J
Posted By
JasonSmith
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why does my proof setup change when I do a CMYK>RGB mode conversion?

I have a custom profile selected that I want to view with to see the before/after results, but once the conversion is done it changes my proof setup to the working CMYK.

If I undo with my custom profile selected, it goes back to the working CMYK which is bad. If I click back in history states, it does not revert to the working CMYK, which is good.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
First off, I feel that the proof set-up is missing a "stickyness" to it, but the powers that be will argue that if you do a mode change, you want to discard the proof set-up to reduce the possible color preview confusion.

Adobe has taken away the profile to profile command for fear of this very issue and I think it was a bad move because it makes the application klugy to use when viewing source and destination color spaces prior to a conversion along with aft conversions and the proof set-up issues at hand. Call it a safety guard or a pain in the ass. You choose. Clearly the advanced check box in the color settings needs to act more of a governor than just blowing wind up my skirt.

As far as it defaulting back to the working space and not the previous color space, It’s not what I’d want as well and it should be fixed or at least discussed.

I know, just implement a prebinding workflow and we can chuck this whole proof set-up in the trash and turn it into a real tool.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 9, 2004
"you want to discard the proof set-up to reduce the possible color preview confusion."

That is completely backwards thinking.

It gives the illusion that your colors ‘shift’ with the conversion, when most of the shift is from the profile change, I would think that would bring more confusion, at least it did for me for about 5 seconds.

You’d think they would at least have the proof setup disable completely if that’s what they were going for.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
That is completely backwards thinking. <

ya think?

The whole thing is backwards.

Color mgmt. needs to be more seamless, not more twisted.

I got milk….

Adobe should start listening to the cash cow.

mooooooo……

<http://www.creativecow.net>
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 9, 2004
It gives the illusion that your colors ‘shift’ with the conversion, when most of the shift is from the profile change,

Isn’t a conversion changing from one profile to another?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
yes, but being able to change the source color space while viewing the destination has much greater control.

Basically, we need a color tweener for input and output.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 9, 2004
"Isn’t a conversion changing from one profile to another?"

Yes, but when soft proofing, it gives the illusion that you are still viewing with your custom profile.

If I can softproof with that profile in both CMYK and RGB mode, why cant I do a conversion while viewing with that profile?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 10, 2004
Because Adobe doesn’t think you are smart enough to do so.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 10, 2004
So they want to confuse the issue further by going to working CMYK – which uses a completely different profile?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 10, 2004
Jas,

many people use the application in many different ways. We are also learning from what has been created and from that, we change it, I hope….

You have no idea how influential users are to the development of the application, but there are things that hit road blocks at times so we try and convince the creators to see it our way.

If you feel strongly, please ex-cerise your right, right here and give the reasons why you need change.

mo
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 10, 2004
"Isn’t a conversion changing from one profile to another?"

Yes,

The turn of phrase just had me confused there for a minute…

yes, but being able to change the source color space while viewing the destination has much greater control.

Couln’t agree more
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 10, 2004
Couln’t agree more <

Amen Adobe!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 11, 2004
I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name…….

It feels good to be out on the range…..

In the desert…..

you can’t remember your name…

for there is no one…to…give you no pain….

la, la ,la, la-la-la, la, la, la, la-la…
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 11, 2004
Why don’t you come to your senses… you been out ridin’ fences for so long now….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
oh.

dady is with the one….
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
"If you feel strongly, please ex-cerise your right, right here and give the reasons why you need change."

Well, for one: the whole purpose of the feature is so the user can make changes to a file, and see how those changes affect the final output using a specific profile for soft proofing. In this case I was simply doing a CMYK>RGB mode conversion, and wanted to see the adverse effect of that change while soft proofing with a specific profile.

As of now, it makes no sense to default back to the working CMYK in soft proof.

If it’s something they put in to ‘avoid’ confusion, then it would make more sense for soft proof to turn off completely – NOT default to a totally different profile than what the user is ‘assuming’ is loaded.

It creates more confusion than it fixes.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
Jas,

In theory, when you do a CMYK to RGB conversion, (smaller to larger color space changes), it’s less likely that you’ll see a perceptual difference, as I’m sure you are aware of. Requesting it to be sticky after a conversion can create some confusion to the average user, so I think that’s why they have this behavior as of now. To view the image for what it is now. The proof setup can be a messy tool at times so I think this is why it behaves as such.

What you can do to stop the proof set up from defaulting back to the working CMYK is to set the proof set up to whatever custom color space you want prior to opening any files. This will make the proof set up a least be sticky to your desired soft proof, but it ain’t gonna fix the stickyness you request during and after a color space conversion.

To me, everything should be in soft proofing mode (prebinding) and do the conversion upon file export, but that’s another story.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
"Requesting it to be sticky after a conversion can create some confusion to the average user, so I think that’s why they have this behavior as of now."

The problem is the wrong thing is sticky…. if they want to avoid confusion, fine.

Then have the proof setup disable itself completely.

But having the proof setup default to working CMYK without the user’s knowlege does NOT avoid confusion, it makes it worse!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
JAS!!!!!

have you done this?

What you can do to stop the proof set up from defaulting back to the working CMYK is to set the proof set up to whatever custom color space you want…………… prior………. to opening any files.

This will make the proof set up a least be sticky to your desired soft proof, but it ain’t gonna fix the stickyness you request during and after a color space conversion.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
Yes, that at least leaves the profile alone but disables proof setup altogether.

For the time being I’m just going to have to get used to toggling back and forth in history if I want to preview a mode change while soft proofing with a profile that isnt the working CMYK.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
Yes, that at least leaves the profile alone but disables proof setup altogether.

Then make a script to turn on the proof set up or set your working space to the profile you want to soft-proof to and use the convert to profile for conversions only.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
I’ve got any one of 20 different medias that I need to soft proof for, some with different Kgen settings for different applications.

In Adobe’s mind, how is it less confusing to change my default color settings every time I need to proof for one of those medias?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
Well,

I expect you to jump through hoops and do mindless workarounds until it changes.

What do you think I do all day?
J
JasonSmith
Apr 12, 2004
Do I actually have to make a FR out of this?

Would they even listen?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 12, 2004
beta dude or the feature request.

and yes, they listen, but it may take some time to get it integrated.

my schedule is about 4 years out.

If I make it that long in this industry so they better collect my brain cells while they can.

my 2 cents.
P
progress
Apr 13, 2004
dont ask how far out my schedule is…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections