W
Posted By
Wayneswhirld
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In PS CS I, I received files from a client that are locked. I’ve never dealt with this before. Help tells how to lock layers, but not how to unlock them. The result is when bring the tifs into Quark (6.5), the portion I worked on shows, but the locked parts don’t.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
You just click on the same buttons at the top of the layers palette to UNlock them that you (or your client) clicked to lock them originally.
(If a button is black, that feature is locked.)

However, a Background Layer always remains "locked" of course.
W
Wayneswhirld
Sep 29, 2006
Thanks for helpful suggestions, however, when bringing the image into Quark, still only the image I added to the existing image shows.

The image is just a Background layer and the lock indicates that it’s partially locked (hollow center). Everything above the background is grayed out including the "Normal" dropdown, Opacity, Lock items, and Fill. However, I see that this is normal for other files I have that are just backgrounds.

I used Get Info and it showed Read and Write, however, Details had my user name grayed out and Locked as the Owner. I thought this was the answer and unlocked that and my name became the owner. But despite that, the image still behaves as above.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
If the bottom layer is called "Background" (in Italics) it is permanently locked (regardless of whether it displays a lock with a hollow center!) and you can ONLY unlock it by turning it into a regular Layer by double-clicking it.

Layer controls such as "Normal" dropdown, Opacity, Lock items, and Fill will be grayed-out because you can’t change those features on a Locked Layer.

Is the image that you added on a separate layer?
And did you save the file after adding it?
Did you check to save Layers when you made the Tiff — and remove any alpha channels?

I don’t use QXP anymore so I don’t know how well it works with layered files.
W
Wayneswhirld
Sep 29, 2006
Thanks again for your help. The background is as you state. The image I added was a separate layer. Then I flattened it. I saved the file after adding it. Did I check to save Layers…if you mean in the Save dialog, where Layers and other things can be checked, all are grayed out except "As a Copy". As to removing any alpha channels, no…there are five Channels: CMYK, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.

I have InDesign CS1 and although I’m not real familiar with it yet, I brought the image in and the same thing happens. This is a first for me. Apparently the client will have to unlock or otherwise provide the correct type of files.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
In the Finder/Get Info dialog,
open the "General" panel at the top of the dialog, and UNcheck the box next to "Locked".

If you can’t do that, and you have Admin privileges, go to the Ownership and Permissions section at the bottom of the dialog.
Unlock the padlock under "Details. Make yourself the "Owner" and give yourself Access to both Read & Write. Then relock the padlock in that section.

Return to the General section and UNlock the file.
W
Wayneswhirld
Oct 8, 2006
My work associate and I solved this issue. When creating a layer and pasting it onto the existing background (and then flattening), even though all I did was make and paste a selection, a clipping path was somehow created. This caused the rest of the image to be invisible in the default settings of both Quark and InDesign. By changing the runaround setting in Quark, my associate informed me that the entire image was now visible. I then deleted the unwanted clipping path in Photoshop so that by default, the whole image now appears in Quark and InDesign.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections