R
Posted By
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was on the Photoshop and Photoshop Album forum. So far, Elements and Album are the worst when it comes to speed (via a newsreader, that is), and Photoshop is almost as fast as it was before.

Anybody else noticed that ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JA
JoAnn Amerson
Aug 18, 2003
Can this "new" layout be read in Outlook? :confused:
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
I can read it, no problem. The only problem I have is that emoticons appear in :text:

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 18, 2003
Hi Ray, I miss our class,, even though I got way behind, I learned so much! Saw your Challange entries, the first one is awesome, a bit of Bryce perhaps? Beautiful! This sure is a neat Challange.

I still can’t get the regular forum to work with Netscape 4, so I have to use IE. Very very slow,,,,,,, (Mac)

(Douglass=Carter, it is my maiden name, can’t remember why I use it on the IE part.) ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope Adobe gets this back to normal soon, I need it.
Jane
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 18, 2003
Forum speed is still a major issue here; it simply is unacceptable at the moment in web mode. It works a little better in newsgroup mode, but it still takes a long time for posts to be processed. Hopefully, the Adobe folks are still on the case…
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 18, 2003
Still having trouble here using Agent newsreader and adobeforums.com. Working well using other nntp servers, however.

Dick
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2003
Well, it is normal for this to happen when upgrading WebX. I would not be surprised if this continues for another couple of days, actually. Wouldn’t mind it so much myself if it weren’t for the purpose of something as hideous as the new interface, though.
KW
Ken Wolin
Aug 18, 2003
I’ve got broadband access and since the format change, it feels like I’m back to the days of a 14.4 modem!

Anyone else have the adage, "If it ain’t broke…" strumming through their thoughts?
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2003
Y’all might want to read this:

John Cornicello, "Forums Performance Issues" #, 18 Aug 2003 8:35 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

BTW, I have decided the new look is just too painful to waste time looking at, so I probably won’t be around here much in the future. Anyone who needs help with any mac-ish stuff, if Joe Henry and others aren’t around, please feel free to e- me at bbATseasidemusic.com.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 18, 2003
Well, i don’t want to complain too much. I’m here in between working on graphics/taking care of little ones/ housecleaning/laundry/dishes/sunning ๐Ÿ˜Ž but when i’m here I want to get through it at a ‘normal’ speed…this is MY time and i hate wasting it waiting for pages to open. I don’t want to complain though.

Hi Beth ! we’re back ๐Ÿ˜‰
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 18, 2003
Hi Barbara and everybody, I hope that Adobe can put this back to normal, because I sure am having a lot of trouble too with this ‘new’ forum. I can’t even get the pages to load half the time.

I need you people! I read and study this forum daily.
Could we all go over to the Yahoo Elements forum until this gets repaired? Jane Carter :frown:
JD
Joe Degelia
Aug 18, 2003
Anyone know if there is a site on instructions and use of this new format? Guess I’m not up to speed on symbols & stc.
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
Barbara, use a newsreader software (like Outlook Express). Asside from the very, very annoying :boring: and :totally_null: conversion we have for emoticons, you’ll be able to skip the interface. I know I have no intentions on reading the forum on the web myself as of now.
PD
Pete D
Aug 18, 2003
Ray,

You know it has been almost six months ago that you were nice enough to give me detailed instructions on setting up the Adobe news group in Outlook Express. Thanks again! It really has been nice using it. (and even better right now).

Pete
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2003
I wish I could access the forum in a newsreader… but, since I’ve always accessed them via browser, I don’t know the NNTP server’s address.

Would someone mind posting the server?

Emoticonlessly yours,

Byron

(I decided to edit, just for drill, to see how it behaves in the new format. Just clicked the EDIT button after my post, and added this parenthetical note.)
P
Phosphor
Aug 18, 2003
Barbara – please don’t go – your contributions here are invaluable. But I do understand. This is slow and unpleasant to look at on the web based viwer. I want my old forum back (please!).
Susan S
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks Pete… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you still have the procedure? Now would REALLY be a good time to get it posted again. ‘Coz I know a few people that are going crazy about this change Adobe just made.

Ray
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 18, 2003
Ray, and anyone else using the news reader who hates emoticons..so you know…when you use your keyboard to make smiles and winks it shows up as emoticons on the forum ๐Ÿ˜‰ ha ha ha how ironic ! ( sorry …but i thought it funny )
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
Hey Pete, thanks for keeping notes!!! I was getting ready to rewrite this tutorial again… You saved my evening :)))))

A big thanks to Pete!

Ray
JD
Juergen D
Aug 18, 2003
This is a test. Thanks Pete for posting the instructions. I was reading here, had problems posting though.

Juergen
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 18, 2003
YAY Pete !, I don’t need the tute but thought I wanted to say that anyways. Things just aren’t the same around here anymore. I miss my old forum ;( I’m so pathetic ๐Ÿ˜

Ray, glad you thought so too ๐Ÿ˜‰
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 18, 2003
Juergen, if you’re posting from a newsgroup, you’re ‘in’!

๐Ÿ™‚

Chuck (newsgroup also)
R
Ray
Aug 18, 2003
How ’bout that… :eyes_closed_mouth_full:

You know, I had a rough day at work :exhausted_look: and my thoughts are not really clear currently :clouded_eyes: I sure hope there’s more icecream in the fridge to cheer me up :bpdat:, and if it’s chocolate :fridge_door_open:, so much the better :spoon_and_bowl_ready:

This is exactly, with a little sarcasm, what we’re seeing at my end, and that of many other newsreader software users like me.

No fun :thinking_of_leaving_this_board_as_well:

My point is that the translation from text to emoticons goes fine from one way to the other, but not
backwards. This is an adult forum, for semi to professional users (semi includes home amateurs like
me and everybody else). Avatars and emoticons just don’t seem to fit well in here. They are fine on Messengers, and again, I use them a lot (even discovered a few hidden ones!) But this is not a an informal cruising chat room. It’s a place to get help, to discuss work related issues. May I remind everybody that when a discussion gets too much out of topic, we are politely but firmly reminded to keep it on topic, and that, often it gets closed by a moderator?

Perhaps this new design would be more suited for Photoshop Lounge, Premier Parlor, or some other forums alike these?

:my_2ยข_worth:

Ray
P.S. 2 canadian ยข = 1.42 US ยข… so my opinion just doesn’t represent the one of the majority, I am
sure!
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 18, 2003
Oh Pete, I sent that e-mail to you and it came back to me…said your box was full or something like that.

Hi Chuck ๐Ÿ˜‰
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 18, 2003
Jodi: I’m going to have to log onto the forum just to see your use of emoticons; the one you used in your last message in this thread was translated as "neutral". Hard to imagine Jodi as neutral….

๐Ÿ™‚

Chuck
JD
Juergen D
Aug 18, 2003
Yes, Chuck, I am. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Juergen
TB
Terry Boyles
Aug 18, 2003
Please Adobe!! Help us out here. This new format is terrible.

Terry :angry:
PD
Pete D
Aug 18, 2003
Ray,

<<< This is an adult forum, >>>

Hey,…. most are just big kids around here ๐Ÿ™‚

(but speaking of adult forum I am still working on an entry for this week that is real adult.
SS
Susan Stewart
Aug 18, 2003
On 19/8/03 9:16 AM, in article
, "Ray"
wrote:

How ’bout that… :eyes_closed_mouth_full:

You know, I had a rough day at work :exhausted_look: and my thoughts are not really clear currently
:clouded_eyes: I sure hope there’s more icecream in the fridge to cheer me up :bpdat:, and if it’s
chocolate :fridge_door_open:, so much the better :spoon_and_bowl_ready:
This is exactly, with a little sarcasm, what we’re seeing at my end, and that of many other
newsreader software users like me.

No fun :thinking_of_leaving_this_board_as_well:

My point is that the translation from text to emoticons goes fine from one way to the other, but not
backwards. This is an adult forum, for semi to professional users (semi includes home amateurs like
me and everybody else). Avatars and emoticons just don’t seem to fit well in here. They are fine
on Messengers, and again, I use them a lot (even discovered a few hidden ones!) But this is not a
an informal cruising chat room. It’s a place to get help, to discuss work related issues. May I
remind everybody that when a discussion gets too much out of topic, we are politely but firmly
reminded to keep it on topic, and that, often it gets closed by a moderator?
Perhaps this new design would be more suited for Photoshop Lounge, Premier Parlor, or some other
forums alike these?

:my_2ยข_worth:

Ray
P.S. 2 canadian ยข = 1.42 US ยข… so my opinion just doesn’t represent the one of the majority, I am
sure!
I’m with you Ray (posting from a newsreader….) Anyone know a half decent Mac OSX newsreader? – Entourage which I use for mail doesn’t thread the posts very nicely.
Susan S
PD
Pete D
Aug 18, 2003
Juergen,

I thought you said you had been using the news reader thing all along?
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 18, 2003
Bryon

If you want to use the Adobe server, just type in adobeforums.com when identifying the news server.

Not sure who your ISP is but there is probably an NNTP (news server) associated with it.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
R
Ray
Aug 19, 2003
Susan, isn’t Outlook Express available for Mac OS X as well? I think so. It would do you a nice basic package, fairly easy to use!

Ray
R
Ray
Aug 19, 2003
I am sorry for having let the steam go out the way I just did. I think I’ll take a break and come back later.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 19, 2003
Ray, it’s OK … we all have those days….maybe you should go vent on the Album Forum ๐Ÿ˜‰ …just kidding really < smiles>

Pete, did you get my message on the other thread ? I sent you that e-mail and it came back to me…somethin’ ’bout your disc being full.
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
Is it me or is the newsreader version slower to download now as well? And I have to remember to turn the autoquotes off posting from there. Sorry about that. I think Ray is quite entitled to vent.
Susan S
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 19, 2003
Well, I hope this speeds up over the next couple of days ’cause I’m at the point where I’m ready to give up. It just takes too long to go through the messages….let’s not even talk about posting…that’s a whole other show.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 19, 2003
Susan, I think you’re right about the download/upload speed of the newsreader version being affected as well, alhtough it’s not quite as dramatic a difference here.
Hopefully, they’re still ironing out the wrinkles…
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 19, 2003
Jodi, don’t give up!! Have you tried using a newsreader? It’s a least a stopgap measure to keep things going…
JD
Juergen D
Aug 19, 2003
Chuck, Jodi,

Well I’m still trying to get used to this thing. I just sent Jodi an email, also asking her to use the newsreader, meaning to post it here. I guess some practice will come in handy. Sorry…

Juergen
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 19, 2003
Please don’t give up! Adobe WILL fix this thing, it might take them a little time. PSE is the greatest, and this is the best place to ask and learn.

I have no clue about news groups/readers or whatever you call them, this forum when working properly, is fantastic! Everything you need is right where we can go back and read and study.

What with a massive power outage, bad weather, and this forum having problems, it’s been a nasty week. But it will all work out eventually.

Jane ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€
JD
Juergen D
Aug 19, 2003
Jane,

Right!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Juergen
PD
Pete D
Aug 19, 2003
Juergen

The newsgroup reader is nice because you can go to the forum on your browser too if you need to for any reason. All the posts that you have read in Outlook will still be showing as unread on the web forum. But if that bothers you you can always click the "all messages" under a thread and that will mark them all as read.

But I have found that I rarely go to the web anymore.
JD
Juergen D
Aug 19, 2003
Pete,

I agree. It just takes some getting used to. I keep hitting the reply button instead of ‘reply group’… and I send out an email instead of posting here. But I’ll get it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Juergen
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 19, 2003
Byron Gale wrote:
I wish I could access the forum in a newsreader… but, since I’ve always accessed them via browser, I don’t know the NNTP server’s address.

Would someone mind posting the server?

adobeforums.com
You’ll have to enter your username and password.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 19, 2003
Susan Stewart wrote:
I’m with you Ray (posting from a newsreader….) Anyone know a half decent Mac OSX newsreader? – Entourage which I use for mail doesn’t thread the posts very nicely.
Susan S

I’m using Mozilla.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 19, 2003
Susan S. wrote:
And I have to remember to turn the autoquotes off posting from there.

Actually, I asked around (not here, but in faq, or something) and was told that it’s not that they don’t want you to quote, it’s that they just don’t want you to quote entire messages. You can leave in the part that you’re actually responding to.
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
Terry – it certainly is a bit better – but still slower than it was. And I notice an apology sign for the slow access times has gone up at the top of the page.
Susan S.
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 19, 2003
This morning -it’s 09.00 AM here- the speed seems to be back to normal.

Leen
DS
Dick Smith
Aug 19, 2003
Chuck,

I found the that the Adobe newsfeed was running slower, however my ISP’s newserver is much quicker when reading this forum. Hmmmm…..

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 19, 2003
OMG !!!! I feel like I have broadband !!! Pages are moving super fast…YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it stays this way !

Is it possible it’s because it’s early in the morn and there are fewer people on ? I hope that’s not the case cause I’m lovin’ this now !

Houray ! ๐Ÿ˜€
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
Wish it were so! I’m having the worst response yet. Even worse than on the weekend. Hope they fix it soon.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
I use a newsreader, but I just used the web interface to see how it compared and it’s even slower. It was taking a full minute to display the text of the message and even then the emoticons continued to pop up across the bottom for another minute. Some pages timed out and I couldn’t access them at all.

You would need the patience of Job to use the web interface.

Bob
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 19, 2003
Speed is totally back to normal for me, and I’m using a newsreader. I suspect that part of the problem has been the internet in general, though. *Everything* was slow yesterday. I heard that someone wrote a virus that was supposed to go out, infect peoples’ Windows machines, and then do nothing but download the Windows Updates that would correct some known problem. I wonder if that slowed things down yesterday? What a virus! ๐Ÿ˜‰
P
Phosphor
Aug 19, 2003
My observations, and my 2ยข…

Using the web access to the forum is excruciating. It takes several minutes for the topic list to appear, and then a few more for the individual thread to open, completely. All of the emoticon .GIFs have to load individually, so that takes some additional time, it seems.

I set up Outlook Express, yesterday (Thanks, Pete and Ray), and have been using it since then. It responds in a reasonable amount of time.

Maybe I won’t give my 2ยข after all… suffice it to say that I have opinions. It’s clear that there are technical difficulties still to be resolved. In fairness, I think that I’ll withhold comment until the powers that be ask for input, or declare the project complete.

Byron
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 19, 2003
Above it states they are still working on it…i see we have another new look..i like it. can’t wait t’il it’s all done !

My name is Jodi and I am addicted to this forum

wait wait, it’s the people on it that cheer me ๐Ÿ˜‰
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 19, 2003
This morning it seemed okay. It is a little after midnight now and today it was worse than ever before. Now, at 0.45 it is a little better again, but still rather slow.

Just like Jodi I like the renewed new look. I can hardly wait till the ones working on this project can have a good nights rest.

Unfortunately the newsreader isnot a good solution for my impatience. Too many messages are missing.

Leen
P
Phosphor
Aug 20, 2003
This thread (message #4) has a recent recap of the status of the "upgrade" currently happening to the forums.

Forums Operations, "Upcoming maintenance and upgrade to Forums" #2, 15 Aug 2003 2:35 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50/1>
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone notice we are back on track or are we just crossing our fingers and keeping quiet ( t’il now )
SR
Schraven Robert
Aug 20, 2003
It is wednesday morning in Europe now and I have been able to have a first look at the forum since yesterday morning. Because when the US went to work I wasn’t able to log into the forum at all.

Now that the US is asleep all is in order. Compared to yesterday the site is faster and the lay out has been changed again.
If they tweek the lay out even further we are back to the old one we had up untill a few days ago before the system upgrade.

Robert:sheepish:
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 20, 2003
I think the people involved can go to sleep now after many hectic hours. It ‘s working fine now; I like the new look.

Leen
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 20, 2003
Working OK on Netscape and Mac now. Thanks Adobe, I can’t get along without learning from the great people on this forum! I am happy now.
Jane
B
BobHill
Aug 20, 2003
Hopefully the speed will pick up soon. I’d not look for a change back to the "old" look, however (sad to say .. as I liked it better too).

Bob
B
BobHill
Aug 20, 2003
Jodi,

You’ll note the number of postings here. Perhaps that’s why. But I’m noticing not much difference between this thread and others. Once it’s been opened, the next time seems to come faster, but in between topics it’s a bummer. They say that’ll lighten up "soon" … Ugh

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections