Re: How do I cutout part of layer to reveal transparent background?

C
Posted By
covertuser
Jun 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bobocito …
On 23 Jun 2003 22:01:12 -0700, (Pat W.) wrote:
[Top post corrected]

Bobocito …
On 22 Jun 2003 21:35:36 -0700, (Pat W.) wrote:

I am trying to create a logo. I want to cut out just the letters to reveal the transparent background behind them so that I can replace the cutout letters with an image. Thanks in advance!

Make the type layer, using a fat font, and arrange the layers so the type layer is under the fill image layer, and alt-click the line between the layers. That is all.
It will make a clipping group. The type will remain editable and the fill image can be moved around if you don’t like the position. You can also use the type selection tool, which is the dotted outline T, and make selections in the shape of type.
Make a type selection over the active fill image layer, invert selection, and delete.
Or type the selection, then ctrl+j to put the filled letters on their own layer, and then hide the fill image layer.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, I don’t completely understand your directions. I am using PhotoShop 6. I create a white background. Then I use the Type tool, and create the text. Then when I select the text and go to any of the menus, nothing is available.
You select the type with the type cursor, to edit the type, ie. change size or font or spelling; select the type *layer* in the layers pallette.
While the type is selected, the menus are grayed out. Sound like what’s going on?
After typing or editing, you click either the "check mark" or the X. These either ok or abort the type or edit. Have you done that and then try applying the clipping group?

I figured out by using clipping. Thanks for your help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections