PD
Posted By
Peter Detheridge
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I previously sent this but forgot to to indicate I am using PS7 on PC.

I am not understanding colour workspaces. Especially RGB setup. In some graphics applications you can define a work flow from scanner to monitor to printer each may have their own ICC profile. In Photoshop 7 I get to to pick one for everything it seems.

I scan most of my images with HP Scanjet 3C (has specific ICC profile) and print on HP5550 (HP recommends the device independent sRGB profile). Should I set RGB profile to suit my scanner or to the device independent sRGB?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TT
Tom Thackrey
Jul 20, 2003
On 19-Jul-2003, "Peter Detheridge" wrote:

I previously sent this but forgot to to indicate I am using PS7 on PC.
I am not understanding colour workspaces. Especially RGB setup. In some graphics applications you can define a work flow from scanner to monitor to
printer each may have their own ICC profile. In Photoshop 7 I get to to pick one for everything it seems.

I scan most of my images with HP Scanjet 3C (has specific ICC profile) and print on HP5550 (HP recommends the device independent sRGB profile). Should
I set RGB profile to suit my scanner or to the device independent sRGB?

Workspaces are different from color profiles. The ICC profile is device/paper/ink dependent and is used to attempt to render accurate colors on that device. The color workspace is a device independent mapping of the pixel values in the image file to specific colors. AdobeRGB, for example, has a bigger color space than sRGB, that means that you can represent a wider range of colors with the AdobeRGB workspace. (Bigger is not always better because a given printer may not be able to render all the colors in a particular color space.

I suggest further reading:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm
http://www.outbackphoto.com/color_management/cm_01/essay.htm l

Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections