LO
Posted By
Luis ORTEGA
Oct 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need a sony or scandisk memory stick- not duo or pro- to fit an older sony digital camera.
They are no longer manufactured and my camera won’t accept the pro or duo versions.
Can anyone suggest a uk source for these?
Thanks for any advice.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob LaBlawgh
Oct 3, 2009
Luis Ortega wrote:
I need a sony or scandisk memory stick- not duo or pro- to fit an older sony digital camera.
They are no longer manufactured and my camera won’t accept the pro or duo versions.
Thanks for any advice.

No advice other than never buy Sony cameras. Canon (and others) will take anything. Sony needs its own special memory card thing.

Bob LaBlawgh
β€œIt’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”
AB
Alan Browne
Oct 3, 2009
Luis Ortega wrote:
Thanks for any advice.

ebay, kijiji, craigslist…
AB
Alan Browne
Oct 3, 2009
Bob LaBlawgh wrote:
Luis Ortega wrote:
Thanks for any advice.

No advice other than never buy Sony cameras. Canon (and others) will take anything. Sony needs its own special memory card thing.

Sony alphas all take CF cards. Some, optionally, take MemStick.
AB
Alan Browne
Oct 3, 2009
Bob LaBlawgh wrote:
Luis Ortega wrote:
Thanks for any advice.

…. further, try finding a low enough storage memory card for a Canon that is 5 years old and it will be just as difficult as finding an old mem stick…
J
jjs
Oct 3, 2009
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

… further, try finding a low enough storage memory card for a Canon that is 5 years old and it will be just as difficult as finding an old mem stick…

Don’t ya just love digital over film? It’s shit like that…
R
Rick
Oct 4, 2009
"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
:I need a sony or scandisk memory stick- not duo or pro- to fit an older : sony digital camera.
: They are no longer manufactured and my camera won’t accept the pro or : duo versions.
: Can anyone suggest a uk source for these?
: Thanks for any advice.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
LO
Luis ORTEGA
Oct 4, 2009
NotMe wrote:
:I need a sony or scandisk memory stick- not duo or pro- to fit an older : sony digital camera.
: They are no longer manufactured and my camera won’t accept the pro or : duo versions.

Thanks, I’ve already looked in such places but no luck.
I imagine that some shop must have them still.
We have this road in London full of crappy shops selling dodgy electronic camera and computer equipment and I might try them the next time I am in town.
I would like a new item rather than someone’s used card which may be as old as mine.
The original memory stick was only 128 mb max, so my card can only hold about 60 photos at best resolution, and I only have the one. It’s a shame because it is a really fine camera with a great big lens that makes excellent images.
AB
Alan Browne
Oct 4, 2009
John Stafford wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

… further, try finding a low enough storage memory card for a Canon that is 5 years old and it will be just as difficult as finding an old mem stick…

Perhaps. I was surprised when Nikon began using SD/SDHC in their DSLR’s as I like the (what I thought was a) de facto standard of CF in DSLR’s. Now Nikon have a mix with the higher end gear steadfastly CF and consumer gear trending to SD.

However, even in the film days, the various manufacturers did funny things like proprietary pinning of flash mounts, Minolta completely changed their flash shoe, different battery formats and so on.
V
Voivod
Oct 4, 2009
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:32:15 -0500, John Stafford
scribbled:

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I’ve got a perfectly functional AE-1 in the closet, it’s survived a 40 foot fall off a cliff into a snow bank, been fished out of rapids after my canoe went all pear shaped on some rocks and… I’ll never use it again. I can get nearly the equivalent of 15 36-exposure rolls of film on one memory card. I never pay for processing. It takes less than a minute or so to move the images off the card and I’m ready to shoot another 500 images. One of my backup SD cards, a 1/2 gig, is six years old and still works. Yeah, I love digital over film and I’ll never go back.
D
dvus
Oct 4, 2009
"Voivod" wrote in message
scribbled:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I’ve got a perfectly functional AE-1 in the closet, it’s survived a 40 foot fall off a cliff into a snow bank, been fished out of rapids after my canoe went all pear shaped on some rocks and… I’ll never use it again. I can get nearly the equivalent of 15 36-exposure rolls of film on one memory card. I never pay for processing. It takes less than a minute or so to move the images off the card and I’m ready to shoot another 500 images. One of my backup SD cards, a 1/2 gig, is six years old and still works. Yeah, I love digital over film and I’ll never go back.

One word… instant preview!
Plus, my Canon uses any SD I stick in it and holds 1600 plus 3888 X 2592 low compression images at a whack. I can shoot a dozen shots of something to (maybe) get what I wanted all day.

dvus
V
Voivod
Oct 4, 2009
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:11:56 -0400, "dvus"
scribbled:

scribbled:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I usually have that off to save battery life.

Plus, my Canon uses any SD I stick in it and holds 1600 plus 3888 X 2592 low compression images at a whack. I can shoot a dozen shots of something to (maybe) get what I wanted all day.

I do that, get a bunch and the chances of one being great increase.
D
dvus
Oct 5, 2009
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:11:56 -0400, "dvus"
scribbled:
scribbled:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

I usually have that off to save battery life.

You’re braver than me, then. I need to see if I did anything dumb when I shoot something I really want.

I do that, get a bunch and the chances of one being great increase.

Agreed. But I personally need that quick preview to see what I can improve. Y’know, like making the subject the focal point rather than the tree in the background. I have some lovely, well focused shots of oak trees only partially obscured by a fuzzy bride in the foreground. But, I keep trying!

dvus
D
dvus
Oct 5, 2009
NotMe wrote:

Thanks, I’ve already looked in such places but no luck.
I imagine that some shop must have them still.
We have this road in London full of crappy shops selling dodgy electronic camera and computer equipment and I might try them the next time I am in town.
I would like a new item rather than someone’s used card which may be as old as mine.
The original memory stick was only 128 mb max, so my card can only hold about 60 photos at best resolution, and I only have the one.
It’s a shame because it is a really fine camera with a great big lens that makes excellent images.

Thought I could help but it was a Memory Stick Duo. Bummer.

Interestingly I also found some old thumb-drives, 128 meg and such. What do most people do with those things? I *hate* to toss ’em, but I can’t imagine ever using ’em either. They’re not even useful as "Memory Boost" devices. What do others do with ’em?

dvus

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections