AM
Posted By
Arlen McElwee
Sep 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In most programs when you crop with a oval it cut out these rest of picture for you. In elements how do you make oval photos with no background or no square with box behind it?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Arlen,

All images are actually a rectangle (square) but if they appear to be some other shape that is because every area except that shape is transparent. Only some formats respect transparency. The native format of Photoshop Elements (.psd) will support transparency and so will Tiff and Gif. I believe there is one other also, perhaps .png. Jpg does not.

To make an oval shaped image, one way to do it is;
* make sure you drag the Layers Palette out of the well (grab the tab and pull it down to the work area)
* on the one layer showing in the Layers Palette, double click your background layer to unlock it and have it become a regular layer
* duplicate your background layer
* you now have two layers in palette
* click on the eye on the bottom layer to temporarily make it invisible * click on the top layer to make it active
* get the elliptical marquee from the Tools Palette (it might be hidden behind the rectangular marquee, if so, rest your cursor over the rect. mar. and choose the ellipse from the fly out)
* start dragging the tool from the top left diagonally where you want your selection to be * to move it around a little after drawing it, keep cursor inside lines and drag * if you need to redraw, press Control and the D on the keyboard (Ctrl/D) to remove selection lines and begin again
* when satisfied, go to Select>Inverse>Delete
* everything outside of your lines will be erased to transparency * if you wish to feather the selection, after you draw it choose Select>Feather and type in the amount
* you now have an oval shaped image
* go to Save>Save As, choose the .psd format and name it

NOTE: you could do this also by; after creating the oval shape, (no need to delete the area around the ellipse) go to Edit>Copy and then create a new blank document and with it active, go Edit>Paste.

Come back is you have another question.
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Arlen,

Of course it is best practice to always work on a copy, never an original.
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
EPS also supports transparency with the use of clipping paths but that probably isn’t a relevant format for your needs at this point.
AM
Arlen McElwee
Sep 4, 2003
Thanks for the info
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 5, 2003
I can’t help wondering if you all realize just how much help your answers are to those of us who are striving to learn this program!

This was exactly the question I have been struggling with for about four days and was going to get brave enough to ask it tonight! So I’m glad Arlen asked it.

I appreciate the replies to all these questions so much. They are better, I think, than many of the manuals, because they answer explicit questions in explicit ways.

Thank you so much. I’m going to make my first OVAL picture tonight, I’m sure. lol

Appreciatively,

Lorace
NS
Nancy S
Sep 5, 2003
Lorace,

It was so nice of you to post the kind words about the folks on this forum, I’m sure the positive feedback is welcomed.

But what’s this about being "brave enough" to ask a question??? This forum is for asking questions and sharing information. Just jump in when you have a question. There are no dumb questions and I have never ever seen a shark in these waters.

Nancy
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Jodi, those of us using newsreader access aren’t getting to enjoy your ‘aquarium’….!

🙁

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Sorry Chuck, I don’t see why you all use news reader anyways ;). What’s so terrible about the web forum ?

Was wondering… This news reader business…is that where we are getting all these annoying ‘auto quote ‘ functions on the forum ?
P
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
I think so, Jodi. I’ve been trying to figure out how to sabotage them but so far haven’t come up with any ideas that are legal. I understand using a few key words every once in a while, but the headers, too???
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Jodi and Beth – You’re right – the autoquote comes from the way the newsreader frames its reply ; the body of the message to which you’re replying plus the sender’s address (as carried behind the scenes in the forum) pops up when you begin to reply. You have to remember to erase it before going on. It’s sometimes useful to include snippets of the original message for reference, especially in a long, winding chain like we occasionally get here, but the address should always be zapped.

Why use the newsgroup vs. the forum? It’s easier for me; it shows up as its own box in Outlook Express, which is where my e-mail resides. I can filter to show only unread messages, and, very important to me, I can drag and drop copies of really good replies into my Photoshop Tips box (You two have some of your excellent suggestions in residence there…!)

🙂

Chuck
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 5, 2003
"Jodi Frye" wrote in message
Sorry Chuck, I don’t see why you all use news reader
anyways ;). What’s so terrible about the web forum ?

Well, the speed, for one thing. I can download 50-100 messages in seconds. If I try to read the forum through a web browser, I have to wait a second or two for each message.

Chuck mentions some of the other advantages to using a news reader. Basically, web sites were never really intended for handling message forums, and in this case — for those of us who choose to use a newsreader anyway — it’s a matter of "right tool for the job".

Was wondering… This news reader business…is that
where we are getting all these annoying ‘auto quote ‘
functions on the forum ?

What’s annoying to you is useful to another person. I find it annoying to see a message with a one- or two-liner response and absolutely no context. I have no idea what the person is talking about sometimes. Even if you see it in the web interface, if there is more than one reply to the same post, only one person’s reply will "flow" properly.

Pete

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections