How to correctly import Kodak PhotoCD pics ?

C
Posted By
Chris1516
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

for the very first time someone gave me .pcd files.
Just to make sure I don’t screw up something at the very beginning I wonder which profile to use in the import dialog.
Is it OK to later convert the it to my usual ProPhoto profile to save it as .tif or .psd ?

Thanks in advance,
chris

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Feb 6, 2007
You don’t mention what version of PS you are using. (Edit: older version didn’t suport eh PCD format and needed a plugin, I have no clue if CS 1, 2 or 3 still support it)

Basically, you have to navigate to the correct folder (something like PHOTOCD/IMAGES/

Where you will find files with a PCD extension (IMG0001.PCD)

Open a file, you should be prompted to choose a resolution and other options. IIRC, You may be able to choose a estination profile at this point

Finally, you need to apply a serious unsharp mask to the image.

(this is from memory, so it may be a bit off)

Is it OK to later convert the it to my usual ProPhoto profile to save it as .tif or .psd ?

Absolutely, IIRC, PCDs did not have actual profiles, they just used a gamma curve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections