PH
Posted By
Peggy_Herrington
Apr 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS3 a few days ago (though I’m an experienced CS2 and Photoshop 6 user) and opened Photoshop CS3 Extended today for the first time.

The problem I’m having is with unlocking the background layer. I read in the documentation and on the Net about double-clicking and renaming the layer (which is what I did in other versions), or creating a new file with a transparent background, but those things aren’t working for me in this version.

I opened a tiff file (a logo I want to use as the basis for a new image) but I can’t unlock the background layer so I can copy, manipulate or add to it. Everything on the Layers drop-down menu is grayed out, as are the word Lock: and the symbols following it in the Layers window.

I tried creating a new image but when File|New dialog box opens the option to use transparent in the Background Contents dropdown is grayed out, too.

I’d appreciate some help with this.

Thanks,
Peggy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CY
curt_young
Apr 20, 2008
If you right click on background can you duplicate layer or create layer from background?
PH
Peggy_Herrington
Apr 20, 2008
Hi Curt. Can’t do that either; all options on the flyout menu are greyed, too.
A
Alienjones
Apr 20, 2008
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

wrote:
| I installed CS3 a few days ago (though I’m an experienced CS2 and Photoshop 6 user) and opened Photoshop CS3 Extended today for the first time.
|
| The problem I’m having is with unlocking the background layer. I read in the documentation and on the Net about double-clicking and renaming the layer (which is what I did in other versions), or creating a new file with a transparent background, but those things aren’t working for me in this version.
|
| I opened a tiff file (a logo I want to use as the basis for a new image) but I can’t unlock the background layer so I can copy, manipulate or add to it. Everything on the Layers drop-down menu is grayed out, as are the word Lock: and the symbols following it in the Layers window. |
| I tried creating a new image but when File|New dialog box opens the option to use transparent in the Background Contents dropdown is grayed out, too.
|
| I’d appreciate some help with this.
|
| Thanks,
| Peggy

You do realize a *Background* is not a layer?

Before you can "unlock" it You first have either use the mask tool to cut and then paste it back or duplicate it.

– —

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFIC7yZhuxzk5D6V14RAo/KAKCe0R7pMO3PNSf4AFwe0wzzj9z2IwCf e4XY T7uivE7Jq/epKcDpjkL8O5U=
=nXDh
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 20, 2008
what’s the mode? (image> mode)
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Apr 21, 2008
Hold down the Alt key and double-click on the lock symbol on the background layer. It will rename to layer 0, unlocked.

-Chris.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Apr 21, 2008
"Alienjones" wrote in message

You do realize a *Background* is not a layer?
Background not a layer is purely semantics.
Before you can "unlock" it You first have either use the mask tool to cut and then paste it back or duplicate it.
Not on any version I have ever used you don’t.
Alt+double clicking will rename the Background to layer 0 without any masking or pasting.
Also, the OP and many others cannot see your post, they are posting in the Adobeforum, not this NG.
For some reason this NG periodically gets *leakage* from the forum. A total PITA!
TWK
S
Silkrooster
Apr 21, 2008
The only mode that I know of that will do what Peggy says is the multichannel mode.
N
nospam
Apr 21, 2008
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message
Also, the OP and many others cannot see your post, they are posting in the Adobeforum, not this NG.
For some reason this NG periodically gets *leakage* from the forum. A total PITA!
TWK

Oh is that what it is? "Leakage"?

I thought it was Adobe refusing to join the freaking 21st (or even 20th) century and implement quoting in their message forums, like the rest of planet Earth. As it is, the 80-odd% of us who read and try and help with these posts don’t have a fucking clue what anyone is responding to.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Apr 22, 2008
"nospam" wrote in message
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message
Also, the OP and many others cannot see your post, they are posting in the
Adobeforum, not this NG.
TWK

Oh is that what it is? "Leakage"?

I thought it was Adobe refusing to join the freaking 21st (or even 20th) century and implement quoting in their message forums, like the rest of planet Earth. As it is, the 80-odd% of us who read and try and help with these posts don’t have a fucking clue what anyone is responding to.

Leakage is a polite term for it, you never know who may be reading. 🙂 It used to be easy to spot the AF posters due to their address, but even some who post without the @adobeetc., are in the forum these days. They will go away again in a week or two and all will be sweetness and light again.(must hit some limit on downlaods or something)

TWK

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections