D
Posted By
dave
Jan 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to change the default proof setup to monitor rgb. How do I do it ? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Roy
Jan 31, 2005
"dave" wrote in message
I want to change the default proof setup to monitor rgb. How do I do it ? Thanks.

Why would you want to change it to your Monitor Profile?

If you have a profile for your monitor in your system, PS will aready be using that to show your images on your Monitor. "Soft Proofing" is so that you can see what your image would (probably) look like when printed on a certain Printer / Paper combination, by using the profile for that combination. If you get PS to use your Monitor Profile normally, and then to proof by using your Monitor Profile again, you are bound to get inaccurate colour on screen. It is just the same situation as getting PS and your Printer to each do the colour management for a print. Wrong colours are guaranteed.

Roy
D
dave
Jan 31, 2005
I want to see what the image will look like when it’s e-mailed to whoever. Incedentally using my moitor profile crashed photoshop. The default colors didn’t print at all like what is displayed in photoshop.

"Roy" wrote in message
"dave" wrote in message

If you have a profile for your monitor in your system, PS will aready be using that to show your images on your Monitor. "Soft Proofing" is so
that
you can see what your image would (probably) look like when printed on a certain Printer / Paper combination, by using the profile for that combination. If you get PS to use your Monitor Profile normally, and then to proof by using your Monitor Profile again, you are bound to get inaccurate colour on screen. It is just the same situation as getting PS and your Printer to each do the colour management for a print. Wrong
colours
are guaranteed.

Roy

R
Roy
Jan 31, 2005
"dave" wrote in message
I want to see what the image will look like when it’s e-mailed to whoever. Incedentally using my moitor profile crashed photoshop. The default colors didn’t print at all like what is displayed in photoshop.
"Roy" wrote in message
"dave" wrote in message
I want to change the default proof setup to monitor rgb. How do I do it ?
Thanks.

If you have a profile for your monitor in your system, PS will aready be using that to show your images on your Monitor. "Soft Proofing" is so
that
you can see what your image would (probably) look like when printed on a certain Printer / Paper combination, by using the profile for that combination. If you get PS to use your Monitor Profile normally, and then
to proof by using your Monitor Profile again, you are bound to get inaccurate colour on screen. It is just the same situation as getting PS and your Printer to each do the colour management for a print. Wrong
colours
are guaranteed.

Roy

Hi Dave.

If you and the other person are both using PS, (or some other Colour Managed Application), and both have Monitor Profiles, and have Calibrated the Monitors, then both of you should see the picture looking exactly the same. But only when it is viewed in the CM’d Application, and Web Browsers are not CM’d. As I said in my earlier post, PS should already be using your Monitor Profile to display your images on screen. It will do so automatically, and you don’t have to do anything other than use Adobe Gamma, in the Windows Control Panel, to Calibrate your Monitor.

In Colour Settings (can’t remember where it is in PS 6) you should have the "Working Space" set to sRGB or Adobe RGB, but NOT to Monitor RGB. The "Policies Boxes" should be set to "Convert to Working RGB" and the Tick Boxes to "Ask before Opening / Pasting"

Have a look at the PS help Files about Colour Management, but be warned, it is not an easy subject to understand.

To get correct Colours in a Print you need to get PS to use the correct Printer and Paper Profiles, and ensure that only PS is doing CM and the Printer is not doing CM.

Have a look at Ayr Camera Club Website, at www.ayrphoto.co.uk and go to the "Notices and Info" pages then to Printing with PS and Epson.

Hope this helps.

Roy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections