RS
Posted By
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK. I attended the Epson Academy meeting in Chicago yesterday – -and I learned several new things.

None of the Epson speakers, however, ever heard about an issue that is my problem:

Blacks are blocking up on my 9800 used with MK. I am printing on Somerset Velvet for Epson.

I am using an Intel MacPro with OS 10.5.6 – and Photoshop CS4. I have a new Epson 9900 on a USB line – and my old 9800 on a Firewire connection.

I posted earlier that my 9800 is now dedicated as an MK printer (I gave my 9600 to an art department).

My new 9900 is designated as the DEFAULT printer – on the MacPro with OS 10.5.6 – and Photoshop CS4.

When I send a print to the 9800 (not designated as the default printer) – it appears to ignore my profiles – and prints huge BLACK areas where there should be detail – and some grays.

I sent the same file to my 9900 – after switching it to MK from PK – and the print was perfect – matched my profiled monitor exactly – and was the same as a previous print done with MK on the 9600.

So – today I am back in the studio and doing some research – and some experiments (putting my science Ph.D to work).

At the suggestion of Epson’s people yesterday, I reloaded the print driver (from Epson) for the 9800.

I then Used Print-Fax (on the Mac – system preferences) to delete the 9800 from my list – and then re-added it (it is on a firewire link).

I made another print – and (drum roll…) it is still filled with Blocked-Up Blacks.

And so, I did the test that I mentioned doing earlier here:

I went back to Print-Fax – and I designated the 9800 as the DEFAULT printer.

I then made another print and (more drum rolls…..) – the print is PERFECT – matches the print from my old 9600 and the new 9900 with MK.

So – the problem is that under OS 10.5.6 – and with an Intel MacPro – and with Photoshop CS4 – the 9800 MUST BE SELECTED AS THE DEFAULT PRINTER.

My next test is to send the same file to my 9900 – with MK – with the 9900 NOT designated as the default (leaving the 9800 in that role).

I want to be able to have both printers working (as in actually printing) at the same time so that I can keep up with Fine Art and canvas jobs.

Will I have to switch the Default-Designated Printer for each job ? What will happen if I de-select the 9800 while it is printing???

Stay tuned.

In my former life, as a professor, I could apply for federal grants to do my research. Maybe I should send a bill to someone for ink, paper, and time.

There is a problem here- but it could be Epson, Apple, or Adobe at this point.

Dick Sjolund

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Mar 15, 2009
None of the Epson speakers, however, ever heard about an issue that is my problem:

You didn’t ask me, did you?

There are indeed issues relating to how well multiple printers play on OS X. We have, for SEVERAL YEARS had one again/off gain issues relating to the "default" printer. It is most certainly an "Apple Issue" but can come and go depending on applications and print drivers.

What most people don’t see, behind the scenes is that the print pipeline on OS X has had a MAJOR change of API’s-most notably implemented in Leopard–that have print drivers and applications scrambling to get the correct behaviors and code for what, at Apple, has been a moving target…the single most screwed up aspect of the OS X print pipeline is actually ColorSync…it gets in the way and causes more problems than you can possibly image…seriously, it’s a real pain in the arse!

As you’ve found out, when things don’t work as expected, you gotta try different things and one of then is indeed specifying different printers as the main default. Sorry you didn’t ask me that question…

:~)
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 15, 2009
Jeff,

My sincere apologies — I asked John Caponigro – who sent me over to Andrew – and we sat and talked right next to you … maybe I needed a few minutes at the end of the meeting for more Qs. and As.

So – now that we know there really IS a problem — how do we fix it???

What will happen if I am sending a job to the 9800 – with MK – designated as my default printer – and then, at the same time – send a job to the 9900 – but now select it as the default printer in the middle of the 9800’s job?

Any chance that OS 10.5.7 will fix this – or do we wait and start-over with 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?

It was a great Epson session in Chicago – you were terrific – and I’m not at all surprised to learn that you knew the answer.

Dick

And – this just in —-

With the 9800 Epson designated as the DEFAULT printer, I sent a job to the 9900 (now no longer the default) – and (even more drum rolls….) the print is perfect.

So – it appears to be an EPSON – APPLE problem specific to the 9800 (in my case).

If you have more than one printer – test the problem by changing the DEFAULT status around in Print-Fax.

And – thanks, again, Jeff.

Dick Sjolund

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections