C
Posted By
CrazyCanuck
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could someone please tell me how to or where to go to show me how to cut a heart shape out of a photo with ps7

TIA

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PB
Paul Burdett
Jan 18, 2004
That’s a good question…wanted to know this myself. Found this tutorial on the web:
http://www.pegaweb.com/_forum3/00000151.htm good luck,
Paul

"CrazyCanuck" <@> wrote in message
Could someone please tell me how to or where to go to show me how to cut a heart shape out of a photo with ps7

TIA
PB
Paul Burdett
Jan 18, 2004
"Paul Burdett" wrote in message
That’s a good question…wanted to know this myself. Found this tutorial
on
the web:
Paul

P.S. Just tried this, but the shape is a solid colour….not sure if this is what you were aiming for? I’d like to have the image containes in a heart shape..like a frame I guess.

TIA

BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 18, 2004
Paul Burdett wrote:

"Paul Burdett" wrote in message
That’s a good question…wanted to know this myself. Found this tutorial
on
the web:
Paul

P.S. Just tried this, but the shape is a solid colour….not sure if this is what you were aiming for? I’d like to have the image containes in a heart shape..like a frame I guess.

TIA

Use the solid color as a mask. Check the manual.

Branko Vukelic ()
J
jrzyguy
Jan 18, 2004
as always…there really is not right or wrong way to do this…there are a couple of appoaches.

If you are familiar with the pen tool….you can draw your heart shape with that…then right click on your shape…choose make selection. then cntr/shift/"I" (or select inverse selectoin). and delete (you might want to choose some featureing first to give s soft edge.

OR you could create your heart in Illustrator and copy and paste that in as a shape…then follow the same steps.

Or you could create your heart in corel draw…export it to illustrator and then bring it in to PS.

OR…if you dont like drawing your heart…..you can always find some clip art heart (vector)…bring that into illustrator and then into photoshop….and follow the same steps.

OR…if you dont have illustrator then you can copy your heart from whatever source….and then use the pen tool to trace it…or use whatever selection tool you would like to select the heart shape….save that selection…delete the heart layer…and put your selection onto the layer with your photo…etc..

hope that helps rather than confuse you

jj

TIA
DT
Deco_time
Jan 18, 2004
CrazyCanuck wrote:

TIA

Use the custom shape tool. Choose the heart shape, draw it to size. Go to the path palett, right click your shape and choose "make selection…", set the option to your liking, click OK. Delete the custom shape (you don’t need it anymore at this point), make sure the layer you want to cut from is active and press shift+ctrl+j. Done.
C
CrazyCanuck
Jan 18, 2004
I found that one earlier too but I get a filled in heart that just covers the picture.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:45:45 +1000, "Paul Burdett" wrote:

That’s a good question…wanted to know this myself. Found this tutorial on the web:
Paul

TIA
PB
Paul Burdett
Jan 18, 2004
Thanks to all for the tutorials
Paul

"Deco_time" wrote in message
CrazyCanuck wrote:

TIA

Use the custom shape tool. Choose the heart shape, draw it to size. Go to the path palett, right click your shape and choose "make selection…",
set
the option to your liking, click OK. Delete the custom shape (you don’t
need
it anymore at this point), make sure the layer you want to cut from is active and press shift??. Done.

PB
Paul Burdett
Jan 19, 2004
Hi…I was sent this tutorial by "lindaminor" via email. I tried itbut couldn’t get the 3 layers she talked about. I’ve emailed her regarding this…maybe you’ll have better luck!
Cheers,
Paul

hello, crazy and paul-
i found your graphics-chat posting doing a search for something
else.
since i’m not set up for usenet, actually not sure how to do it, i
thought
i’d email instructions for doing the heart thing. here goes:
1. with your original photo open in photoshop, duplicate the
background
(pull down to the new layer icon). turn off the original
background
(eyeball) so you can see what’s happening next.
2. using the shape tool (midway down on the right side of the
toolbox),
and in the custom shapes palette (accessed from the options bar),
choose a
heart shape. pull out in your image to make it as big as you want.
use the
move tool to place where you want if it isn’t.
3. in the layers palette, pull the heart shaped layer under the
background
copy, which will make the heart disappear temporarily (because the background copy is on top of it). so at this point you have in the
layers
palette, from top down: background copy, shape layer, real
background.
4. now clip the background copy to the shape layer by doing this:
with
your alt key down (or option key on a mac), put your mouse on the
dividing
line in the layers palette between the background copy layer and
the shape
layer. the mouse icon will change from an arrow to a double
circle. when
you see that double circle, click. this clips the layers together,
with
the shape layer essentially providing a heart shaped mask on the background copy above. the gray and white squares are
transparency,
meaning if you printed the image at this point, the empty area
around the
heart would be the color of the paper.
5. if the heart still isn’t in the proper location, you can still
move it
by going to the move tool, making sure the heart layer is active.
if you want to make some kind of border around the heart, click
back on
the heart layer to activate, and then control-click (command-click
on mac)
to make a selection in the shape of the heart. then give yourself
a new
layer on top of everything and make a stroke (edit menu) border,
or
whatever fanciness you want. if you want to fill the non-heart
area with a
pattern, inverse the selection, and then fill with whatever. or
you can
fill an entire layer with a pattern, or maybe the entire image
blurred
out, or texturized with canvas and faded (opacity), then put it
under the
heart group, and you’ll have a coordinating but different
background for
the heart.

TIA
G
gm
Jan 19, 2004
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:25:37 -0500, "Deco_time" wrote:

CrazyCanuck wrote:

TIA

Use the custom shape tool. Choose the heart shape, draw it to size. Go to the path palett, right click your shape and choose "make selection…", set the option to your liking, click OK. Delete the custom shape (you don’t need it anymore at this point), make sure the layer you want to cut from is active and press shift+ctrl+j. Done.
This was created using the custom shape tool
http://www.pbase.com/image/25027598
CM
Charles Marinaro
Jan 25, 2004
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title>
</head>
<body text="#339999" bgcolor="#ffffff"> CrazyCanuck wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite"
cite="">
<pre wrap="">Could someone please tell me how to or where to go to show me how to cut a heart shape out of a photo with ps7

TIA————————\
</pre>
</blockquote>
Just use the magic wand tool.&nbsp; Set your tolerance to about 32 to start and contiguous on the option bar.&nbsp; You may also want to go to quick mask mode after to see what you need to clean up.&nbsp; Press "q" and it’ll take you there.&nbsp; You can then fix up the red mask as you need to.&nbsp; Press q again when done and it’ll turn into your selection again.&nbsp; Hit control &amp; x key and you’ve cut it out.&nbsp; Then open up a new document, call it heart, and hit control &amp; v key and in it goes.&nbsp; <br> Charlie Bones<br>
</body>
</html>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections