JO
Posted By
John_Ogden
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I work the helpdesk for a government agency and I have a user that is getting a particular error whenever he opens a PDF Document he is receiving an error that says "Some Text Layers contain fonts that are missing. These Layers will need to be updated to have the missing fonts replaced before they can be used for Vector Based Output". It then gives the option to update now, which he has done, and saved the document. However this messagae keeps coming up anytime he has opened the document. After all of this has been done the user is getting an error concerning saving the file in .jpg format and will not allow him to do so.
I used the support document 3193333 out of the Support KnowledgeBase and tried some of the fixes there except for the Windows based fixes. The only problem with these fixes was that the user did not actually use Illustrator in any step creating the problem documents. I also tried adding the Adobe Type manager, rasterizing the document and reinstalling Photoshop as well. Rasterizing the document got rid of all the messages, but then he wasn’t able to edit the text as he wanted to. The Type repair droplet also seemed to have solved the issue of saving the file as a .jpg file, but the update error message was still coming up even opening the file that way.
I went so far as to create a new document with the same amount of layers and the same font and had no problems with anything leading me to believe that it is a corrupt document.
I would love for someone to give insight into how I could go about fixing this issue. Thank you for your help in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
CygnusX1
Mar 2, 2004
It seems that the fonts in the document are not on the system or activated in any font management utility (if you have one installed).
Make sure the fonts used in he document are actually installed in the Mac Hard drive>Library> Font folder or activated in the font utility software.

Once you rasterize it, that stops the font from being editable because it no longer is a "font" (vector) but now part of the bitmaped image(pixels).

As for saving it to a .jpg, make sure the image has been flattened and that will allow you to save as a .jpg

If you plan on sharing these files with a Windows user, make sure all the file extensions are appended (.jpg, .tif, .pdf )
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 2, 2004
Sounds like the fonts were not embedded in the original PDF or it is corrupted. But why are you posting in Photoshop/Mac? Was this PDF created in Photoshop? If you rasterize type, it becomes a graphic and you can no longer edit it as type. It must remain as vectors. But that requires having the required fonts installed — which brings us back to where we started.

Neil
J
JasonSmith
Mar 2, 2004
If it’s a layered Photoshop PDF, then PS can re-open the file without rasterizing.

Assuming that it IS a layered Photoshop PDF, then it’s as simple as activating the proper fonts and updating..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections