TF
Posted By
Tony F Jackson
Aug 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I go to print preview, the preview shows much lighter colours than the image in Photoshop, and prints out lighter. This is only occuring with Photoshop elements. Something is obviously happening when the image is sent for printing but I can’t work out what. My only thought is whether calibrating the monitor may be a cause. Any ideas?
Also can’t get the hang of colour management as it makes the scanned in image much more red, so I then have to correct for this.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy S
Aug 14, 2003
Tony,

It is helpful if you mention what OS you are using and some computer specs, but…for Windows

Are you saying you did or did not use the Gamma Utility in Adobe? It is important to run this utility unless you have a LCD. This will produce a profile through which you view all images in PSE (which is why images viewed in other applications and Preview look different). If you create your profile carefully, it should allow a good match between screen and printer.

Personally, I use the program with Edit>Color Settings>No Color Managment and get excellent monitor to printout matches. The printer driver settings one chooses also greatly effects your results.

Come back if you have another question.

Nancy
NS
Nancy S
Aug 14, 2003
Stephanie,

I guess you have one of the few printers which can print "full bleed", right to the edges of the paper, since you are able to print out the entire 4" dimension on a 4×6 paper, most printers need some room around the edges, like 1/4 inch for paper handling (which is why they make the 4×6 paper which includes a tear off portion added on to this)

You are probably getting 4×5 because that is the aspect ratio of your image. In other words… an image is x number of pixels by x number of pixels and to print out a perfect 4×6 the long side of your image would have to be comprised of 50% more pixels than the shorter.

Go to Edit>Resize>Image Resize and just look to see what the dimensions of your image is in terms of pixels.
TF
Tony F Jackson
Aug 15, 2003
Nancy
thanks for the advice – it’s helped a lot.
Tony
NS
Nancy S
Aug 15, 2003
Tony J,

I am happy to help. Come back to the forum if you have questions or just to browse the posts. In addition to the worthwhile information, the members are very friendly.

Nancy
BB
brent bertram
Aug 15, 2003
Tony,
"Also can’t get the hang of colour management as it makes the scanned in image much more red, so I then have to correct for this. "

This is generally due to not having an accurate scanner profile and then delivering the image into the "color rich" AdobeRGB colorspace. The Epson Twain driver has the capability of delivering a color managed image, but many Twain drivers don’t . Color management is not "turned on" by default, you have to dig a little to get those settings in the Twain driver.

If you have time to read this Ian Lyons’ review of Silverfast, you’ll see what I mean about profiling the scanner, and how to use the profile ( here with Silverfast ) to deliver a quality, color adjusted image to Elements .

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/sfastv6/silverfastv61.htm>

🙂

Brent

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections