D
Posted By
dhoganjr
Jul 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Elements for a little more than 2 years now, both 1 and 2, and have been reading this forum just as long. I have learned so much from you people it’s incredible. Everybody seems so friendly and helpful and rarely seems to get frustrated with newbees. On the other hand, I have occassionally visited the Photoshop forum and have noticed a totally different tone there. They seem to be very impatient with new or repeat questions, even getting upset with posters. I would be very intimidated posting there if I used Photoshop, very comfortable here though. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Ray, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, I guess….but I haven’t visited there myself in many weeks. Chuck
K
knielsen
Jul 23, 2003
Hi, I am a regular poster on the Photoshop Forum, and I remember all of the posts from the past several years. There are two sides to the Photoshop forum, one is for Mac and one is for Windows. You will find the more intense artists and professionals on the Mac side, where I hang out. There is little tolerance for those who come on as newbies and purport to ‘know it all’ – they get chewed up handily. But for honest regular folks, like you and me, we are the friendly bunch who enjoy the craft and art and the privilege of being employed to run the best software on earth – Photoshop.

I got Elements on a disk with a Wacom tablet I bought for home use and I am very impressed with the program. It is a little Photoshop. This is nice because if you ever want to step up to Photoshop, you will be prepared in many areas of how the tools work and how the program operates.

Best wishes to all here,

Ken
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
One of the differences is our reaction to seeing a posting by a ‘newbie’. Here, we see it as an opportunity to help someone solve their current dilemma, learn to enjoy the program, and, hopefully, become a contributor to the forum and even the Challenge. In other places, the reaction may be a bit less constructive…

🙂

Chuck
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
You want to get an example of what I’m saying? Read this. A guy posted a Photoshop 7 question on the Photoshop Album forum. I kindly instructed him to post his question on the Photoshop Forum. Jim Lutte (Adobe volounteer) moved the thread to Photoshop Win Forum for the same reason.

Later, someone (whose name I won’t mention) took the time to let me know I was wrong whereas, of course, I was right in suggesting this guy to move his post to the other forum (because my post was in the thread, and not Jim’s) :

"Ray…

I believe yer lost, sonny.

Head down the road apiece, and ya know where the old Knoll house used to be? Keep going.

Then, when you get to that corner where old-man Cox rolled his haywagon, turn right. Go till you see the Burma Shave sign, and stop before you get to the last one.

Get out an’ holler real loud; a friendly Mr. Hewitt will be along to point you the rest of the way toward where yer goin’. "

And, of course, the guy posting the question in the first place never got an answer!

Ray, who definitively thinks some people have way too much free time 🙂
SR
Schraven Robert
Jul 23, 2003
Ray,

I get your point about the unhelpfulness of some in other forums. I hope you forgive me but when I read the persons unhelpful note I couldn’t help but wonder where he lives and what kind of accent he has in his speech. My guess is that he chews gum, comes from the southern states and walks around in cowboy boots. Am I right?

Robert from Europe
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
Naw, I figure the guy chewing gum and wearing the cowboy boots probably has more class than whoever posted that! 🙂
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
Robert, I have no clue because, frankly, I didn’t understand a word of what he wrote (or she.. ?) English is a second language to me.

Ray
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 23, 2003
Ray wrote:

You want to get an example of what I’m saying? Read this. A guy posted a Photoshop 7 question on the Photoshop Album forum. I kindly instructed him to post his question on the Photoshop Forum. Jim Lutte (Adobe volounteer) moved the thread to Photoshop Win Forum for the same reason.
I saw the same posting but had no idea, that it had been previously moved by a forum host. I too thought it was in the wrong forum but went ahead and answered the question as best I could.

Dave
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Now, Robert….let’s not be too harsh on people from southern states wearing cowboy boots and chewing gum…..we’re not all bad, honest!

🙂

Chuck (deep in the heart of Texas, with gum stuck on the heel of his cowboy boot…)
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
No, of course not. As not all Quebekers are seperatists, not all…are… 😉
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
Frankly I don’t think anybody would ever run up against that person face to face anywhere in the country – except maybe in a tavern around midnight just before the bouncer put him out the door. He sounds like the kind of smarta– that gets his jollies long distance. It would be interesting to know if the person uses his own name or hides behind a user name, except I’m too lazy to look. 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 24, 2003
Robert, home was meant for this forum 🙂
C
cookgreg
Jul 24, 2003
Hey… I’m a newbie! Could someone chew me up and spit me out so I feel at home? I like it here as well. Everyone on this side of the fence puts there pants on one leg at a time versus the other side where Geeves the butler does it for them while they look down their long noses at him. 🙂 (Insert snappy rim shot here)
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
Wow, cookgreg-the-newbie, we usually like to do everything we can to accommodate requests from newcomers for "help", but I’m not sure anybody here can handle this one! I get a touch snippy every once in a while, but I have to be in a really bad mood before that happens. The day has just been going too well. Maybe later? 🙂
C
cookgreg
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks Beth, I’ll take your raincheck then. 😉

As for the topic at hand, I’ve been using PS for about 5 months. The product itself can be intimidating at the beginning. Prior to coming into the Elements U2U, I hovered in the Photoshop forums w/o posting. One thing I observed was anxious newbies who, understandibly want to know how to do THIS right now without doing any research on their own. That is when I saw "the regulars" eat them up. I don’t think their intention was to curb enthusiasm, but rather to encourage them to dig through all the bells and whistles for themselves. THEN, if they still had questions, it would be alright to post. They just use (at times)a snide tone to express it. Me, I’ll just relax in here you where I don’t have to worry about fangs and claws if that is alright with all of you.

Greg
GD
Grant Dixon
Jul 24, 2003
cookgreg

"Could someone chew me up"

Wow … this reminds me of the spat between the masochist and the sadist. The masochist said "Hit me, just go a head and hit me." The sadist said "No."

g.
D
dhoganjr
Jul 25, 2003
Ray,

I too saw your helpful post redirecting the person to the correct forum. I’ve read enough forums to have realized that it was most likely reposted by a moderator and was appalled at the responses you received.

By the way, I go to Montreal each year for the Grand Prix, what a beautiful city you have! (You live in Montreal right?) In fact, it was the pictures I have taken at the Grand Prix which got me started with all this Adobe stuff. Maybe someday DSL will come to my little rural part of heaven…sorry, New Hampshire, and I will be able to post some.

After my initial post I was a bit concerned that I may have offended some users; it’s nice to see that I was not alone in my feelings. Thanks again to everyone fo the help over the years!
R
Ray
Jul 25, 2003
dhoganjr,

Yes, I live in Montreal. Asside from attending the Grand Prix, did you have time to visit the city ? Old Montreal, perhaps ?

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 25, 2003
dhoganjr,

On your next trip, be sure to visit Old Montreal. You’ll get a really good sense of old Europe. And the restaurants are all fabulous and for a very reasonable price! From there, take a walk in the Old Port, and enjoy the festivities, and perhaps an IMAX movie as well 🙂

From Montreal (driving), we’ve visited New York, Plattsburg, Burlington, Saratoga Spring (very charming city!), and of course, Toronto and Ottawa. Next trip is New Brunswick.

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 25, 2003
Jane

Chateau Frontenac!!! Wow, a fabulous place to go on a honeymoon! Quebec city is very charming, all year round. In February, there’s the Carnival. However, I don’t like cold, so I’ve never attended.

Perhaps should you post a picture of grand mother to Grant so that it would turned into a retouch Challenge ? Would be fun to see what people can make of an old picture!

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 25, 2003
That was before I joined here. I arrived in the 1900’s 🙂

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 26, 2003
These pictures are either in our attic or my brother’s so I had better start looking for them. There are some neat ones that I remember, so thats yet another winter project for me! PSE sure does great things for old photos, I remember the first challenges. Jane
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 27, 2003
Chuck,

While you in Texas have chewing gum stuck to your boot heels, I, in Louisiana, have the more frequent problem of boot heel stuck to the chewing gum in my mouth-the classic hoof-in-mouth disease.

Carl
P
Phosphor
Jul 27, 2003
Carl,

Where in Louisiana are you located?

Bob
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 27, 2003
Chuck,

In Canada, we have mad cow on our cowboy boots, especially in the western regions.

Dave
P
Phosphor
Jul 28, 2003
Carl,

That’s a beautiful park. I love the old oak trees.

I’ve only been to New Orleans once and that’s been a while ago. I’d like to go back some day.

At the time I was there, I didn’t know that I had early Louisiana ancestors — I didn’t get interested in genealogy until later. Now that I know, I’d kind of like to see some of the areas where they lived. They ranged from New Orleans, Pointe Coupee, and up into what is present day Monroe. My great-great-great grandfather drowned in False River near Pointe Coupee in the early 1790’s.

Bob
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 28, 2003
Audobon park where they have horses. Its a pretty stable location

Horses, stable location? I couldn’t resist!!

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections