Pepe
Dec 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I allocate more RAM for CS3?

I have 2GB RAM in my PC-computer.

In PS CS3 it says I have 526MB available!

I would like to use 1GB RAM for PS CS3.

Max L
www.pix4chicks.se

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mesa
Dec 18, 2007
Pepe wrote:

Max L
www.pix4chicks.se

Check what you are using the remainder of the RAM for and see how much is being loaded at startup.

Windows task manager / Processes.

Then under EDIT / Preferences / performance – slide or allocate – there is a recommended range there as well.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 18, 2007
"Pepe" wrote in message

You have a system problem. My XP pro system has 2 GB, and Photoshop shows
1.7 gig available. I have the usual clutter running in the background,
Skype, Acroread, and other programs. I recommend that you:

0) Disk is memory. Check the amount of free disk space on your swap drive, and make sure you have 2GB or more free on that drive.
1) right click on My Computer, click on Properties, and see how much ram is actually installed. You may be surprised.
2) type ctrl-alt-delete, run Task Manager, click on the processes tab, and sort by memory use. Look for any programs that are using an inordinate amount of memory space – a gig or more.

You’ll get there.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
G
gowanoh
Dec 18, 2007
The amount of useless crud running in the background on both Windows and Macs is astounding. One of the worst offenders is Itunes but other media players are pretty bad also. The ubiquitous free Adobe Reader is a big offender. Antivirus and firewall programs can eat up amazing amounts of memory and CPU time, Symantec programs being prime offenders although the most recent edition is said not to be as bad as its utterly lame predecessors. Some programs do not give up all their memory and resources even though you have closed them; this can be an issue with older versions of Word.
You should run anti-spyware and anti-rootkit programs to see if one of those things is eating up memory and resources. You might be surprised.
M
mesa
Dec 19, 2007
Mike Russell wrote:
"Pepe" wrote in message

You have a system problem. My XP pro system has 2 GB, and Photoshop shows
1.7 gig available. I have the usual clutter running in the background,
Skype, Acroread, and other programs. I recommend that you:
0) Disk is memory. Check the amount of free disk space on your swap drive, and make sure you have 2GB or more free on that drive.
1) right click on My Computer, click on Properties, and see how much ram is actually installed. You may be surprised.
2) type ctrl-alt-delete, run Task Manager, click on the processes tab, and sort by memory use. Look for any programs that are using an inordinate amount of memory space – a gig or more.

You’ll get there.

Ah that says something, the ram is not being seen by PS hence its only showing 512.

Just check if the ram is showing in your – System Properties > General.

If its not then you have a RAM computability problem – happens with newer systems and cheap ram chips. Try reseating it first tho.

r
D
dvus
Dec 19, 2007
"Rob." wrote in message
Mike Russell wrote:
"Pepe" wrote in message

You have a system problem. My XP pro system has 2 GB, and Photoshop shows 1.7 gig available. I have the usual clutter running in the background, Skype, Acroread, and other programs. I recommend that you:
1) right click on My Computer, click on Properties, and see how much ram
is actually installed. You may be surprised.

You’ll get there.

Ah that says something, the ram is not being seen by PS hence its only showing 512.

If its not then you have a RAM computability problem – happens with newer systems and cheap ram chips. Try reseating it first tho.

There have been problems with some mobos when trying to get memory to run in dual channel mode and it’s not a stretch to imagine the system refusing to recognize the second stick. Dual channel sticks are usually installed in disparate slots to get one in each memory channel, like 1&3 or 2&4. I’d try putting them instead in DIMM0 and DIMM1 to see if they’ll run in the same channel. If so, the problem may be the latency setting or the ram quality.

dvus
B
bazwillrunREMOVE
Dec 19, 2007
"Rob." wrote in message
Mike Russell wrote:
"Pepe" wrote in message

You have a system problem. My XP pro system has 2 GB, and Photoshop shows 1.7 gig available. I have the usual clutter running in the background, Skype, Acroread, and other programs. I recommend that you:
1) right click on My Computer, click on Properties, and see how much ram
is actually installed. You may be surprised.

You’ll get there.

r

sometimes swapping the ram in to different slots can make a difference

also try booting with just one ram slot used and see what mem shows up and then just keep adding the ram and check that it sees them as you add them
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 4, 2008
wrote in message
I increased the memory on my computer from 2G to 4G. Under system properties it says I have 3G, I know that XP doesn’t recognize 4G. But in CS3 it says I have available RAM of 1.7 G, same as when I had 2G installed. Anyone know why this is?

If you have XP Pro, boot with the /3GB switch to bump the amount of memory available to applications.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAE mem.mspx

This will probably not work for XP Home, but I would give it a try. —
Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
V
vred24
Jan 5, 2008
I increased the memory on my computer from 2G to 4G. Under system properties it says I have 3G, I know that XP doesn’t recognize 4G. But in CS3 it says I have available RAM of 1.7 G, same as when I had 2G installed. Anyone know why this is?
DJ
david johnson
Jan 5, 2008
no 32bit os can see 4gb, thats why
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAE mem.mspx might help

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:32:19 +0800, "Mike Russell" wrote:

wrote in message

If you have XP Pro, boot with the /3GB switch to bump the amount of memory available to applications.
This will probably not work for XP Home, but I would give it a try.
P
Pepe
Jan 5, 2008
Hi,

Thank you for all your answers.
I can see in system that I now have 3 Gb RAM availabe for use! I have put in two more 1GB RAM modules. Still there is only 1,7 GB available in PS…

Max L
www.pix4chicks.se

"Pepe" skrev i meddelandet

Max L
www.pix4chicks.se

V
vred24
Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for your help, that worked.

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:32:19 +0800, "Mike Russell" wrote:

wrote in message

This will probably not work for XP Home, but I would give it a try.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections