V
Posted By
vhawes
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Costco only prints 8×12 size instead of 8×10 and then I lose 1 inch top and bottom from my photo. How do I change size prior to taking my CD in to have photos printed?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron Gale
Aug 24, 2004
I extend my canvas by 2" so that they have a 8×12 image to print, with a white border across one end… then I trim the print at home.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 24, 2004
What Byron said.

What’s the deal with the 8 X 12s anyway? I find most frames are still the more standard 8 X 10.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 24, 2004
What’s the deal with the 8 X 12s anyway?

Full frame from 35mm film, exact aspect ratio, no cropping; has become increasingly popular over the last decade or so.

And same for *some* digital cameras, but not too many now (my Kodak 4800 shoots this ratio, some digicams have choice of more than one ratio, including this 3:2 of 35mm).

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 24, 2004
Thank you, Mac. 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 25, 2004
Thank you, Mac. 🙂

Glad it ‘splained it for ya….
All this 4×5, 5×7, 8×10, 11×14 paper size stuff got standardized long BEFORE 35mm became the most widely used film format.

Mac
V
vhawes
Aug 28, 2004
Byron: Thanks for the answer, can you be more specific I’m new at this. How do I extend the canvas to get the white border? Thanks!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 28, 2004
I’m not Byron 🙂 but to extend your canvas and get a white border:

Set your colours to the default Black & White (Just press D to do that) Then do Image>Adjustments>Canvas Size and add on the extra size for your white border.

Wendy
V
vhawes
Aug 30, 2004
Thanks Wendy. That is what I thought I had to do, problem is when I go into Canvas Size I get confused because the size says 18.139" width x 13.083" high so if I add on 2 more inches it really isn’t (or is it?) Why does it give me these odd sizes? My camera is a Sony Cybershot P71. Thanks.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 31, 2004
vhawes,

You could go to Image>Resize Image. Make sure Resample is UNchecked (you want to use original pixels), do have the Constrain checked to preserve aspect ratio of image. Change only ONE value in that dialog box until you get to desired size or close to it. Depending on aspect ratio of image, a slight crop may be needed on one dimension to adhere to your desired output size. If you wanted to add a little border, you might want to resize to the final output size minus the border width, such as 7 inches x 9 inches for an 8 x 10 (allowing for a 1/2 inch border). Resolution and printed size are inversely proportional. Remember not to leave the resolution value with a decimal, round off in either direction. Now enlarge the canvas to accommodate the border and image.

edit–you will want to watch that your resolution falls between 200-300ppi when finished resizing or your prints will be poor.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 31, 2004
vhawes,

Sorry for the delay in responding… here’s how I do it.

Once I’m completely finished with my 8×10 image, I go into Image > Resize > Canvas Size…

I make sure that the Relative option is checked, then enter 2 in Height, and select Inches as the units.

In the Anchor selection, I click the top-center box, then click OK.

This now gives me a 8×12 image, which consists of my 8×10 with a 2" blank border across one end. If the color of the blank area is not white, I add a white fill layer appropriately low in the layer stack.

Then I flatten and save a copy to take to Costco for printing. When I get it back, I trim off the 2" white end at home.

HTH,

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections