RT
Posted By
Roland_T_King
Aug 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I get a magenta caste when printing b&w photographs on my Epson R800. I’ve experimented with endless combinations of settings both in Photoshop (7.0) and the printer driver, all to no avail. Has anyone had the same problem and managed to sort it out?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Jim
Aug 30, 2007
wrote in message
I get a magenta caste when printing b&w photographs on my Epson R800. I’ve experimented with endless combinations of settings both in Photoshop (7.0) and the printer driver, all to no avail. Has anyone had the same problem and managed to sort it out?

You could try reducing the magenta in PS.
You could try reducing the magenta in the printer driver.

Otherwise:
Change to grey scale in PS or disable color in the printer driver.

The problem results from the inability of cyan + magenta + yellow inks (or pigments) resulting in black.

There may be other solutions though.

Jim
SP
Sid_Phillips
Aug 30, 2007
I’ve read on Epson printer group mailing lists that getting good B&W is problematic on the R800 and R1800 because of the inks. There is a good mailing list on B&W printing but I can’t remember if it’s on Yahoo or Google.

Quad Tone RIP is a possible solution. I have read good things about it from end-users. Cost is $50 I believe.
QP
Q_Photo
Aug 30, 2007
I have an R1800. I’m getting "reasonable" results by going to Main > Epson Color management, checking PhotoEnhance, go down to TONE. There is a choice of Sepia, Neutral Gray, Cool Gray and Warm Gray. I use Warm Gray mostly. Under incandescent lighting it has a slight red cast. In open shade lighting it looks like B&W, to me.

Keep in mind that I don’t do "artistic" black and white printing. That being said, I haven’t had complaints from customers about my black & white prints.

Q

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections