MM
Posted By
Melissa McGrath
Aug 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how I can cut out a part of a picture (for example, the people in a picture with a background), but keep it in the same picture so that I can blur the background or add other pictures to the original picture? I’d also like to be able to take that cut out part of the picture and move it to another picture. Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

A
AK
Aug 8, 2003
If I understand what you wish to do, one way to do it is to carefully select around the area (people) you wish to save, and then you have a couple of choices. One is then to use the cut function, and then paste that into the new picture with the new background you want, or create a new layer with just the selcted area, blur or change the original layer, and then merge them together.

"Melissa McGrath" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I can cut out a part of a picture (for example, the
people in a picture with a background), but keep it in the same picture so that I can blur the background or add other pictures to the original picture? I’d also like to be able to take that cut out part of the picture and move it to another picture. Thank you.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 8, 2003
Melissa,
Tell us a little about your familiarity with the tools in PE so that we may craft a response appropriate to your request. For example, are you familiar with the selection tools, layers, etc.?
Ken
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Melissa,

These are the general steps I would take to approach the task:

– roughly lasso the general area you wish to keep.

– zoom into the selection

– with the selection brush in mask mode, finish fine-tuning the selection (the pink overlaid area is NOT selected)

– Layer->New->Layer via Copy puts just the selected part onto a new layer. You can use this to put new backgrounds, or as a selection template for your other image, as you proceed.

I have no doubt that, in not too much longer, someone else (with oodles more experience than I) will be along with additional help.

Elements has a huge variety of tools, which can be used in (seemingly) limitless order to accomplish the same task in many ways.

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections