GS
Posted By
George Stilley
Jul 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks to several for advice on how to unlock a layer that was automatically saved as a background layer, so I couldnt move around the images I had. I wish Id looked sooner! So I changed the name of the background layer and unlocked, I presume.

But!! it still wouldnt let me separate the images, so I could insert more?

Looks like ungroup should have done it, but ungroup & group were both dimmed. I’d like to know how to prevent the probs in the future.Especially since I was trying to paste images ont a background blank page(collage) and I have lots more to do.

I was using Photoshop Elements.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ray
Jul 16, 2003
George,

Did you use Paste or Paste Into ? Use Paste, that will put the image on a seperate layer.

Ray
GS
George Stilley
Jul 16, 2003
Yes I was sure I had used paste when I first put the other pics in.

Came back a day or two later & they
were locked in a background layer. Dont understand that either.
RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 17, 2003
George,

I can think of two possibilities why you would have your images be locked in a background layer. 1) What Ray said, that you are using paste into instead of paste, or 2) That you are saving your images in a file type that doesn’t support layers, like jpeg. Images you want to work on later in layers are best saved as PSD.

Rich
NS
Nancy S
Jul 17, 2003
George,

To add a thought to Rich’s comment; if you were saving your file as a jpg (which would present you with a single background layer when reopened) you could use File>Save As>scroll up .psd>rename if you desired a second version (instead of overwritting).

Jpg does not support transparency nor layers.

Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections