Help! Strange Printing Problem (over-saturation)

RL
Posted By
Roger_Loeb
Aug 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Background: PS/CS, WinXP, Epson 1280 (profiled), new PC (3ghz, 2megs).

On my new PC, when I print from PS (Print Preview, set profile, perceptual, set printer parameters, etc.) I get a badly over-saturated print. (Even the Epson printer driver preview image is over-saturated.)

If I print exactly the same image file from another application, e.g., Qimage, the print looks exactly like the displayed image (and the preview in the Epson driver is, as usual, under-saturated).

This is driving me nuts (or nuttier), and I’ve run out of options to tweak. Suggestions would be appreciated… (I’ve pondered re-installing PS, but the "activation" thing scares me.)

Rog

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
barry_gray
Aug 21, 2004
Recalibrate your monitor first.
RL
Roger_Loeb
Aug 22, 2004
Thank you. Been there, done that. Monitor is carefully calibrated. And, I get the edited image when I print with Qimage or Monaco Colorworks. I just don’t get it when I print with PS…

Rog
RL
Roger_Loeb
Aug 22, 2004
More info:

I installed PS/CS on another machine (my laptop), then loaded the same image I’ve been having trouble with and printed it on the same printer, with the same settings and the same profile, and it came out correctly. In other words, the problem only occurs with a specific instance of PS on a particular machine. I’m at a loss as to what to do next and could certainly use some assistance…

Rog
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 22, 2004
calibration of either the monitor or printer on the problem machine is off.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 22, 2004
<nodding>
RL
Roger_Loeb
Aug 22, 2004
calibration of either the monitor or printer on the problem machine
is off.

Ummm, so then why does it print correctly from Qimage or Monaco Colorworks on the same machine. That’s what’s bothering me. If I save the image as a TIFF, then load it into any other program and print it, the result is fine. If I print exactly the same file from PS, using exactly the same settings, then I get an seriously over-saturated print.

And, just in case, I had someone else print it (on the same machine), both ways, and they got the same results. It’s definitely something screwed up in PS. Seems like it’s applying the printer profile twice.

Rog
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 22, 2004

1) Is the epson driver set to "no color adjustment" ?
2) Is your source space AdobeRGB, or another non-device specific RGB space ?

If the behavior is still strange, then I’d trash the Photoshop Prefs file, and build a new one. Perhaps then, you’ll get your printing back.

:-~

Brent
RL
Roger_Loeb
Aug 23, 2004
Brent,

Thank you. You knew the secret handshake — delete the prefs file and start over. That did the trick! I very much appreciate your assistance.

Rog
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 23, 2004
That Prefs file is a marvelous thing !

🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections