Prints Darker Than Monitor – Color Mgmt Problem?

EP
Posted By
Ed Perlstein
Jan 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Like many photographers out there who wish to have their inkjet prints match what they see on their monitors, I have been having problems achieving this goal. My new Lacie monitor is very bright (who knows…that might be the problem), and my photographs print darker than I would like. Black & white prints are not as much of a problem, perhaps since it’s not as noticable. However, my color prints are noticably darker.

I have read numerous articles and books on color management, and I have put together a workflow that should provide me with a successful print. I would greatly appreciate it if the color management experts on this forum could read my Color Management Workflow below to see what might be causing this problem. Thanks. Ed

Lacie 319 LCD monitor profiled using the SpyderPro.
Windows XP Color Management tab correctly shows monitor profile.

Photoshop CS2 Print Preview Options:
— Color Management > Document: (Profile: Adobe RGB 1998) — Options:
—- Color Handling: Let Photoshop Determine Colors
—- Printer Profile: Red River UltraPro Gloss ICC profile —- Rendering Intent: Perceptual (also tried Relative Colormetric with no difference)
—- Black Point Compensation checked

Epson 4800 Printer Properties:
— Media Type: Premium Glossy Photo Paper
— Color
— Mode: Custom > Advanced:
—- Print Quality: 2880 dpi (also tried 1440 dpi with no difference) —- High Speed: Off
—- Finest Detail: checked (also tried unchecked with no difference) —- Printer Color Management: Off
—- Microweave: Super (changes with different dpi settings)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 4, 2007
"Ed Perlstein" wrote in message
Like many photographers out there who wish to have their inkjet prints match
what they see on their monitors, I have been having problems achieving this
goal. My new Lacie monitor is very bright (who knows…that might be the problem), and my photographs print darker than I would like. Black & white
prints are not as much of a problem, perhaps since it’s not as noticable. However, my color prints are noticably darker.

I have read numerous articles and books on color management, and I have put
together a workflow that should provide me with a successful print. I would
greatly appreciate it if the color management experts on this forum could read my Color Management Workflow below to see what might be causing this problem. Thanks. Ed

—- Printer Profile: Red River UltraPro Gloss ICC profile —- Rendering Intent: Perceptual (also tried Relative Colormetric with no difference)

— Color
—- Print Quality: 2880 dpi (also tried 1440 dpi with no difference) —- High Speed: Off
—- Finest Detail: checked (also tried unchecked with no difference) —- Printer Color Management: Off

Although not recommended by Red River, try experimenting with different paper types. Plain paper will give the lightest image, and PGPP will give the darkest, since that paper uses less ink than the others. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
K
KatWoman
Jan 4, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
"Ed Perlstein" wrote in message
Like many photographers out there who wish to have their inkjet prints match
what they see on their monitors, I have been having problems achieving this
goal. My new Lacie monitor is very bright (who knows…that might be the problem), and my photographs print darker than I would like. Black & white
prints are not as much of a problem, perhaps since it’s not as noticable. However, my color prints are noticably darker.

I have read numerous articles and books on color management, and I have put
together a workflow that should provide me with a successful print. I would
greatly appreciate it if the color management experts on this forum could read my Color Management Workflow below to see what might be causing this problem. Thanks. Ed

—- Printer Profile: Red River UltraPro Gloss ICC profile —- Rendering Intent: Perceptual (also tried Relative Colormetric with no
difference)

— Color

Although not recommended by Red River, try experimenting with different paper types. Plain paper will give the lightest image, and PGPP will give the darkest, since that paper uses less ink than the others. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

If I were you I would shut off PS management and let the Epson drivers do the conversion
the Epson drivers are quite good at translating what’s on screen from Win XP (heresy, I know)
from experience and huge amounts of wasted paper and ink, I think PS does a piss poor job of printing what’s on screen.
It has way too many options to even test properly unless you have weeks to mess about…the paper profile is one I never heard of either, you may like Epson profiles better, sometimes that is all that’s wrong…maybe try the Epson paper profile for a similar texture paper…
another suggestion is to change the gamma settings, in the color settings in PS (black point compensation?)
or in the Epson driver. This affects brightness and not the colors

Even the default settings in Epson are better than anything from PS.

my opinion only……………….and this is not my area of expertise

good luck
took me about a week to get mine "right"
now I don’t dare change it…….
EP
Ed Perlstein
Jan 5, 2007
Thanks for your suggestions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections