornment variables. look for any refrences to TMP or TEMP. empty those folders listed in both the user and system sections (they might be the same, but not always). also search the \windows folder for more TEMP folders and empty them out.

copy the photoshop folder from the disk to the hard drive. if THAT copy still fails, you’ve got a bad disk, bad os install or flaky hard drive.

btw, what os are you running? how was it installed? clean (format> install) or as an upgrade over say win9x or winMe?
L
LenHewitt
Jul 21, 2004
Or a dodgy CD_ROM drive, of course…
JT
Jo_Timms
Jul 23, 2004
I have the same problem, i have just formatted my hdd and installed (from fresh) xp pro. I’ve deleted all temp files amd i still can’t copy the photoshop files from cd to hdd. It all works perfectly on my notebook (win 2000) i’ve read all correspondence on this topic. I can only think it must be a hdd problem conflicting. How can i check this.
JO
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 23, 2004
see the other thread you posted in jo. in the future jo, it’s usually (and by that I mean always <G>) better for you to start your own thread.

dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections