N
Posted By
Nikko
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a few scanned photos that ended up askew/crooked. What’s the best way to about fixing that (i.e. rotating the image slightly so it’s not crooked)? I’m using Photoshop 6.0

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
Grebo
Jun 23, 2004
Select>select all, then Edit>Free transform>Rotate. and rotate the image the degree you want.
"Nikko" wrote in message
I have a few scanned photos that ended up askew/crooked. What’s the best way to about fixing that (i.e. rotating the image slightly so it’s not crooked)? I’m using Photoshop 6.0

Thanks for your help.

O
oneofmany
Jun 23, 2004
In article <3InCc.15488$>,
"Nikko" wrote:

Touch the ‘measure’ tool and select the little ‘ruler’. Use it to draw across the horizon or whatever is supposed to be the level. Then rotate the canvas using the arbitrary option. Just hit return. Crop and you are done.
E
edjh
Jun 24, 2004
Nikko wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Use the Measure Tool (the little ruler. I think it’s "behind" the Eyedropper in 6) Pull a line along an edge that you want to be true. Then go to Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary. The correct angle will already be entered. Just hit OK and it will happen.

By the way, you can do this with individual layers too. Go to Edit>Transform>Rotate and the angle will appear in the Angle slot in the Options Bar. You may have to change from + to_ or vice versa though.

You can also straighten scans with the Crop tool. Pull out a Crop bounding box and align it with an edge in the image you want to be true and hit Enter. Make sure you don’t have any number in the Resolution field when you do this.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
S
SpamBot3000
Jun 24, 2004
-write a tell-all book

-make the rounds on the talk shows, always taking care to appear contrite

-align yourself with Jesus
D
Drifter
Jun 24, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:50:12 +0100, "Canongirly" wrote:

Select>select all, then Edit>Free transform>Rotate. and rotate the image the degree you want.
"Nikko" wrote in message

Thanks for your help.

Or even better, select the measure tool (in the same selection as the eyedropper tool) and draw a line along something that is crooked that you want to be level THEN do Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary and the degrees to straighten the image will already be there so you just hit Okay.

Drifter
"I’ve been here, I’ve been there…"
RP
Richard Pattle
Jun 24, 2004
"SpamBot3000" wrote in message
-write a tell-all book

-make the rounds on the talk shows, always taking care to appear contrite
-align yourself with Jesus
ROTFL!
D
Demolisher
Jun 24, 2004
The best way?

A non rectangular crop!

"Nikko" wrote in message

Thanks for your help.

CJ
Carol J
Jun 24, 2004
in article 3InCc.15488$, Nikko at
wrote on 06/23/2004 3:43 PM:

Thanks for your help.

Rescan them.
D
dplank
Jun 24, 2004
Use the ruler tool to measure along part of the image that should be horizontal or vertical.

Use Image>Rotate Canvas and select Arbitrary. The degress that shows in the dialog box will be the same angle that you measured.

Click OK and the image should rotate. You will probably need to recrop.

dp

Carol J wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Rescan them.

PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jun 24, 2004
"Carol J" <**.com> wrote in message
news:BD004E72.10D856%**.com…

I have a few scanned photos that ended up askew/crooked. What’s the
best
way to about fixing that (i.e. rotating the image slightly so it’s not crooked)? I’m using Photoshop 6.0

Thanks for your help.

Rescan them.

Not a recommended -and timeconsuming- option if you ask me. Even more so, since the scanning lines of the scanner often (nearly) perfectly align the straight lines in (especially architecture) photos, I make sure they _never_ are straight on the scanner, thus preventing nasty interference and moir
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 24, 2004
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:50:44 +0200, "Pjotr Wedersteers" found these unused words floating about:

"Carol J" <**.com> wrote in message
news:BD004E72.10D856%**.com…

I have a few scanned photos that ended up askew/crooked. What’s the
best
way to about fixing that (i.e. rotating the image slightly so it’s not crooked)? I’m using Photoshop 6.0

Thanks for your help.

Rescan them.

Not a recommended -and timeconsuming- option if you ask me. Even more so, since the scanning lines of the scanner often (nearly) perfectly align the straight lines in (especially architecture) photos, I make sure they _never_ are straight on the scanner, thus preventing nasty interference and moiré-like patterns emerging. The suggested Measure Tool solution probably provides the quickest results. Alternatively, when relatively short lines are involved, I sometimes manually add a guide first close to the desired horizontal or vertical and drag a free transform corner until I think the two are parallel.

Pjotr
Pairs of guide lines (L & R) are great aids when using the perspective transform as well!
R
Roberto
Jun 25, 2004
Use the measure tool and align it with something in the image that’s supposed to be horisontal or vertical. Then go to Image->Rotate Canvas->Arbitrary and click OK without modifying the value in the box.

"Nikko" wrote in message

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections