RD
Posted By
Ray_Dunakin
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently I had to reformat my hard drives on this computer, then reinstalled my apps. At the same time, I upgraded from PS v5.0 to v6.0.
Now Photoshop refuses to open, and I get an error message saying "Photoshop 6.0 can’t be opened because the file WindowsLib not found." I’m running OS 8.5 on an 8100.

I also have a G3 with OS 8.5, and Photoshop 6.0 runs just fine there. Yet when I search the drive for anything called "WindowsLib" I come up empty.

Anyone have a clue as to what’s going on??

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 12, 2004
Either that’s part of a third party plugin, or part of your OS.

It is not part of Photoshop.
RD
Ray_Dunakin
Feb 12, 2004
That’s what I figured, but I can’t understand why Photoshop won’t open without it. I wonder if there’s some problem with my hard drive that Norton hasn’t detected, that could be causing this??
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 12, 2004
More likely something missing from your OS install.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2004
I believe that you used to need WindowsLib to open images that came over the internet from Windows machines.
I also remember that it was an Extension that caused Macs to freeze! If you really want it, you should find it here:
< http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/libwww/Library/?hideattic=0&onl y_with_tag=Release-4-1b1>
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 12, 2004
No, I think it is part of MacOS 8 and 9.
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
Chris,

If WindowsLib is part of Mac OS 9.x, then it must be buried deep in the code. I’m on 9.2.2 and a Sherlock search on WindowsLib turns up nothing.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 12, 2004
There’s a WinSock Lib, could that be what you’re looking for?
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
Graham,

The original poster (see topic header), Ray, says he gets a message about WindowsLib. I’d never heard of that, so when Chris Cox wrote that it mat be part of OS 9, I went to search for it, out of sheer curiosity. Personally I’m not looking for anything.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 12, 2004
No I couldn’t find WindowsLib either. But I did find Winsock Lib, and thought that the original poster might have mistaken Winsock for Windows.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2004
It was Winsock Lib that I was think of — and I definitely remember that it caused conflicts and freezes!
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
I found this at the iCab site:

I get a <"WindowsLib" could not be found> error message. What is this?

This will happen for example if Quickdraw 3D is removed or not disabled correctly. Just remove/disable it completely or install Quickdraw 3D completely. (Note: full install of Quicktime on Classic MacOS will also install Quickdraw 3D).
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
So, Chris Cox was right –again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections