LV
Posted By
Laslo_Varadi
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to cut a part of a picture out and paste it in an empty window. I have highlighted with a lasso but do not know who to create a new layer with only that part of the picture showing

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 19, 2004
wrote:
I would like to cut a part of a picture out and paste it in an empty window. I have highlighted with a lasso but do not know who to create a new layer with only that part of the picture showing

Laslo,

With the lassoed selection on your screen, go to Edit>Copy click on that then go to File>New from Clipboard and you will have your lassoed selection in a new image. The new image will be sized to meet the needs of what you selected and will be on a transparent background.

Dick
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jul 19, 2004
Hi, Lasio

I’m not certain if you wish to paste it into another layer on the same picture or if you want to capture it to use in another picture.

If you want it on a new layer in the same picture, do your selection with the lasso, when the dots are moving and you know it’s selected, merely do Ctrl-C. This copies it to the clipboard.

To put it into another layer on the same picture, just do CTRL-V on the picture and it will go onto another layer. Or you can choose New layer at the bottom of your layer pallet and click in it and do the Ctrl-V.

Now, if you want to use your copy in a new picture. After you’ve selected it and copied it (with Ctrl-V or Edit/Copy) go to FILE. You’ll see an entry for NEW FROM CLIPBOARD. Click on that and you’ll find your picture in a new setting and can save it or do what you wish with it.

Sure hope this helps,

Lorace
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jul 19, 2004
Dick,

Sorry about that. I think we were typing at the same time as there were no replies when I read the original message.

LOL

Lorace
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 19, 2004
Lorace,

Luck of the internet! And your reply was much more thorough than mine.

Dick.
LV
Laslo_Varadi
Jul 19, 2004
I have the immage withe part of it lassoed. When I try edit, copy, I get error message that says "could not complete copty command because no pixels were selected".
BP
Basil_Pap
Jul 19, 2004
Laslo,
you are on a different layer than the one you are trying to copy from. Probably you have already created the layer you need through cut and paste as per previous messages. Choose Layers from the palette well and check out what you have by setting on and off layer visibility (clicking on the eye).
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jul 19, 2004
Laslo, As Basil told you, you’re probably on the wrong layer, we’ve all done that at one time or another.

Make sure you pull your layer pallet out of the well and leave it open so you can see where you are. When you want to select something, first make sure that you’ve clicked on the layer that has the original picture on it so it’s the active layer.

Then, make your selection and proceed. Be sure that the picture is a layer and not the background. Double click it and give it a name if you haven’t.

It takes a while to get used to the program.

Lorace

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections