G
Posted By
guybc
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes when cropping an image, the dotted lines fail to keep up with the mouse, but lag behind so that the required rectangle cannot be achieved. Have tried reloading the program and rebooting. Can anyone help?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
Two ideas, neither guaranteed!

First, try resetting the tools. With your Crop Tool selected, to to the Options Bar. At the far left will be the icon for that tool. Click and hold, and you will see options to either Reset that tool or Reset All Tools. Try this one first to see if it works.

Second, delete the Elements Preference folder, in case a corruption is causing the problem. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then quickly grab for (Win) the Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you see a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes.

Try one or both of these to see if the Crop tool again starts behaving properly. If not, repost and let us know you’ve already tried. Somebody will come up with another bright idea. 🙂
G
guybc
Jul 30, 2003
Thankyou,Beth, resetting the tool fixed the problem.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
Yippee! I got one today! 🙂 Keep both of those things in mind. Corruption isn’t particularly uncommon when using Elements, and either one or the other of my suggestions fixes many problems that crop up after you’ve been using the program for a while.
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 30, 2003
Beth, what am I doing wrong?

I’m using Elements for 7 months now
rather intensively (about 5 hours daily)and I didnot have any reason to reset the preferences at all.

I think I’m as entitled to this as anybody else. I paid the full price, no rebates or refundings etc.

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 30, 2003
Leen, sorry to say, but the Dutch version does not come equipped with the need to reset preferences…

🙂

Chuck
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
I’ve never figured out exactly why that folder will become corrupted. I had tons of trouble when I was using PSE 1, but I think I’ve only had to do it once on PSE 2. The only thing I was relating it to at one time was very repetitive tasking, but I don’t know if that really caused the corruption or if it was just coincidence.

Don’t feel bad, Leen, we’ll let you keep hanging around anyway! Maybe someday you can have your turn. 🙂
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 30, 2003
Being lucky isn’t enough I suppose.
I’ve both PSE 1, PSE 2 and LE installed, so I just sit and wait till opportunity knocks. ;-))

Leen
J
jhbrooks
Aug 8, 2003
Gary, please review additional comments too. I’m not sure if my thinking is 100% here.

If you are downloading images from the web, who knows what you are getting for dimensions? After all, the pictures are likely cropped by someone else already.

Anyway, don’t use the Crop tool. (It’s name is deceiving when you are specifying images sizes. It really should be called Crop/Resize because it will resample your image to the size you indicate in the "width / height" fields. Not good–especially if you’re doing a heavy crop).

That said, I would press M for the marquee tool (rectangle), set Style to Fixed Aspect Ratio, and then enter your paper dimensions there, say 4 x 6. Now outline what you want and move it around (click-drag in the box) and finally press Image | Crop. Now you have a correctly formatted image for printing.

Will it look good? That depends… you need the resolution for a nice looking print. Anyway, my advise is stay away from the crop tool for unless you *need* to resize/resample.

jb

"Gary" wrote in message
When I download photos and crop them, it changes the size so that if i
bring
in a CDrom of the photo to have printed, it doesn’t print to the proper dimensions.

How do I adjust this?
Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections