M
Posted By
Murphie
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I often have to deal with photos that were lit from one side and hence are way too dark on one side and way too light on the other. A gradient seems like the right idea, but adding a color doesn’t always work–unless I’m missing something, which is quite possible. I keep wishing I could do a gradient with only lightness to darkness.

Can anyone help me or give me any other ideas for dealing with badly lit originals?

Thank you!
Murphie

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
There are many different ways of doing it.

You can use Curves; you can add a Levels or Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer and mask it as needed; you can use a filter like SHO in Photoshop 7, or the new shadow/highlights adjustment in Photoshop 8.
P
povimage
Feb 25, 2004
Or you can make sure you use photographers who actually understand lighting..

Keith
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 25, 2004
Make an adjustment curve (layers>adjustment layer>curves) to correct either the shadow or the highlight then select it in the layers palette you’ll see it has a layer mask make that active now take the gradient tool adjust your gradient the way you want and in the document window apply your gradient with the gradient tool.

You can also get excellent results with PS CS’s Image>Adjustments>Shadow and Highlights.

Or a combination of the two.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 25, 2004
I have to say the new Shadows/Highlights filter does wonders.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 26, 2004
Jason beat me to it (as usual). This really is what the new filter excels at.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2004
If the S/H filter doesn’t get you all the way there; try using different curves to correct part of the image. Then make History Snapshots of each variation and use the History Brush to paint in the corrections to specific parts of the image.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 26, 2004
I mentioned Shadow and Highlights which what I go to first but he does not mention which version of Photoshop he has so he might not understand.
M
Murphie
Feb 26, 2004
Wow, thanks to all! You’re right, I’m still using PS 7. I do hope to upgrade soon, and this is another reason to make it sooner. I’ll try all the suggestions, though.

I wish I could choose which photographers’ stuff I get to fix….:)or at least which equipment they use.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 26, 2004
There is no automated way to correct this problem effectively.

As Ann suggested it is a strictly manual process.

If you can envision the signature of the light fall off that was involved in the original shoot, you can fashion a gradient mask that conforms to the contours of this signature. Like what a uniform light gray card would look like photographed in the exact same lighting setup.

So you mess with blurring and gradients in an alpha channel ’til you think you have the right contour, then you load that as a selection and use curves or levels or brightness-contrast within that selection to even things up. Or convert that selection to a layer mask to be used in an adjustment layer for less-destructive editing.

It’s not rocket-science so you don’t have to be totally precise.

Even if you come close to the light fall off contour, you should be satisfied with the results.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections