Posted By
Jeff_Tarak
Oct 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First, here is my specific NEW problem since loading onto my new PC:

When working on any project with multiple layers, I cannot move any layers. Even the layers with no lock on them give me a message saying "could not complete your request because the layer is locked" I tried all the troubleshooting and reloaded the program twice. Nothing has helped. This occurs with all layers regardless if a lock symbol is showing or not. Happens with pictures and text.

Details: I have been using photoshop 2.0 for about 2 years on an old PC with windows 98 with no issues. I open a new file, drag new layers into it and move them freely without ever seeing this message. I just loaded photoshop onto my new windows XP PC with 5 times the memory and functions and have this new problem. Please read my details and help me with this. Any phone numbers available for phone support from anyone?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 1, 2006
Photoshop 2.0? Are you referring to Photoshop Elements 2.0?

If so, that forum is down the hall.

Bob
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 1, 2006
Or CS2 maybe?

Are you sure you are not on the Background layer? Is Auto Select checked (throwing you to Background)? Did you try trashing preferences?
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 1, 2006
Or CS2 maybe?

On Win98? For 2 years?

Not possible on either count.

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 1, 2006
I’d be very surprised if PS2 would run on and XP machine at all!
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 1, 2006
PS 2.0 was Mac only. The first Windows version was 2.5.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 18, 2006
If you’re going to be snotty, your help will be limited. In order to get good answers, you must ask good questions.

All images that are flattened have only a background, and it is locked by default. If you had layers in your image and saved it in a format that doesn’t support layers, like JPG, they will flatten automatically. You should always save originals.

I need to unlock them and get things back to normal.

What is normal? Did they have layers? What exactly is the problem?
LD
LIZ_DUBENITZ
Oct 20, 2006
I have about 100 photographic images stored in Photoshop 6. I have never fooled with layers and wouldn’t know how to anyway. I import photos from my scanner, camera, etc and store them in Photoshop 6 where I edit/crop them for size and color only.

I have always, since day one, been able to open my photo files, edit them (crop, change color, etc. and save them as jpegs). One day, for no apparent reason, every photo opens up with a strange layer lock that will not allow me to crop, edit, etc. I keep getting a window that says "sorry, can’t open because the layer is locked." I have no idea how this layer lock happened since I never fool with layers.

I don’t know how to explain it any simpler than that. I cannot edit any of my images because they are layer locked. I followed instructions about getting rid of the padlock icon and nothing changed.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 20, 2006
You still have a terminology problem.

It is hard to understand what you mean by "layer locked".

And you don’t store images "in Photoshop" you store them on your hard drive.

What file extension do they have? Can you open them in any other image viewer/editor?

Have you investigated their attributes in Windows Explorer?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Oct 20, 2006
Liz, if you have copied your images to your disk drive from a CD, they will be Read Only by default. Photoshop can open the files, but cannot save them.

If that’s the case, select all such files in Windows Explorer, right-click on any of them, select Properties, then uncheck the Read Only box.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 20, 2006
One day, for no apparent reason, every photo opens up with a strange layer lock that will not allow me to crop, edit, etc.

That has always been there; since you don’t work with layers, you just never noticed it. Images without layers are said to be Background images and are, by default, always locked.

I keep getting a window that says "sorry, can’t open because the layer is locked."

Can’t Open? That is inconsistent with

"every photo opens up "

I don’t know how to explain it any simpler than that.

I think you can.

I followed instructions about getting rid of the padlock icon and nothing changed.

Impossible.

Now. as I said and as John said, you have a terminology issue that is a barrier to helping us understand. It’s okay, we can get through it, but you will have to use pictures, most likely, unless we are to guess at every turn.

When you get an error message, look on your keyboard and press Print Scrn. Accept the error message, and then press Control N for New image, accept whatever the defaults are, then use Control V to past the clipboarad into that image.

Save it as a JPG and post it to one of the sites below, and tell us the link. Once we can have a look, you’re help will get much much better.

<http://www.pixentral.com/>
Pixentral

<http://www.imageshack.us/>
ImageShack® – Hosting

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections