JL
Posted By
Judith_Lipmanson
Oct 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Had no problem installing the PS CS4 (update from CS3). On opening PS the first time, and every time after, I receive an error message:

"OWL Orphanage: Photoshop.exe – entry point not found."

This is followed by a bunch of numbers or addresses. After I shut the message, the program opens normally, and as farr as I’ve explored it, functions OK. Haven’t had time to really explore things.

Any idea what is producing this message?
Am running Win XP SP3.

J. Lipmanson

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Oct 28, 2008
An addendum to the above:

The other lines of the error message read:

"The Procedure Point could not be located in the DLL JP2Klib.DLL"
M
Mylenium
Oct 28, 2008
OWL is the interface library that draws all those nice buttons and panels. If it complains, then the skin (OWL) looses the connection to the actual function (code) of a button or panel. I could imagine that this would happen if you had a given tool used the last time you ran Photoshop and on startup, without an image being opened, this tool and its associated panel loose their context. It’s still a bug, though, so maybe you can provide more detailed info to the devs via the feature request/ bug report form:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/wish>

Mylenium
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Oct 28, 2008
Mylenium:

Thanks for the reply. I shall report the bug.
A bit more information. I did some checking and found that:

1. I do have the JP2Klib.DLL in the CS4 folder where it should be. I also have a copy in Lightroom 2.0 (I’m about to update LR to 2.1) and in Acrobat and a few other places.

2. I’ve had to manually re-Associate my NEFs and TIFs to PS CS4 even though I had done so in the install process. It evidently didn’t take.

3. I’ve tried every way I can think of to open PS CS4. I’ve done it through LR External Editing, directly calling the program from the desktop, and by double clicking on an image file, including NEFs/Bridge. All result in the same error message.

4. I have to correct part of my first post: the first time I opened PS4 immediately after install it did not produce the error message. That was a quick test just to make sure it was installed. I changed some minor settings and closed out the program — e.g., change the position of the tools palette (2-colums), loaded some of my old Actions.

Could one of these actions be producing the error message? I’ll unload them and see. If that fixes it will report back.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2008
This sounds like you have a bad install of the application, or something corrupting files or applications on your system.

A normal install should not get any messages like that.
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Oct 29, 2008
Chris:

Is the solution, then, to re-install? Does the PS4 installer also Repair?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 29, 2008
Try the repair install, and if that doesn’t work uninstall and reinstall.

Also, make sure you have checked your system for disk problems and malware.
DE
Dave_Evanson
Oct 29, 2008
Judith,
Remember to turn off any an antivirus software during the install.
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Oct 30, 2008
Chris:

I tried a repair install and that did not eliminate the problem. I did turn off my virus program. Rec’d no error messages.

I downloaded the Adobe Support Advisor and that tells me, after reading the insall log. that one of my fonts was locked. The instructions after that were not good and am not sure where, how, or if to proceed.

If I uninstall PS CS4 and then reinstall, do I have to inactivate the serial number as shown in the Help file? Will reinstalling help if I do nothing about the locked font problem?

Also, somewhere else in the forum I saw an Install hotline mentioned. Where do I find this number? I’ve been all over the support site and find no mention of a hotline. Other than this forum, Adobe support (free for installs)is very difficult, if at all possible, to find.

Appreciate your help.
TE
Tom_Ewing
Nov 4, 2008
I have the identical problem.
Has anybody got an answer yet?
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 4, 2008
Tom:

The only response I rec’d was to report it at the Report Bugs section of this forum. I can’t even find a bug report link. I’ve been very busy for the past 4 days but will try to find time to call Install tech support tomorrow. I have a number but don’t know if it’s the so-called Install Hotline– whose number seems to be a well-guarded secret.

Does anyone from Adobe monitor this forum?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 4, 2008
Chris Cox is major Adbe PS engineer.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 4, 2008
Adobe engineers monitor the forums at times like this, where a major upgrade has rolled out, but only on an informal basis. They help where they can.

If you think action is required the correct formal route is a bug report. It is well hidden!

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 4, 2008
John:

Thanks for the link. I have posted the problem, with supporting details.

Hope that someone takes notice and either offer a solution or fix the bug, if it is one.
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 4, 2008
Tom:

I posted the bug to the bugfix section. We’ll see what’s what on this. You should do the same. If two people report it, notice may be taken.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 4, 2008
Good luck!
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 4, 2008
Will let you know what transpires, if anything.
AM
Arnon_Moscona
Nov 5, 2008
Also seeing "The Procedure Point could not be located" after CS4 install. This started happening only after the second time I launched it (the first time was fine. Note that the second launch was after a reboot. I’m running Vista ultimate 64 bit SP1 on a machine with 8GB RAM and 1.255TB disk space.

Other than this error message I see no significant problems (a few small bugs, but nothing serious so far)
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 5, 2008
Arnon:

I keep a log of all installations and update. When I checked I saw that I had the same experience as you. I let the installer open PS the first time before I closed out the installer. No error message. I then opened it again a few minutes later via it’s Icon, which I keep on my QuickLaunch bar. No error message.

When I booted up the next morning and loaded PS, the error message started.
FM
Fred M Stevens
Nov 6, 2008
did you install just Photoshop, or do you have a suite (like Design Premium)?

I know with the suites, you get extra features (and some of those are supported by services that run when you start the computer).

When you started up Photoshop, did you specify any scratch disk settings?

try re-creating the Photoshop preference files, which will put the settings back to default. If you’re on Vista, see Step 3 in the following doc for instructions:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404897>

if on XP, see Step 5 in this doc:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404896>
E
Ender
Nov 6, 2008
Judith,

goto c:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3 and drag the entire Plug-ins folder out and onto the desktop.

Does the error happen now? You will likely get a different error about a Java Script plug-in, but what your trying to find out is if the OWL message stops.
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 6, 2008
Found It!!

Ender and Fred:

Didn’t get to try Fred’s suggestion as Ender’s gave me another idea that fixed the problem — although it’s actually a work-around, and this is a bug.

Ender you said to move the CS3 plugins folder. I didn’t know if that was a typo or not, so I tried it with both the CS3 and CS4 plugins. Neither did anything, but I got no additional error messages, just the usual OWL error.

I decided to try Fred’s suggestion of eliminating the Preferences so opened them up to record my current settings. On a hunch I unchecked my Additional Plug-ins folder, which is on my second drive, D. I do this because I got tired of losing or copying or installing all my own plugins when I went to a new version. In CS3 I use the same additional plugins setting and there is no problem.
When I unchecked the Additional Plugins folder, the message disappeared. Don’t know if the problem is that the additional folder is on another drive or if it’s because some of my plugins are incompatible with CS4. This is a bug.

Fred – To answer your questions, I do not have any of the suites. I have standalone PS/Bridge and Lightroom. I also have the full Adobe Acrobat. When I first loaded PS-CS4 from the installer I immediately set my preferences, and yes, I did set the scratch disk. I also set the additional plugins folder. The second time I loaded PS was after a reboot, and the error message appeared for the first time.
MW
Mike Wickham
Nov 6, 2008
I’m having a similar problem. When I open Photoshop, I get an "Owl Orphanage: Photoshop.exe – Entry Point Not Found" Window with this error: "The procedure entry point ? could not be located in the dynamic link library JP2KLib.dll."

I removed the only add-on plugin I’ve installed (PhotoKit Sharpener) and the problem remained. I removed the preferences file and let Photoshop regenerate a new one. That works for exactly one loading of Photoshop. Every time I open Photoshop after that, I get the error again.

Any ideas?

Mike Wickham
Windows XP Pro SP3, Creative Suite 4 Design Premium
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 6, 2008
Mike:
I unchecked the preferences box that said to USE a second plug_in folder. Did you just uninstall the plugin or did you uncheck a second plugin folder in the prefs?

I cannot reboot my system during weekday business hours, so don’t know if it will return after a boot. Will learn that tomorrow morning. Intend to try it first thing in the AM.
E
Ender
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah that was a typo. At least I knew it was a plugin. =D
J
JenniferHodges
Nov 7, 2008
Thank you Judith!

I was getting the Owl Orphanage error and could not find the problem. After reading your post I removed an incompatable filter from my plugins folder and… no more error at start up of Photoshop CS4!
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 7, 2008
Jennifer:

Glad that it gave you a hint as to the cause. Now, I have an update, and a slightly red face about it.

After a reboot this morning, there was no error message, thank goodness. For some reason I went back into my preferences and made sure that the Second Plug-in location was unchecked. I noticed, much to my surprise, that I had had it pointing to the wrong subdirectory when it was checked! In the recent past I had changed the name of the subdirectory where I store my additional plugins and had pointed CS4 to the old name. When I pointed the second plugin directory to the right place, rebooted, and loaded CS4, no error message.

Between the two of us, it appears that the error can occur if 1) the second plugin directory does not exist, or 2) if it points to an incompatible plugin in the second directory. There are probably more things that will trigger the error, relating to plug-ins. I’m just happy it’s gone.

It would be better if the conditions above triggered a more helpful error message.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2008
Out of curiousity – what old filter was causing this?
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 8, 2008
Only Jennifer can answer that. I have a bunch of old plug-ins in my second plug-in directory and Pshop CS4 so far isn’t bothered by them when loading. That may change when I start using them.
E
Ender
Nov 8, 2008
Probably, considering that those plug-ins were designed for previous versions of PS.
MW
Mike_Wickham
Nov 10, 2008
Aha! I solved my Owl Orphanage issue (see message #22 above). I should have gotten a clue from the "JP2KLib.dll" in the error message. It was the old, optional, JPEG2000 file format plugin installed from the CS4 CD "goodies" folder. Once I removed it, the error disappeared.
AM
Arnon_Moscona
Nov 10, 2008
Confirmed!

I removed my old copy of the JPEG2000 plugin (in pligins/file formats) and the problem went away.

Thanks Mike!

Arnon
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 10, 2008
How did the old plug-in get to the CS4 goodies. Did you copy it from CS3?

Again, it would be nice to have more descriptive/interpretive error messages. I’m beginning to think this is some kind of IQ test.
MW
Mike_Wickham
Nov 10, 2008
How did the old plug-in get to the CS4 goodies. Did you copy it from CS3?

Well, son of a gun. I thought I got it off the Goodies folder on one of the CS4 DVDs. The readme file on the DVD says it’s there, and there’s a download link for "Legacy Optional Plug-ins." But I just remembered that, when I downloaded that, the plug-in wasn’t there, either. So I did copy the JPEG2000 version from CS3.
AM
Arnon_Moscona
Nov 10, 2008
In my case I copied it from CS3. Since the Installer does not offer to copy third party plugins from older versions (I think it should), then every time I upgrade photoshop I have to manually copy all my plugins to the new version (being careful not to overwrite anything in the new directory). In most cases most of them are compatible (some have problems). So I just followed my "normal procedure", but didn’t expect photoshop itself to complain (and without identifying the source of the problem)
JL
Judith_Lipmanson
Nov 10, 2008
Arnon:

I have gotten around the problem with my own plug-ins and PS updates by putting all of them into my Second Plug-in directory (per the preferences option) on another drive that contains only data files. The never get overwritten. All my programs are on C, and data files are on D. Some plug-ins require re-installation, however, because they are also stand-alone programs that have hooks in Pshop. If a plug-in complains about the updated PS I usually try to see if it has a corresponding update to make it compatible.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Nov 10, 2008
Hi,

The JPEG2000 plug-in is not distribute on the CS4 DVDs. You can download a copy from here:

(Win) < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4050> (Mac) < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4049>
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2008
Arnon Moscona

If you put third-party plug-ins in a separate folder, when you upgrade you simply have to point PS at that folder in Edit > Preferences > PlugIns.

Not all plug-ins will work in a new version. You may notice all sorts of people having all sorts of problems with old plug-ins if you look around in here.
MW
Mike_Wickham
Nov 10, 2008
The JPEG2000 plug-in is not distribute on the CS4 DVDs. You can download a copy from here:

(Win) < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4050> (Mac) < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4049>

Thanks! The link in the readme file on the CS4 disk is wrong. It points at the optional plugins that ARE included on the disk, instead of the missing ones.
AM
Arnon_Moscona
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the tip!
CG
Chrisopher_Grant
Nov 16, 2008
Hi All,

I had the same Owl Orphanage problem but I was missing 2 .dll files. I copied them from CS3 into CS4 and the error stopped. Thanks for the tips.
KB
Kerry_Bremer
Nov 26, 2008
I had this same problem. Thanks to things suggested here I was able to fix the problem. Deleting the file "E:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li" seems to have fixed the problem. I started by removing all plugins till the bad one was found.

Thanks.
VF
Vibeke_Friis
Nov 29, 2008
I removed my Jpg 2000 plugin, which I had copied from you CS3. PS loaded just fine. I next downloaded the extra plugins from this site, and put them in a separate folder folder, ticked addition plugins and directed it to that folder.
PS still works and I have JPG 2000. the problem definitely seems to be with the plugins, and keeping new ones separate,makes it easier to find the problem ones.
I initially had a lot more error messages which slowly disappeared as removed old plugins.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 29, 2008
the problem definitely seems to be with the plugins, and keeping new ones separate,makes it easier to find the problem ones.

I think it would be a good idea for Adobe to make this plug-in business very clear in the installation instructions.

It may be obvious (especially moving from 32 bit to 64 bit) to the more experienced but it’s clear a lot of people are falling into the trap.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2008
I removed my Jpg 2000 plugin, which I had copied from you CS3.

it’s NEVER advisable to copy plugins from one version of photoshop to another. this has been true as far back as i can remember. that you had copied it from an older photoshop version would have been a good piece of info to include in the original post, helping the people here to help more quickly…

glad you sorted it out.
K
kabeck
Dec 16, 2008
The jpeg2000 plug-in for vista 64 and PSCS4 (64 bit) DOES not work!!!

I have created a separate plug-in folder for both CS4 32 bit and 64 bit.

The 32 bit version of the jpeg2000 works fine. The 64 bit Jpeg plug-in in the 64 bit CS4 fails with the following error…

" This application has failed to start because JP2Klib.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix problem…"

I think Adobe must not be testing the plug-ins anymore or at least on 64 bit software……
SG
steve_guilhamet
Dec 16, 2008
I just confirmed on Vista64 that the jpeg2000 x64 plug-in loads and works when installed inside the Ps x64 application directory, and when pointing to an additional plug-in folder. Please check to make sure you have the correct plug-in and correct path for the x64 target. The 32 bit plug-in is slightly smaller than the 64 bit.

The message however appears to be complaining about a missing .dll. That should be present in the main application directory and has nothing to do with the legacy plug-in. Can you check for that file here C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)?
TH
thanh_hatam
Mar 1, 2009
I have the same "scriptingsupport.8li" error.But when I try to delete the related plugin,I cannot open files in Browse,it then displays warning message "…because Photoshop was unable to find Javascript plugin".

Anyone have the solution?
TH
thanh_hatam
Mar 1, 2009
I have the same problem with "scriptingsupport.8li" error.When I try to delete the related plugin,I cannot open file in Browse,it display the message "…Photoshop was unable to find Javascript plugin".
Anyone has solution?.
Thanks in advance.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
The scripting support plugin is necessary for Bridge to interact with Photoshop.

Why did you remove the scripting support plugin?
Please put it back where it belongs.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections