TS
Posted By
troy_shelby
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After upgrading from 5.0 to CS, when I print images with a white or transparent background, my printer prints a light grey as the background.

Any ideas why?

Printer: HP 7130xi
Version: CS
Computer: P4 2.53GHZ, 1MB RAM

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 15, 2004
Troy,
First thing I’d do is re-run the Adobe Gamma Utility to get a current monitor profile, and see if that solves the problem.
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

🙂

Brent
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 15, 2004
how?

thanks
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 15, 2004
Troy,
The link above is a tutorial on running the Adobe Gamma utility . Might as well dwell on Ian’s tutorial on printing also, < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm> .

🙂

Brent
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 16, 2004
Thank you

However I still can not find the gamma utility. t he web site says "Adobe Gamma is a "Control Panel" utility that is accessed from the "My Computer > Control Panel"."

There is nothing in the control panel (classic view or the new one) that has this listed.

Should I just uninstall/reinstall??

Thanks
L
LenHewitt
Jul 16, 2004
Troy,

You need to be logged on with Administrator permissions
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 16, 2004
I am. 🙁
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 16, 2004
Try an Explorer search of *.cpl –load from that location–Are you using another Color Management system like Monaco-it occasionally will delete the Gamma .exe, but you still should have the .cpl
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 16, 2004
I was able to find it through search, thanks. However, that did not solve the problem. I printed an image with a white background and also a tranparent gif, and the background still prints a grey color. 🙁
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 16, 2004
Are you setting up your print job through File > Print Preview ? If you’re not , you may have some squirelly color management settings . The HP requires you send it sRGB data for accurate color . You should convert to that before printing, if you’re not working in that space. I think ( considering the HP driver ) that I’d start by using "Same as Source" as the output space profile. If not that, then "Printer Color management".

🙂

Brent
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 16, 2004
Print with preview:

Color Management
Proof Set Up
Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Intent: Absolute Colorimetric
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 16, 2004
Try "Document" instead of proof set up .
Profile: Printer color management or Profile: Same as Source

Hopefully the document source is sRGB.
( Trying here to submit an sRGB image to the HP driver without any further color processing ).

🙂

Brent

[edit]

Here is the link for troubleshooting the HP problems, < http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us& amp;docname=bpu03037&product=91469&dlc=en&lang=e n> . Your printer is one of the all-in-one units and I frankly don’t know what to expect from it. For serious color management control, you should probably buy an inexpensive Epson Photo Printer ( like the R300) and see the control that the driver gives you. If your printer was working well in Photoshop 5, though, you should be able to find some settings that will work in CS.

😕
TS
troy_shelby
Jul 16, 2004
I Changed it to ‘same as source’ and I also went into edit:color settings: and selected ‘web graphic defaults’ (cause thats what I do), and…

IT WORKED!

white backgrounds and transparent bacgrounds no longer print a color!

Thanks to all for your input!

Troy
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 16, 2004
Joy !

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections